I have 2 Mac minis running Big Sur and central cannot tell them apart

Gresham
Gresham
edited January 2022 in Central & Subscriptions

I have 2 Mac minis running Big Sur and central cannot tell them apart. Instead of using the unique identifier of each Mac, Bitdefender appears to be using the MAC address of en6. En6 is always the same on each Mac mini

en6: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

ether ac:de:48:00:11:22 

inet6 fe80::aede:48ff:fe00:1122%en6 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5 

nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>

En6 is used by a Mac to access the internet when there is a USB tethered iPhone.

How do I force Bitdefender to use the physical ethernet or wifi MAC address so as to avoid confusing Bitdefender central. Or better yet, can central use the UUID of the system????

-Michael

Best Answer

Answers

• NuffinKnown
    edited February 2021

I have this same issue. Installed Anti-Virus on 1 Macbook Pro M1 w/ Big Sur yesterday, and another Pro M1 Big Sur today. Central shows only 1 license used (Mac 2) and the threats detected from Mac 1 are now showing under the Mac 2 device name.......

• I have 5 MB Pros with Bitdefnder installed and only 1 of them shows in BD Central. (and it's not the same one consistently) so if I want to review scan reports - it's impossible... this problem has been going on well over a year.

• Hi everyone,

This is not a new issue - and, in short, is cause by the way Apple handles the MAC adresses of its devices adn indeed detters the experience of device management through CENTRAL. Since they're identified in our Central interface by that MAC and are yet to find a more suitable solutions, this is an unfortunate event that still happens. It does not affect, by any means, the functionality of the Bitdefender solution installed on each machine.

A more exhaustive explanation can be found here : https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8155/

cheers,

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB