Forced (failed?) update caused BSOD

Kotten
Kotten
edited April 2021 in General

Hello.

During yesterday (April 28th, Wednesday gmt+1) I was in a digital seminar pretty much all day when Bitdefender all of a sudden forced an update on me. And I have it set to update only once a week on Sundays. So this was quite inconvenient.

This update resulted in a Blue Screen Of Death and I had to restart the PC. Luckily there was no issue starting my PC again and reconnecting to the seminar, though I did miss a part of it because of this.

However, My questions are: How Do I know if this update was successful or not? The application hasn't notified me of anything else since then. And how do I prevent it from forcing updates middle of the week?

Thank you for you time!

Edit:

I got an notification just now (few hour later) saying its updating again. And I opened up the application to take a look and it says my update has failed. I pressed retry and it failed again at 98%. (Se images) Does anyone know what the issue here is?

I have another digital seminar in less than 30 min and I don't want another 'inconvenience'.

(I obviously have an internet connection)

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Mahdi564
    Mahdi564
    Answer ✓
    > @Kotten said:
    > Update: It is still failing to do the update 'til this day.

you installed bitdefender from offline installer or online installer?
    and how many days you use this security software?
    I mean after how many days it accur to not update?
    one of the way you can fix the problem is reinstall your bitdefender and install latest version of it.
    or use windows repair app in safe mode and do the repairs.
    maybe your windows or registry has some problems and it can fix it.
    https://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html
    or maybe the problem is persist from that you connected to bitdefender vpn or other vpn and then update the database.
    please check that too.
    however you can try to update with vpn too (maybe help to better update)
    if you dont get a result of this methods that I said.
    then say in this topic
  • Kotten
    Kotten
    Answer ✓
    Almost forgot..
    I did a reinstallation and the problem was then resolved. Thanks for the replies and suggested solutions.
    Have a great day!

Answers

• Update: It is still failing to do the update 'til this day.
  • Kotten
    Kotten
    edited May 2021
    Thank you for your response.

I tried using a VPN just now as suggested and it still failed at 98%.
    Also have been a Bitdefender customer since 27th November 2017 and I installed it through online connection, if that what you meant.
    There hasn't been any problems updating until now and it's been failing for the past 4 days now.

I use a registry repair & clean tool regularly so doubt that is it, but I am going to try and do a clean reinstallation of the software later today if no other possible solutions appear.
  • garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kotten

The use of registry cleaners is NOT recommended by Microsoft and credible websites. Please see this link, one of many, that explains why the use of registry cleaners/optimizers can be dangerous to your computer's health. I personally can attest to the havoc that registry cleaners can cause. Before I got smart and ceased using them, I had periodic serious issues with my computers. A clean install of Windows resolved my issues.

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• My goodness. Thank you for letting me know!
  • garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kotten

You are most welcome. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• > @Kotten said:
    > Almost forgot..
    > I did a reinstallation and the problem was then resolved. Thanks for the replies and suggested solutions.
    > Have a great day!
    I happy to hear that your problem fixed.
  • > @garioch7 said:
    > @Kotten
    > The use of registry cleaners is NOT recommended by Microsoft and credible websites. Please see this link, one of many, that explains why the use of registry cleaners/optimizers can be dangerous to your computer's health. I personally can attest to the havoc that registry cleaners can cause. Before I got smart and ceased using them, I had periodic serious issues with my computers. A clean install of Windows resolved my issues.
    > I hope this helps. Have a great day.
    > Regards,
    > -Phil

If you mean my method that I said use the tweaking.com windows repair , I should say that this software as I know not registry cleaner and it fix the registry problems and other things that most of them not lead to problem for system.
    Just it is good to run it on safe mode.