Uninstall Bitdefender VPN completely

Sergus
Sergus
edited February 2022 in VPN

Hello,

since the last major update of my Bitdefender it automatically installed Bitdefender VPN. I do not need it and I'm not going to use it, so I tried to uninstall it. It works until the next reboot and Bitdefender reinstalls it again. It there a way to completely uninstall it and turn it off so that it won't reinstall automatically?

Kind Regards

Sergus

Best Answer

Answers

• Same problem here. Totally annoying. I'm already looking for an alternative antivirus solution. This is not a good way to treat your (long time) customers, trying to force them to use products, they don't want or need.

• randw
    randw
    edited April 2021

Same! I tried to delete it and it says I don't have permissions.. so I try to set permissions and I can't again! And the BD Uninstaller in the same folder does not have the option, only to uninstall BD... Geeez how annoying! Why did this even install (and multiple times) without asking!

• i used Revo uninstaller pro and i removed the VPN easy.

• Same problem here. Totally annoying. I'm already trying to find an alternate antivirus solution. this is often not an honest thanks to treat your (long time) customers, trying to force them to use products, they do not want or need
  • What they said!
  • I should have checked first, but they all seem to be doing this. I just assume that it is for blackmail, or to sell marketing data (which is more or less the same thing)

• Hello @username00,

I'm not sure I understand your comment, could you please elaborate? In the event you do not require a VPN connection, the product can be easily uninstalled and there are settings to disable some of the notifications displayed by the VPN as well.

Bitdefender is a reputable company and our security solutions protect the user's data, so quite the opposite of what you've mentioned. We follow certain rules and procedures when doing business. For more information on how data is processed by Bitdefender, you may check our Privacy Policy here.

I am at your disposal for any questions you may have.

Best regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• This is insane - i have the same problem. Used MAcCleaner Pro and it tells me i don't have permission to remove this app. To Bitdefender support @Alexandru_BD :

1. Why you installing an app (VPN specifically) without the permission?
    2. Why you not including an easy to remove solution in the install?
    3. What kind of a response is: "Bitdefender is a reputable company....." Without providing clear directions on HOW to uninstall VPN from the mac (or pc for that matter)

Please review and provide instruction on how to remove VPN from mac

• Hello @JimmyNJ and welcome to the Community!

Please find my answers below:

1. Bitdefender VPN is an integrated part of your security solution. All customers that use one of our security suites also benefit from 200 Mb/day of free VPN encrypted traffic, therefore we need to install the app so the customer can utilize the full functionality of the product they chose.
    2. All Bitdefender apps are easily removable via standard platform specific mechanisms (e.g. for Windows, go to Programs & Features).
    3. My previous answer was intended for username00 concerning the allegations, refer to his post above, as the uninstall instructions were not the topic of our exchange of remarks.

Please check the detailed instructions on how to remove the VPN from your Mac (the removal is done using the same uninstaller as Antivirus for Mac) below:

Proceed with the following steps:

1. Minimize any open windows and click on an empty space on the desktop.

2. Click on Go from the menu bar and select Applications.

3. In the Applications window, you will see a Bitdefender folder (also indicated in the picture below). Open that folder.

4. In the Bitdefender folder, double-click on BitdefenderUninstaller.

5. A new window will pop up. As you wish to remove just the Bitdefender VPN app select Uninstall VPN only.

6. Confirm the process by entering the administrator password. The uninstalling will begin.

Should you encounter any difficulties along the way, you may get in touch with the Support Teams at the following link:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards.

• Good post and answer!

I completely agree with the dissatisfied users. Bitdefender's marketing manipulation of the client is counterproductive for the Company itself.

It hurts us IT guys to be treated like stupid by installing what we didn't ask for and insisting on "computer at risk" warnings because we didn't hire the BDF VPN (even though we have a BETTER ONE that gives what it promises).

Unlike Antivirus, your VPN still requires a lot of development, offers few servers, does not work well or does not work with social networks, and slows down the service.

They should be more respectful of the user's FREEDOM to choose their options. I started using BDF Antivirus in 2013 and due to malicious manipulation I felt mistrust and retired for several years.

Now I have returned and expected to find a more courteous behavior with the client. So I have canceled my renewal, and if this persists, I will not renew even the Antivirus.

• Hi @Leire,

Thank you for your appreciation and for taking the time to share your thoughts here. 🙂

In regards to the VPN service, as specified in my above comment, this is an integral part of the antivirus, but it can be easily uninstalled if not desired. We have learned that having a VPN service included comes in handy for the mass of users, since it provides the necessary encryption when connecting to unsecured wireless networks while in airports, malls, cafés, or hotels. Sure, it has its limitations, being the basic version, but for users that do not require VPN coverage all the time, it's the ideal companion for the antivirus and can be used whenever privacy is a concern.

The VPN offers 4000+ servers in over 50 countries and is considered quite good and these are more than enough to ensure redundancy as well as great performance.

Depending on the distance between your actual location and the server location you choose to connect to, some speed penalty is expected, however, it’s almost always sufficiently small that it goes unnoticed during normal online activity. Moreover, we rely on one of the fastest VPN infrastructures in the world. If it is not a must to connect from your location to a faraway hosted server (e.g. from the USA to France), I recommend you allow the VPN to automatically connect you to the nearest server or find a server closer to your current location. This should resolve any network slowdown thay may occur.

Our VPN also uses the Hydra protocol on all platforms, 256-bit AES encryption or the highest available cypher supported by both client and server, with Perfect Forward Secrecy. This means that encryption keys are generated for each new VPN session and erased from memory when the session is over.

If you’re encountering any specific issues, we’d love to tackle them with your help.

Cheers

• Same problem here on a Mac.

VPN can be uninstalled with the provided software but installs itself automatically after next reboot.

Highly annoying.

Also, the advertising-popup for your password manager is highly annoying.

Need a way to switch this off.