Two Macs Only Recognized as One on Central

In addition to other machines (including Macs), I have Bitdefender installed on a new MacBook Air and an older MacBook Pro.   On the Central management website, it will only show one or the other machine.  If I try to get the machine that's not showing (e.g. MacBook Air) to show up by re-logging into my Bitdefender account from the AV settings page, it will show up but the MacBook Pro will disappear and vice-versa.  As you can see from the screenshot, the Air and Pro Macs are incorrectly detected as one machine.  

MacBDefendCentralBug.jpg

Tagged:

Comments

• Hello /index.php?/profile/78841-markbyrn/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="78841" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/78841-markbyrn/" rel="">@markbyrn , 

This is a known issue that's been reported to our development team already. 

For more details and potential workarounds, please see: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8155/

Thank you!

• markbyrnmarkbyrn ✭✭
    edited November 2018

Hi Sergiu,

The workarounds will not work because the two Macs in question have Touch ID and Apple has added an en5 iBridge interface with the same exact ether address of ac:de:48:00:11:22 - not just my Macs.  This is the case for every Macbook that has a Touch ID sensor and has nothing at all do with VPN, etc as noted in that workaround document.  The en5 address cannot be changed by the user or root, and obviously one would not want to disable the interface or otherwise mess it up.   This took me a bit of research to discover and I'd recommend you include it in your answer document and state something like, "if you are using a Macbook with Touch ID, there is no workaround."  Thanks much!  

• Hi /index.php?/profile/78841-markbyrn/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="78841" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/78841-markbyrn/" rel="">@markbyrn

Currently, Bitdefender Central can list OK one MacBook Pro with Touch Bar but if there's another MacBook Pro it replaces the first one in Central. However, rest assured that it's only a Central display limitation. Your Mac systems are protected by Bitdefender.

Central is using the MAC address as a unique identifier, which normally would make sense as this should be unique. However all the new MacBook Pro models use the same MAC address for the iBridge Ethernet used by the Touch Bar. As this MAC address is the same, Central is considering the second device the same as the first one since it can match a MAC address and is replacing the original Mac computer with the last Mac connected to the internet.

Since this is the case for all the MacBook Pro models with Touch Bar you may want to raise this with Apple as well. Currently there isn't a way to change or disable this MAC address.

Our developers were made aware of this adapter and and we've suggested to automatically blacklist the Touch Bar MAC address ac:de:48:00:11:22 in future Bitdefender releases. It does indeed cause unwanted device merging currently, as it's a generic MAC address. We do not have an estimated time for the release yet.

As a workaround, we can split your Bitdefender subscription so you can link one MacBook Pro to a separate Central account. The only inconvenience will be that you have 2 different Central accounts: one to manage 1 device and the existing account to manage the rest of your devices.

• Thanks Roxana although in my case, it's a new Macbook Air with just the Touch ID and an older Macbook Pro.  So it seems even the new Macbook Air is using the same Touch ID Mac address.

• Hi,

This visual glitch does not affect the security of your devices. However, if you want to see all your devices, we can split up your subscription in 2 accounts. If you agree, we recommend you to create another Central account and write us at [email protected] with your email addresses. 

• 43 minutes ago, Roxana G said:

Hi,

This visual glitch does not affect the security of your devices. However, if you want to see all your devices, we can split up your subscription in 2 accounts. If you agree, we recommend you to create another Central account and write us at [email protected] with your email addresses. 

Thanks, I sent an e-mail to request that.

• 55 minutes ago, markbyrn said:

Thanks, I sent an e-mail to request that.

Hi,

The changes were made. Our team has replied to your email. Please check your Inbox.

• zugozugo
    edited February 20

• No update after over 2 years? This issue renders Bitdefender Central completely useless for Macs ... and would be so easy to fix.

• edited May 6
    I've just discovered this issue as well. It's annoying for my home use (I have 4 macs), but I'm also considering purchasing Bitdefender for business use (35 Macs) and this is completely unacceptable in that context. How can we increase the priority of this issue so a real fix is created?
  • I"m having this same issue. Just purchased Bitdefender, and I don't expect to renew if this issue still exists in 11 months.

• I have the same issue in my household-- three MacBooks (two Airs, one Pro) all with TouchID, show up as only one in BD Central. The email response to my support request was lame, and much less helpful than this forum. It suggested I check the MAC addresses on the different machines, and of course the MAC address shown in the UI is different for all machines. The person responding in the email never said "this is a known issue and it's related to TouchID". They also never said "we've known about this for almost three years, we haven't fixed it, and we really don't care about you Mac users", which appears to be the true state of affairs. Further evidence of poor Mac support is that BD VPN keeps reinstalling itself after supposedly successful uninstall, as documented elsewhere.) Disappointing service and support.

I also will not renew at full price when my introductory subscription runs out in 11 months unless this is fixed.

Thanks to others on this thread who tracked down and explained what's really going on here.

• It is mind-boggling that BitDefender was not able to solve this trivial issue in almost 3 years. One has to wonder: What does this say about BitDefender? How much does one want to entrust all one's files to a company that (a) is either technically so deficient that it cannot fix this issue, or (b) cares so little about its existing customer base that it keeps de-prioritizing this bug-fix?