Installing Bitdefender with Malwarebytes

I have been running Bitdefender Total Security and Malwarebytes Free for a long time without issues. I just upgraded to Bitdefender 26.0.3.27 but it required Malwarebytes be removed. That's the first time I've seen this. I was forced to uninstall Malwarebytes (Bitdefender wouldn't let me continue). Support is telling me they're compatible as long as it's the free version of Malwarebytes, but yet the installer won't let me. I could install Bitdefender first and then Malwarebytes second, but afraid I'll never get Bitdefender updates in the future. Support isn't able to answer that. Has anyone had any luck running both, and are upgrades working correctly?

Comments

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

@DWK

I have been running Bitdefender Total Security (BDTS) and Malwarebytes Premium (MBP) together for many years now. The "trick" is to always install BDTS first. Then set up the proper exclusions for the other product, in each product. The Malwarebytes Forums recommends the following exclusions be added to BDTS:

This exclusions list is specific to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 4.x.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/253972-malwarebytes-4-faqs/?do=findComment&comment=1346727

Exclude the following folders: (The complete folder)

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService

Exclude the following files:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys (mbae.sys for x86 systems)

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys

C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys

Then in MBAM, exclude the BDTS folders and all should be good.

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor