Is the Bitdefender password manager and anti-tracking going to support the new Microsoft Edge?

TzonZ
TzonZ
edited January 2022 in Password Manager
Microsoft's chromium-based Edge was released almost two years ago. Why isn't wallet and anti-tracking officially supported by Bitdefender?

Comments

• No comment from Bitdefender?
  • Hello @TzonZ

Bitdefender Wallet and Bitdefender Password Manager are not the same product. The main difference is the multiplatform password synchronization. Password Manager is a standalone software compatible with Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS, while the Wallet is a password manager module with basic functionality that comes with our paid security solutions Bitdefender Antivirus Plus, Bitdefender Internet Security, Bitdefender Total Security. The Wallet is available only on Windows and does not work on Mac, Android, or iOS devices.

Wallet integrates with the following Windows browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Bitdefender Safepay. Unlike Password Manager, the Wallet does not offer master password recovery options: if you forget your Master Password you lose all your passwords. Wallet functions are limited to autosave & autofill, auto-lock, and a password generator. You can import data from other password management applications only in .db and .csv format.

On the other hand, Bitdefender Password Manager works with Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Safari across Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. If you forget your master password, you can always reset it and regain access to your data. It has a plethora of bonus features that increase your privacy: autosave & autofill, password generator, password quality check, search & delete password duplicates, (un)hide passwords as you type them, security reports, password leak alert, secure notes, remote logout, biometric unlock on mobile devices. You can import data from other password management applications in multiple formats: csv, json, xml, txt, 1pif, fsk.

Best regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• techitour
    edited February 2022

Greetings, @TzonZ

Bitdefender Password Manager and Bitdefender Wallet are not the same thing. The main distinction is the ability to synchronise passwords across many platforms. The Password Manager is a standalone application that works on Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS, whereas the Wallet is a password manager module that comes with our paid security solutions Bitdefender Antivirus Plus, Bitdefender Internet Security, and Bitdefender Total Security and includes basic functionality. Only Windows users can use the Wallet; it is not compatible with Mac, Android, or iOS devices.

Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Bitdefender Safepay are all compatible with Wallet on Windows. Unlike Password Manager, the Wallet does not allow you to recover your master password: if you forget your Master Password, you will lose all of your passwords. Only autosave and autofill, auto-lock, and a password are available in the wallet.

• Thank you for the response. It seems a bit odd to have a product that does not support the default browser of Windows.
    Will the Password Manager be offered with one of the existing subscriptions, such as Premium or Total Security?
    What about the Anti-Tracker module? Why doesn't it support Edge as well?
  • Hi @TzonZ,

The Anti-Tracker for Edge will be available soon. There is no ETA yet, but it's being developed.

More updates will come for the Password Manager service this year as well, including a full launch on the official Bitdefender website www.bitdefender.com, all in the first or second quarters of 2022.

In regards to inclusion in existing Bitdefender products, currently there are some interesting developments in the pipeline and the engineers are exploring ways to improve and further develop this service. There are no news for the moment, but there are several options on the table to consider. So stay tuned, good things will come 🙂

Cheers.

• TzonZ
    TzonZ
    edited February 2022
    Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to the updates :)
  • Hello together,

I have two questions, just to be 100% sure:

1) Is "Bitdefender Password Manager" included in "Bitdefender Premium Security"?

2) Is "Bitdefender Password Manager" able to synchronize Passwords between Windows an IOS?

Thank you

ThommyLee

• Hi,

1) No, it's still in a "testing" stage as a separate product. As Alexandru_BD said above they are not yet sure how they will move with the final product - though it would make sense to integrate it to one of the products.

2) Yes, I have tried it. However, it seems that not everything is working: eg. I could not fill in my passwords on an app in iOS via the password manager. Maybe this is a limitation of iOS or the password manager is not fully developed yet.
  • Thank you TzonZ for your reply.

Regarding 1) ... I've got your point that "Bitdefender Passwort Manager" is a Standalone application which is not included in the software of "Bitdefender Premium Security".

My question is: When I buy "Bitdefender Premium Security" am I allowed than to use "Bitdefender Passwort Manager" without paying extra money?

• It is not included in the software (Premium Security), nor the subscription (of Premium Security), if you are asking that. That means for now you will have to pay for it.

I am using Total Security and I got a prompt for a 3-month free trial of the Password Manager (which I am using now).

As the Bitdefender employee above said, they are not sure if they will include it in a subscription (such as premium security). My personal opinion is that they should include it.
  • Allright. Thank you TzonZ, that was my question.

• Hello,

I have news on this topic. Back in February, the developers were exploring the idea to include the Password Manager in one of the existing subscriptions, as part of the service development and portfolio growth. There were no bells and whistles for this implementation, but I hereby confirm that the Password Manager has been included in the Premium Security package. So now this package offers complete antivirus protection, Premium unlimited traffic VPN and the latest Password Manager and I think the formula provides good value for money, as you get 3 services in a single package and this is also convenient when it comes to subscription management, because no separate orders are required, it's really an excellent bundle.

When activating the subscription, information regarding the included services will be displayed, as shown below:

But we are not stopping here and development will continue. The teams are continuously gathering feedback, analyzing options and searching for areas of improvement, thus your contribution is highly appreciated and I will do my very best to make each user's voice heard within our development teams.

Best regards.