Turn Off Annoying "Survey" Pop Up In This Forum

garioch7
garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

Every few minutes when I am on the Forum, I get an annoying pop-up to complete a Forum survey. I already completed the survey. Please turn this nuisance off.

Submitted for your consideration. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

Comments

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited April 2022

Agree. I understand they want the feedback, I get it, but maybe give us a ETA of how long or when the survey will be over. I filled it out about 3 times, that was good enough for me :) The pop-up on the main Bitdefender webpage was interesting though, in regards to a preferred layout between two styles.

edit: maybe to have started a thread about the survey and its duration, would have been helpful?

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback. Does the survey come up multiple times while you are logged in, even if you have already filled it out? It should only be displayed once and after completion, if you are logged in while navigating, it should no longer be displayed. If it's being postponed, it will pop up again after some time. When accessing the forum as a guest, it will pop-up each time, because if the user is not logged in, the survey won't know if the user filled it out or not.

The purpose of the survey is to collect as much information as possible from the members, in order to find out what improvements must be made and what is the success rate of our actions. It's for the greater good, but I understand that it can transform into an inconvenience, if it's being displayed with recurrence and if the criteria of deployment is not working as expected. I'll check this with our web developers to make sure the settings are correct.

We won't be keeping it for long, it will remain active for just a couple of days from now. @Scott I agree with you, it's a good idea to announce such actions in the future, as it will be insightful for the members to know and I think this will also encourage people to fill it out.

In the meantime, kindly let me know what was the behavior of the survey on your end and if you were logged in all the time, so we can make adjustments asap.

Best regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alexandru_BD

I had to complete it 2 (two) times on my laptop and after that it didn't come up.

Also, i had to complete it 3 (three) times on my android phone and after that it didn't come up.

In both cases, i was logged in while navigating the community.

No worries, i gave the same answers to the survey in all 5 times. 😀

Regards.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

Always the kind and diplomatic Mod :)

I don't remember if it was on my notebook that I did the survey 3 times, but I'll check into it like Gjoksi79_ did. That was my thought that if I took the survey, that it may not ask again, but if a person clears their cookies, history etc. from their browser that the survey would pop up again?

At least it's a small box on the bottom of the webpage, so it's not in the way :) Also, compared to what's happening in this world, I appreciate the way Phil mentioned it as an annoyance, it's a very small annoyance in that way.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Thank you for your feedback!

So, we're trying different things here. We have changed the completion parameters depending on the IP, meaning that the survey can no longer be completed from the same IP address. However, for a dynamic IP this might not work.

Cookies & history preferences should not interfere with the survey.

Anyway, it's only going to be live until the end of the week and I'll remove it on Monday morning, as it served its purpose and we got some valuable information, much appreciated.

• garioch7

@Alexandru_BD

I am always logged in when visiting this Forum, as I do with the other Forums I visit daily. I just filled out that darned survey again. I hope to never see it again.

Thanks for looking into this. I appreciate it. I have a static IP address so let us hope that I have seen that pop-up for the last time.

Wait a minute, I just got another pop-up. I can't wait for Monday!

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

• Hi @garioch7,

I am truly sorry for this inconvenience. We tried to make the survey as less intrusive as possible, hence the banner that slides gently and does not pop up aggressively and we actually designed this from scratch. This was never attempted on the forum before and we ran into some technical limitations that led to this behavior.

We could identify an unique user only by cookie browser sessions for the survey link.

If the user changes the device and it is not synchronized with a google account, for example, it will look like a separate device even though the user is the same.

Another scenario in which the pop-up will be shown is when VPN is used, the cookie will no longer be valid and the pop-up will be displayed again.

Unfortunately, these are the limitations of the platform and questionnaire.

Going forward, I have now pulled the plug on the survey and it will no longer pop up.

Thank you for your feedback and understanding, it is much appreciated!

Best regards.

• garioch7

@Alexandru_BD

Thank you for removing that nuisance pop-up. I really appreciate how responsive you and your colleagues are to queries and complaints made in the "new" BD Forums. Quite a welcome change from the past. I also like your aggressive approach to eliminating the spammers who formerly flooded the forums with their junk.

Have a great weekend.

Regards,

Phil