Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender's update interval is automatically set to 8 hours

Hi,

I'm running Bitdefender 26.0.14.65, and I've noticed that after adjusting the update interval to 1 hour, it would automatically revert to 8 hours after a while. It annoys me.

And after some search, I've discovered that other users are having the same issue:

Therefore, I believe it is a bug that should be investigated and fixed as soon as possible.

Tagged:

Comments

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue and create a log on your PC/laptop using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail here (scroll down to the bottom of the page):

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log file you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screeshot(s) and the log file will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Best regards.

• I have seen this occur even going back some months.

But what I found was that in Bitdefender Total Security, under Utilities/Profiles/Settings I had enabled 'activate profiles automatically', as I kept getting notifications that I could/should enable it.

By default the update interval is 1 hour, but when I used various software, the Work Profile would be enabled. Then if I went to the main dashboard and clicked 'Settings', then 'Update', the time interval is now 8 hours. I assume it is so that if I am busy at work I don't want BD updating every hour, amongst other things. Trouble is, I only check emails and other 'work' stuff for brief time periods, like a few minutes, then sometimes shut down my laptop straight away.

If you use software like Outlook, Thunderbird, Microsoft Office Word/Excel etc, LibreOffice the work profile kicks in when starting those programs. If you try it yourself, you should see the work profile is enabled, and the update setting is 8 hours. Now, close the 'work' software (email, Office, etc) and take a look at the work profile and see if it is now back to disabled. Sometimes it takes half a minute or so, because even though you closed the other software, a process in the background might still be running. Then when you see it is now disabled, go the the update setting and see if it is now back to 1 hour.

What could be happening, which seemed to be the case for myself, was that I would start Thunderbird, it checks for email, no new mail, so then i close Thunderbird, then immediately shut down laptop and it was too fast for BD to put the 8 hour back to 1 hour. Starting laptop again later on I found it was still on 8 hour update check.

So maybe this is the problem for others, especially if profiles are being used, auto or manually.

• AnthonyQ
    AnthonyQ
    edited April 2022

Many thanks for your reply. I will turn off Work Profile and see if it can help. 😊

New issue: I found it's impossible to turn off Work Profile...

• Check that 'Activate Profiles automatically' is not enabled, then see if that lets you disable/enable the 'Work' (or any other) profile.

• Hello,

@CraigNZ is right, the situation described by @AnthonyQ can only happen if one of the profiles is activated. More information regarding the available profiles in Bitdefender and their functionality is available at the link below:

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

@Alexandru_BD

Hello and welcome (i mean: welcome back) to the Community! 😊

I did a little investigation on my Bitdefender app and here are the results:

When Work profile is enabled, update check interval is automatically set to 8 (eight) hours.

When Movie profile is enabled, update check interval is automatically set to 8 (eight) hours.

When Game profile is enabled, update check interval is automatically set to 12 (twelve) hours.

When Public Wi-Fi profile is enabled, update check interval is automatically set to 1 (one) hour.

When Battery Mode profile is enabled, update check interval is automatically set to 1 (one) hour.

Hope this will help to anyone with the same "problem".

Regards.

• Very insightful, thank you @Gjoksi79_ !

Yes, I was away indeed, we had the Orthodox Easter Holiday between Friday and Monday 😊

Cheers

• Thanks for the info. Been fighting this forever, thought it was a glitch. Have a similar situation with the settings for scan archives and scan boot sectors resetting to off. Will disabling the activate profiles automatically and manually selecting public wi-fi profile (to get the update check interval to remain set to one hour) solve this problem as well?

• Hello @MRWIZURD,

As the profiles adjust the scan frequency and other product settings, disabling their automatic activation should resolve this as well.