Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Viddly - Youtube downloader

Options

I paid for YTD a while ago, but latest update is being detected as malware by Bitdefender.

Reported to Viddly: 02-17-22 08:44 PM  - Everytime I start viddly, It states that there is an upgrade. When supposed upgrade file starts to download, My BitDefender sees it as malware 'trojan.GenericKD.48321327' What is going on here ?

02-20-22 01:41 AM - Isaias Cercle replied

Hello G.,

Some of the antiviruses are detecting incorrectly our software as a virus.

Make an exception for Viddly and re-install it, this will make your product run without problem.

Please use this link https://viddly.net/en/download to download: Viddly and re-install it, this will

make your product run without problem.

-------

Must think that I'm stupid, I trust Bitdefender more.

What does BD say about this ?

Kind regards,

GB

Comments

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @Garybauer61 and welcome to the Community!

Kindly use the form in the link below to submit the URL or file to our Labs for further analysis and they will investigate the detection:

Best regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Bunzer
    edited February 2022
    Options

I am in the same situation as Garybauer61, and i've tried Viddly's solution for the fix. No change.

I've also attempted to try adding a rule and exception to Bitdefender. Will not work as its a update that works through the Program when running. I cannot make a exception or rule of a file that I do not possess as Viddly downloads it AFTER i install, then starts the disinfection.

I've finished speaking to someone in the live chat in contact and they had attempted to tell me that the reasoning is that its "pirating" and bitdefender doesn't support that/those actions. I disagree. Not Pirating like the days of old with Napster/Limewire/etc.

For Garybauer61 and myself, we both paid for our products. Not Pirating like the days of old with Napster/Limewire/etc.

If we used the minimal tier for Viddly, i would understand. But we paid for this program. Not an open source product, not a program from pirate bay, not some dark web shenanigan.

I suggest Bitdefender should talk to Viddly, since it's not a matter of credibility. https://viddly.net/eng6

Their EULA and Terms of Service are also there for a team to read.

Please reply, or email me at gr****@sympatico.ca

• I couldn't agree more with the above comments with regard to the suggestion that Bitdefender knows better what I can or cannot do, especially with something I use BY SUBSCRIPTION. I have used youtube downloader for years via subscription, and entirely resent any suggestion (mentioned above) that I am not 'allowed' to use it any further because Bitdefender has determined in its infinite wisdom that using youtube downloader is pirating.

I have loathed Bitdefender since I installed it a few years ago since there is literally NOTHING about this program that is easy to change or modify as far as settings go, so I acknowledge my own responsibility for the lack of making time to find and install a better program for antivirus detection that isn't designed to PREVENT me from making changes. So consider the youtube downloader problem to be my final straw. I now WILL go out of my way to find an antivirus program that doesn't set itself up as some sort of 'big brother' that unilaterally makes decisions regarding what program(s) I am and am not allowed to use without any ability to override. Consider my current 'subscription' my absolute LAST.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hello @Bunzer, @Andretti

I hereby confirm the detection has been removed. The fix will be deployed with the following updates.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards.

• Hi Alexandru, is the fix in the updates now?

Regards

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi @Greatbeary,

The fix has been deployed, but it might take some time to reach the full userbase.

Cheers.

• Bunzer
    Options

Hi Alexandru, is the fix in the updates now?

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @Bunzer,

Yes, the fix should be available by now. Are you encountering any issues?

Cheers.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hello,

As of now the detection might have been removed but the detection might get recreated in future. All AV vendors basically follow the deceptors/ pup/ pua rules as per AppEsteem (https://customer.appesteem.com/deceptors)

If the application is consider as deceptor/ pup/ pua by AppEsteem, chances are they will get detected by AV vendors.

AppEsteem provides a details information as to why a particular application is considered as deceptor/ pup/ pua.

So, you might see under next 48 hours detection being recreated again for Viddly YouTube Downloader. The best way here will be to exclude the application in your AV product.

Additionally, if so many vendors are detecting the sample as deceptor/ pup/ pua, then there is some issue with the application

@Garybauer61 ,you should share the below mentioned information with the developers of Viddly YouTube Downloader and state the reason as to why the applications are considered as deceptor/ pup/ pua by AppEsteem or different AV vendors

According to AppEsteem (might sound like a technical thing)

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Bunzer
    Options

Still not fixed.... Any hope of this ever being handled by either Viddly or Bitdefender

• Same as Bunzer.

Still not fixed.... Any hope of this ever being handled by either Viddly or Bitdefender?

• Flexx
    Options

Detection will stay and will not be removed. If you want to use the software kindly add it to exclusion in bitdefender.

Regards

Flex

• Bunzer
    Options

I don't think flex understands at all.

all exceptions that have been added to Bitdefender:

C:\users\anon\downloads\viddlysetup.exe

C:\users\anon\viddly\converter.dll

C:\users\anon\viddly\debug.dll

C:\users\anon\viddly\is-hfs1a.tmp

C:\users\anon\viddly\kernel.dll

C:\users\anon\viddly\language.dll

C:\users\anon\viddly\viddly youtube downloader.lnk

This is all in my exceptions. I suggest you go on viddly, and buy the lifetime account like we have. YOU TRY the update.

The exceptions does not allow the update to work.

• Flexx
    Options

If even setting up the exceptions, Bitdefender is causing the problem, then there is a need for the development team to check on this.

@Alexandru_BD or @Mike_BD can get in touch with development team so that they can check on this.

Regards

Flex

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello,

Please get in touch with the Technical Support Teams and share your findings with our engineers. This would be the best way to move forward in this case. They will gather the details and logs and share them with the developers for further analysis.

You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Stay safe.

• Still doesn't work and no forseeable fix in even the near future. /sarcasm Consider me shocked (insert shocked peekacho face)...

Again I ask....why is BITDEFENDER dictating what I can or cannot use on MY COMPUTER, especially when 'I' choose to? There is NO excuse why there isn't a valid fix in place by this point. That and 'I' PAID for both programs, yet one isn't allowing me to use the other....So does that mean I can expect a refund from the makers of Bitdefender to cover my Youtube Downloader subscription cost since I've already been restricted from using it 4 months thus far?

It seems to me this is more a 'we will just attempt to pacify people who use this program by saying we are addressing it, while in reality literally doing nothing'. At the VERY least if bit defender worked worth a crap (and I'd argue as its promoted to work), we'd be able to add this to the exclusionary list and be rid of this problem (or at least disable it long enough to do whatever we might be doing and then re-enable it after we are done). Yet here we are, multiple months later.....and no fix.

I mean really, this situation only raises additional concerns as far as I'm concerned as to what else I might not have yet stumbled upon that bitdefender is preventing me from using because 'THEY' know better then 'I' what program is or isn't acceptable to use. What a joke.

• Flexx
    edited April 2022
    Options

After installing the software I was able to narrow down the issue and it seems like the particular file which triggers bitdefender detection in the setup package is not set to exclusion list as per the exclusion list that you have provided. The exception that you have entered into bitdefender will make no issues since those exception files are not detected by bitdefender as malicious.

Elaborating in detail: If I agree on you that you have excluded the setup file "ViddlySetup.exe" to exclusion that will itself not trigger the detection in bitdefender, it's the file name "Viddly.exe" in the setup package which gets extracted in temporary folder first which triggers the detection and this is the only file that all AV vendors are detecting as malicious and hence even after setting the "ViddlySetup.exe" file into exclusion you will still see the detection showing up.

This is as per the procedure I have followed.

Now, to overcome this you can do these things.

1) Disable all protection in bitdefender (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/28557/)

2) Install your Viddly software.

3) Now, add the Viddly folder and a file in Viddly folder named "Viddly.exe" to exclusion list in bitdefender.

4) Once all done, re enable all the protection service of bitdefender.

5) Try running your Viddly software.

If everything goes well, this should work for you since it worked for me.

Regards

Flex

• mrmirakhur I disabled everything you said and it still doesn't let me install it. Well the only thing to do is uninstall bitdedfender and then install Viddly as this is how I install all the programs it doesn't let me install. They have to put in a pop-up that asks if you trust the program before it installs it. This is what I want.

• Bunzer
    Options

Please be honest with us. Is there anyone in Bitdefender working on solving the Viddly Youtube problem at this time or are you waiting for this to die down and go away, because many of us want solutions to this problem or at least the truth NOW.

• dickiek
    Options

I have exactly the same problem, I have followed all the steps to disable the appropriate parts of Bitdefender, added all the exceptions that I was told to and finally got Viddly to install (I'd had to reinstall since Bitdefender had removed it and refused to let me restore it) Then when I run Viddly Bitdefender did exactly what it did before removed Viddly and refused to let me restore it. As other uses have said this is totally unacceptable, I have paid subscriptions for both programs and one is now preventing me from using the other. I have previously used Viddly with Bitdefender. Not only is this totally unacceptable the fact that Bitdefender won't even allow me to bypass it's protection albeit on my own responsibility is also totally unacceptable. Unless this issue is sorted immediately then I will be cancelling my Bitdefender subscription and removing all traces of it from my system, this has been going on far too long now.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello,

The latest version of Viddly (5.0.359) available on the official website https://viddly.net/ is clean and should not be detected by Bitdefender engines. Are you using the latest version?

• dickiek
    Options

That depends when they released it, I downloaded the latest version same day I complained. I will check now to see if it's different.

• Flexx
    edited May 2022
    Options

As checked, detection has been created against the latest version of viddly since it being a pup/ pua.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/c339da41815b32e3b8398625dbfa39cd9c7dc1f0b6001076aa4531a25162aa2c?nocache=1

The only current way to use the software is to set an exclusion.

Regards

• Obviously, this STILL isn't fixed.

• Flexx
    edited June 2022
    Options

As told earlier that detection was removed on temporary basis and is now created again by the malware researchers. The detection will stay and will not be removed.

Regards

• Flexx
    edited June 2022
    Options

I will be going further and closing this post since currently there is nothing additional that can be done from bitdefender end related to viddly software. The detection will stay and will not be removed. If you want to use the software kindly follow the above stated solution that were provided regarding setting up the exclusions.

If you want to reopen this post, kindly contact @Alexandru_BD or @Mike_BD

Regards

This discussion has been closed.