CPU Usage by Bit Defender : 20% since last update

After BD updated itself to the latest 1.0.21.307 version I'm getting a constant ~20% CPU Usage as opposed to practically nothing in the past. I rebooted my computer but no change.

Is there a known issue ?

Going back to Windows Defender in the meantime

Comments

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

Which Bitdefender product are you using?

You only mentioned version 1.0.21.307, but didn't mention the product name.

Regards.

• webvan
    edited July 2022

Thanks, it's the "Antivirus Free Edition", been using it happily for 2+ years with no such issue.

Engine version : 7.92277

Oddly I was not able to reactivate Windows Defender after turning off "Real Time Protection" in BD, does it have to be uninstalled completely ? A bit concerned about leaving my PC unprotected in that case.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello again.

I use Bitdefender Total Security, so i must say that i'm not quite familiar with the free version and the way it works.

But, one thing i know: Never leave your PC unprotected.

Also, @Nunzio d'Abbruzzo uses the free version as you, so i guess he can help you a lot.

As for the CPU usage, do the following steps:

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue

and create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail:

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log file you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log file will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

• Nunzio77
    Nunzio77 Defender of the month mod

If you have been using the free version for over 2 years or 2 years, it is very likely that you are using the old free version. For about 2 months there has been the new free version of Bitdefender. You can find it on the Bitdefender global site. Uninstall the version you are using and install the new version of Bitdefender Free. I'm not having any problems on the 3 PCs I installed it on (1 also has Windows 7).

Let us know how it goes. 😉👍

Nunzio ·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

• Thanks, yes I'd postponed updating since I'd read it was no longer going to be free but that changed apparently. I'm downloading the new version right now and hopefully it will take care of that abormal CPU usage.

I'm guessing it will install/uninstall the old version automatically so as to not leave the PC unprotected.

• Nunzio77

Ok. Let them know how it goes. However, don't be afraid to leave your PC without antivirus for a few minutes.

If you don't browse the internet and open files in the meantime, you won't get infected with malware. 😃

Nunzio ·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

• Thanks, so update done, wow that was a huge download, 500Mb, crazy !

Anyway, good news the CPU usage of BD has now come back to normal.

• Nunzio77

Optimal! You will see that you will be fine with this Bitdefender Free. You just have to make a few small changes in the settings, but already by default it is fine.

I have reported some small bugs and I hope that with the next updates they will be fixed. This version compared to the old free version has complete protection even on e-mail clients. Try it and see how you are.

Let us know your opinion.

Nunzio ·