Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

BitDefender community website not reachable when DNS over HTTPS enable

Options

Hi there,

I've found a interesting behaviour with the community website. When I enable DNS over HTTPS on Firefox (yes, I do use Firefox!) the community website (https://community.bitdefender.com) is unreachable and I get a generic error. However this error occurs only for the community website; central and bitdefender.com (or any other root domain name for which BitDefender is registered) are working fine all the time.

I also use a VPN from NordVPN with the Threat Protection Lite enabled but this is not causing the issue - and if it does the problem might happen also on Edge.

Anyhow, this is the "funny" behaviour I'm experiencing with the website. If you need further details, contact me and I will be happy to provide them.

Have a lovely day everyone!

Comments

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello.

Mozilla Firefox 101.0.1 (64-bit), i have no VPN installed on my device.

And here are the results:

As you can see, when the "Enable DNS over HTTPS" option is enabled, i am also unable the reach this Community's website.

Maybe @Alexandru_BD can give us more details why this happens.

Regards.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello,

This happens because Bitdefender uses its own security certificates rather than the Firefox ones, in order to ensure a secure connection. This might come in conflict with using DNS over HTTPS, since Bitdefender already has its own web protection modules. We are aware of the issue and working on a fix.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited June 2022
    Options

@Alexandru_BD - as checked in Google Chrome, the issue does not persists. I am still able to open bitdefender community forum while preferring DNS over HTTPS.

@Faccin0, it seems like DNS over HTTPS does not affect even Microsoft Edge. I am still able to open bitdefender community forum.

So it seems like that the issue persists in Mozilla Firefox but not in Google Chrome or any other chromium based web browser like Microsoft Edge, Brave, Vivaldi etc.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

That is correct, the issue only occurs when using Mozilla Firefox, as the tests revealed. Encrypted web scan causes certain websites to load incorrectly with DoH enabled in Firefox.

Let's take the following scenario:

1. Enable DoH in Firefox and set provider to Cloudflare

2. Load a website that has a certificate from Cloudflare

Note: Issue does no reproduce on the main page for some reason.

Expected result: Page loads correctly.

Actual result: Page does not load correctly.

Cheers

• I submitted this exact issue some time past. As noted above Bitdefender is aware of the issue and they told me it was confirmed on their side. What I don't know is if it has gotten fixed. I've noticed even with Encrypted Web Scan "disabled" - Firefox is still slow on some sites with DoH enabled. I feel like that is also Bitdefender but I haven't verified it yet.

• Hello @MartinZ,

The developers are still running some tests on this issue. A possible fix has been found, it's just that it has to go through rigorous testing before it's confirmed and released.

Regards