'Update check interval' schedule is being ignored

BitDefender Internet Security (Paid version), Build 26.0.27.90, Engine version: 7.92916

Windows 10 Pro 21H2 19044.2006

I have automatic updates ON and Silent updates OFF, as part of long running problem I have had with engine updates disconnecting me from remote desktop sessions (but that isn’t what I’m reporting here).

The above ‘settings produce popups whenever there is an update – I want this so I can see when updates are occurring. However, these notifications get annoying with the frequent ‘Threat information updates’. I have posted previously about having separate notification controls for threat updates and the client updates (but again that is not what I’m reporting here).

I’m not sure, but this issue may go back at least to the previous client version as I’ve been investigating this for a while. I extended the update frequency settings to a few hours, but it seemed like I was seeing these popups more than I would expect. I extended it again to 8hrs, but again, occasionally, I would think was that really 8Hrs since the last. I turned it up to the maximum 24Hrs a few days ago and am now sure that this setting is being ignored.

Yesterday I started to note down the times of the updates running. I have had 3 ‘threat information updates’ within the last 24hrs.

What I suspect is occurring:

I have not tested this specifically, but I suspect the BD client is performing a ‘forced’ additional update a short period following each system restart. I have previously identified BD client behaviours which are triggered by a system start-up and ignore all client settings and this appears to be yet another one.

Déjà vu 🤔

Internet Security (Paid), Windows10 Pro64, Ryzen7 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX3070, 5 internal storage drives, 2x ext hot-swap drives

Comments

• I have been keeping a closer eye on this today and up came a definitions update approx. 8Hrs after the last. I have not restarted the system since I made my forum post above and took those pictures. I thought I would just check again that it was still set to 24Hrs and was surprised to find it had changed by itself to 8Hrs.

It may not be exactly as described above after all. Possibly it defaults back to 8hrs on its own, no matter what you set it to? Anyone else feel like setting their check interval to something above 8hrs and seeing if it resets like mine did?

Internet Security (Paid), Windows10 Pro64, Ryzen7 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX3070, 5 internal storage drives, 2x ext hot-swap drives

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

If you have Work Profile or Movie Profile enabled, I believe it automatically reverts to 8 hours. Are your Profiles Off?

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

In addition to what @Scott already said, here are some informations about the update check interval:

When Work profile is enabled, update check interval is automatically set to 8 (eight) hours.

When Movie profile is enabled, update check interval is automatically set to 8 (eight) hours.

When Game profile is enabled, update check interval is automatically set to 12 (twelve) hours.

When Public Wi-Fi profile is enabled, update check interval is automatically set to 1 (one) hour.

When Battery Mode profile is enabled, update check interval is automatically set to 1 (one) hour.

Regards.

• That explains a lot as I saw it reset from 24hrs to 12hrs today. The only option is to turn off profiles? If I turn off the 'Postpone background programs and maintenance tasks' setting in the 'congure' option for a profile type, would that default it back to the main setting for update frequency and still keep the other aspects of the profile working?

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello again.

Open your Bitdefender program, go to Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and turn off / disable these options: "Activate profiles automatically", "Work Profile", "Movie Profile", "Game Profile", "Public Wi-Fi Profile" or "Battery Mode Profile".

When Work Profile is enabled/activated:

- All Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups are disabled

- Automatic Update is postponed

- Scheduled scans are postponed

- Search Advisor is disabled

- Special offers notifications are disabled

When Movie Profile is enabled/activated:

- Boost performance on video players

- Optimize product settings for Movie profile

- Postpone background programs and maintenance tasks

- Postpone Windows Automatic Updates

- Adjust power plan settings for movies

When Game Profile is enabled/activated:

- All Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups are disabled

- Search Advisor is disabled

- Special offers notifications are disabled

When Public Wi-Fi Profile is enabled/activated:

- Advanced Threat Defense is turned on

- The Bitdefender Firewall is turned on, and the following settings are applied to your wireless adapter:

- Stealth mode - ON

- Network type - Public

- The following settings from Online Threat Prevention are turned on:

- Encrypted web scan

- Fraud protection

- Phishing protection

When Battery Mode Profile is enabled/activated:

- Bitdefender Automatic Update is postponed

- Security Widget is turned off

So, if you want to set the update check interval in Settings -> Update -> Update check interval by yourself on for example 1 hour, first you must switch off the option "Activate profiles automatically" and/or any of the profiles (Work, Movie, Game, Public Wi-Fi or Battery Mode).

The ''Postpone background programs and maintenance tasks'' setting is not connected with the Update Check Interval for the specific profile, since the update check interval is pre-configured by Bitdefender for every profile and you can't configure/change it.

Regards.

• So, the answer is No.

It would be nice to have an option to control the update interval globally or, if not, a way to set the interval for each profile so BD isnt constantly resetting it. I also suspect that updates may be being triggered as it transitions between profiles, as yesterday I had 3 updates within the space of 1Hr despite have the global setting as 24Hrs.

• Ironbuket
    Ironbuket ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022

FYI: With profiles turned off and interval set to 24Hrs. I saw an update after about 22Hrs today. Im not restarting my system very often atm, and suspect the updates are triggering after a reboot. I will update more when Ive had a chance to check further. At the very least, the interval is being ignored, even when profiles are off, so the basis of my original post still stands.

Edit: Just restarted my system and got an update within a few minutes of boot-up. 100% sure now that updates are happening after boot-up and totally ignoring what interval the user sets (even with profiles turned off).

• Can someone from BD acknowledge this is now on their bug list? Is this thread being ignored because it was read earlier before I had tested it with profiles off? Do I need to post a new thread about this to get someone at BD to notice it?

BD updates the definitions every system boot, regardless of if profiles are on or off and regardless of whatever is set as the interval set by the user.

I don’t recall seeing this issue occur before the client fix in early Sept to address the log4j forced scan issue #2. Although, if I recall correctly, there were a series of client updates in the weeks following as well (at least 2 or 3 I think).

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited October 2022

Hi @Ironbuket,

Regarding this:

I have not tested this specifically, but I suspect the BD client is performing a ‘forced’ additional update a short period following each system restart. I have previously identified BD client behaviours which are triggered by a system start-up and ignore all client settings and this appears to be yet another one.

This is the expected behaviour, the interval is not ignored, but it refers to the updates after the restart. So there's an update after the restart for signatures and for the product.

Then that specific interval is applied.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• How do I turn this off? Where is the control in the client interface?

At the very least, it needs aditional explaination text on the interval screen explaining that it doesnt actually set the interval? Profiles on = ignored. Restart = ignored. Wouldnt be surprised if there wasnt something else that makes it ignore it, that I havent found yet.

• This cannot be disabled as far as I know. By default, Bitdefender checks for updates when you turn on your device and every hour after that. If an update is detected, it is automatically downloaded and installed on your device. The default update settings are suited for most users and you do not normally need to change them.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user