Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Since Windows 11 22H2 upgrade: Application launch hangs randomly (only with BD installed)

Options

Problem

• Since upgrading from Windows 11 22H1 to 22H2 launching applications frequently results in a short freeze / hang (20-30 seconds).
  • Happend about once every 2 hours, but still feels rather random
  • Mouse and already running application still respond but newly launched apps won't start
  • After the lag is gone all these apps launch at once
  • No blue / black screen
  • No Windows event manager entry directly connected to the hang (as far as I can see)

What I tried

• Windows DISM health check (100% ok), Windows SFC repair (100% ok)
  • Uninstalled BD, used BD uninstaller, fresh install (problem persists)
  • Deactivated BD Advanced Thread Detection and Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office Protection modules (problem persists)
  • Uninstalled BD and used the machine with Windows Defender only (problem gone for a full week, then tried next solution idea)

System

• Windows 11 Pro x64, 22H2, Build 22621.674
  • Bitdefender Total Security, Build 26.0.28.94
  • Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office, Build 40173
  • Intel i9-12900K Alderlake, Nvidia 3080 FE, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB m2 PCIe

I'm 100% sure that this issue only started after upgrading from Windows 11 22H1 to Windows 11 22H1.

It feels like an issue with the newly implemented Intel Thread Director 2 (22H2) vs Thread Director 1 (22H1). Like the application gets confused which of the many cores to use. But most likely my presumption is wrong.

Thanks a lot for your support and help, I'm clueless what the root cause could be except BD.

Comments

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue,

create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

and

create a connectivity log file, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail:

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log files you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log files will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

• GS
    Options

Hi Gjoksi,

thanks a lot for your support and information on how to proceed. I'll do so now and report back once we got closer to the root cause.

Best regards

• GS
    Options

Final Update:

• Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office was the root cause
    • It's protection features caused the massive hangs
    • Uninstalling only the protection features (keeping the backup functionality) led to no more hangs
    • While benchmarking the system impact of Acronis and Bitdfender I learned that advanced thread protection has a rather huge (IOPS -30%) impact on any NVMe SSD drive
  • Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi @GS,

Thank you for sharing the outcome with us. Glad to hear the issue was solved.

Enjoy your Bitdefender product and have a wonderful time ahead!

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user