Questions About Bitdefender VPN Locations

Coffee999
Coffee999
edited October 2022 in VPN

I really know nothing about VPN's but I'm trying to learn. My reason for using a VPN is just to keep me a bit invisible to Big Brother, and to just leave it on all the time, and never mess with it as long as it's working. And using the automatic setting to connect to the closest location is all I would need,...... I think.

So, the question is why a need for so many locations to choose from, and why would a person choose one over another or choose an overseas location? I bet there are multiple reason, I can only think of 1, speed. Buy why would someone purposely choose say Singapore over Australia if speed wasn't a reason?

Answers

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited October 2022

Hello again :)

You've been asking some good questions today :)

Right off the top of my head, to bypass any content that may be blocked in your country by using a different location. To be able to go around, bypass blocked content in your area. Otherwise, you're right; the ability to connect to the closest, fastest server.

Also, is the need for people in different countries to have server options to choose from, which then all gets "lumped in" with all the other locations we all have access to. BD uses Hotspot shield servers, so this comes along with the package, but Bitdefender does make it their own by their setting, layout etc.

This is how the BD support article worded it. It also has some good misc information.

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/7126/

You want to access content that is normally restricted in specific areas, no matter if you are home or abroad.

Restricted content can be accessed as well, no matter the country that practices internet censorship.

edit: for clarity and an additional reason, if you're traveling, you have those server locations to choose from. As an example of traveling from New York to California, you can change, connect, to the faster server in that area.

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Thank you for that detailed answer, Scott. I can see now why someone may fiddle with a VPN now. Thank you