VPN on linux or router

Hi, is it possible to install bitdefeder premium vpn on linux or router device ?

Comments

• Hello @zygmunt78 and welcome to the Community!

The Bitdefender consumer products are not compatible with Linux or any other OS/Device not listed on the requirements section of the product page. Our solutions offer complete protection for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS only.

Best regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• @Alexandru_BD you know, all of bit defender's servers are using Linux. no one uses windows for managing services and servers. your basic tools are linux and you still do not have any release for linux???

windows, android, ios and mac are supported but not linux?? you just need to compile it for linux!!! give me the source code and I will compile it. it does not take any time at all.

just give it together and make it fast. most of the developers are waiting for this release.

Regards

• If it's just the VPN your looking to use. I would recommend just downloading the windows version and using wine HQ to run it.

What is wine?

Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux

• Hello @Prof Alex,

Bitdefender does offer an enterprise solution for Linux:

However, we don't have a dedicated solution for Home Users and there are no foreseeable plans to develop one in the near future. We have received this feature request from our member over the years, but it didn't make it into development.

Regards

• I have heard that alot. you have a lot of linux user with home protection not hte business one. are not gonna even consider this? don't you care about your customers services and needs?

It is even more critical than other os you know that better than me. you can simply make a client for that if desiging a gui is not possible!

Regards

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Bitdefender used to have linux product for home users but due to less number of user using it the development of the product was stopped. As of now, there has been a change in user that are seeking for linux product for home users to be reintroduced but at the end it comes down to the developers whether they feel if it is worth developing a linux product for home users.

More information can be provided by @Alexandru_BD, @Mike_BD

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited May 2023

Hi,

@Flexx sums it up pretty well. We can't promise that a Linux version will resume development in the near future, but we always forward our user's feedback to our product teams and if there's demand, there are always chances.

Regards

• Just adding my vote for a Linux option. I'd be happy with permission and instructions to manually configure through Ubuntu system settings.

• I second those that are calling for Bit Defender products to be made available on Linux.

I pay for Total Security and VPN and I can't use either on my Linux systems.

Linux endpoint security considering every Linux box a server (what about laptops and home users) is silly.

I hope more people add their names to this thread, asking Bit Defender to sort this out. This way Bit Defender cannot argue that demand is too low.

If Bit Defender don't have time to maintain it, why not make it open source and put the code on Github?

• David Ferver
    edited October 2023

+1

I understand that AV might not come to Linux (and is probably also not really necessary), but the VPN would really be a must!

• I concur, especially for those that have bought into the Bit/Armor security ecosystem. More and more people are switching from Win11 to a Linux distro of some sort, even skipping the ridiculously expensive Mac ecosystem. I, for one, have one laptop with Win11 on it, the rest being some Chromebooks, but mostly .deb and a couple .rpm distros. Personally, I would think it would be great to get the premium Bitdefender which I pay for, in a flatpak, or dare I say, even in a snap? At least in flatpak or snap you wouldn't have to worry about dependency issues.