Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Long delays when opening images using ACDSee Quick View

Options

I am experiencing painfully long delays when trying to open images using ACDSee Quick View.

New install on a new computer, running a trial to see if this works better with my VPN than McAfee did. Everything else seems OK, but waiting 4-5 seconds to open any (even small) image files. These were instantaneous to open previously with McAfee. a few days ago. Viewing with Picasa is a little faster, but still not as fast as it should be. I tried disabling protection but it didn't seem to do anything - perhaps I missed something.

The only thing that changed was uninstalling McAfee and installing Bitdefender.

What can I do in BitDefender to mitigate this? I am not used to this program yet, not sure where to look.

Bitdefender Total Security Build 26.0.32.123

Answers

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hi @Microfiche

I take it the McAfee uninstall went well? Did you need to use their removal tool?

Even though you disabled the AV and Threat Defense, you could try adding the program to exceptions for both the AV and Advanced Threat Defense and see if that helps.

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Thanks @Scott , part of the problem was that the Antivirus was not showing up at ALL in the Protection window when I looked previously. I thought maybe Bitdefender called it something else and I was quite puzzled.

When I looked at your first link, Antivirus was showing, so I thought that was really weird and went back in and it was there now. 🙄 That was what I was looking for. I couldn't even disable it, as it was not there.

Adding an exception for the quick view app did the trick - pretty much useless as a "quick viewer" if it takes 5 seconds each time to load it.

• Scott
    edited February 2023
    Options

lol..a quick viewer, which is slow :) Glad it helped, and just another helpful aide is if you think Bitdefender isn't looking right or has a glitch to it, it is to run the repair, which is not a total uninstall, but an in-place repair.

edit: most of your settings will be lost when you run a repair, just so you know. You may need to add the app back into exceptions.

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Still having issues with a LOT of apps taking upwards of 5 seconds to start if Advanced Threat Defence is enabled - this is a little ridiculous. If I turn it off, it works great. This is not a computer performance issue - I just built this box.

If there is no way to save settings on this program when you reinstall, it is pretty much useless then. The reason I am paying for a firewall/antivirus is to have those kinds of capabilities. From searching the forums it appears there is no such feature or even a workaround? I have a LOT of rules painstakingly set up in the firewall and exclusions set. Redoing all those is too much work - easier to move to a program that has them.

Can you confirm that if I uninstall or repair, all my custom settings are lost and not retrievable?

• Scott
    edited February 2023
    Options

@Microfiche to answer your last question, I have read in the past where some members have lost their settings, so I have always played it safe in saying they could lose them in doing a repair. I do not want to give any member here a false sense of security that everything will remain, especially multiple firewall rules and AV exceptions. If they do stay in-tact, uncork the champagne :)

From the repair article:

"By following this quick reinstall procedure, your customized settings are kept and available in the reinstalled product. Other Bitdefender options may be switched back to their default configuration".

@Alexandru_BD what has been your experience, or your thoughts on this?

• Thanks @Scott do you know where these are saved?

I don't see them anywhere obvious in the related AppData directory or the registry - at least not unencrypted. I am not scared to import registry files or overwrite user profile AppData folders if necessary. Or do they actually store then in the C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\ folder somewhere?

• Scott
    Options

Regarding that one, my friend, I couldn't tell you. I've never dug that deep to try to find that location. Let's see if Alexandru can help us out, if you don't mind waiting another day.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi,

So, if you reinstall the product from the Control Panel, then the firewall rules and antivirus exceptions will be kept. But only if you choose reinstall and NOT manual uninstall using the uninstall tool.

Regarding other settings that may change to their default configuration, these are related to preferences and general settings such as encrypted web scan, for example. If it was off before you may find it enabled after reinstalling, or profiles might be enabled/disabled as well.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user