Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

VPN - BBC iPlayer not working

Options
2»

Comments

• TheDGI
    Options

Just noticed today that using Bitdefender's VPN is now working with BBC iPlayer. Woot! I hope it continues to work like this for a while. I watch it in medium video quality to avoid any buffering problems I sometimes experience on high details.

Cheers to the Bitdefender team for resolving this issue!

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @TheDGI and thank you for following up.

It's good to hear this. Indeed, it appears that BBC iPlayer is available again with a VPN connection. We are still gathering feedback from users, so if anyone still encounters connectivity issues, please leave us a comment on this thread so we can further investigate.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• TheDGI
    Options

I've once again had the error on BBC iplayer about not being in the UK. However, I found out by setting clear cookies, etc in Google Chrome when it exits, enables on to have no problems. Sure, you need to log in again (Go for a password manager for ease) and click "Yes I have a TV licence", but it works everytime I've tried it.

Occassionally though I have buffering issues which stops the broadcast dead in it's tracks. But a simple refresh and replay resolves that. Sure, it's not an easy ride with BBC iplayer....but I've tested this is over 6 different VPNs, and all have the same problems. It's not just Bitdefender!

So yeah...for Google Chrome...

1. Go to settings; Privacy and Security; Cookies and other site data; Clear cookies and site data when you close all windows and hit the slider! (Remember, this will log you out of all stuff too...get a password manager!)
    2. Load up BBC Player, Sign into your account, agree to TV Licence and play your show.

Yes, yes...it's not a fix - but technically one isn't supposed to be watching outside the UK right? So a little hassle one shall have. I hope this help folks enjoy their experience a bit more.

And as I mentioned, I have tried, AdguardVPN, NordVPN, ExpressVPN, Hotspot Shield, SurfShark and AtlasVPN and all had problems. This is not excusive to Bitdefender. BBC iPlayer are obviously good at catching VPNs.

Testing buffering/disconnection problem's next!

• TheDGI
    TheDGI
    edited April 2023
    Options

It seems BitDefender is having problems again with the BBC iPlayer webpage. It's a bit wierd in that the webpages themselves are not loading properly or not at all. I have had some success with AdguardVPN - but unfortunately that is it out of all the VPNs I'm testing.

However, one thing I did notice with buffering issues using a VPN with iPlayer can be resolved by changing the streams resolution for high to medium on the player itself. Still if one can't access the iPlayer, one can not change the resolution :)

Any thoughts from the BitDefender Team?

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @TheDGI,

Thanks for the insightful info regarding other VPNs and the BBC iPlayer. Can you tell us if the connectivity issue occurs on both UK locations, London and Manchester?

Regards

• TheDGI
    Options

Unfortunately it seems to have been with both, neither one has been better than the other. However, I can tell you that presently I am getting good results with both London and Manchester on the site again. I'm running the quality at Medium and finishing 30 minute programs without interuption.

I can not tell you when this went good again as I haven't been watching BBC iPlayer this week due to work schedule.

Would it be helpful if I note the IP addresses that work better or worse over the course of the next week? I generally watch the BBC every night for about 90 minutes.

Cheers for your response! :)

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Sure, let us know those IP addresses if it goes bad again and I'll ask the VPN unit to investigate, if necessary 😉

Cheers and have a good day!