How do I view the xml log files from scans?

I can't view the log files in Chrome, Firefox, or Edge. Chrome and Edge just show me a blank page. Firefox just shows the drive letter in the top left corner like this: "D:\"

Answers

• Hello @shallows,

I haven't seen this before and I'm not exactly sure what could be causing it. There can be multiple causes, however. Try to use notepad++ and see if you can view the log. Normally, if there was a problem with the xml, you should have received an error message..

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Hi @Alexandru_BD,

Thanks for the reply. I've opened it in Notepad++, but that's just an editor. Looking at the raw XML isn't a useful way to examine a large log file.

I did a scan of a single mp3 file so I can use it for an example here...

Here's how it displays in Firefox...

Here's how it looks in Notepad++...

Here's how it looks on https://codebeautify.org/xmlviewer...

On the right-hand side in that screenshot, is that how it's supposed to look when displayed in a browser?

I asked ChatGPT to analyze the contents of the file and it said the code looked ok.

(I contacted Bitdefender's tech support yesterday and the agent helping me didn't know what the problem was, he had to escalate my case and said someone should get back to me in 24-48 hours. He was supposed to email me a transcript of our chat and a case number after we finished, though, and he never did.)

Maybe nothing I've written here helps, but would love to hear your feedback. Thanks again.

• Scott
    Scott ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @shallows

You're right, none of those are how it should look. For years Bitdefender's default XML viewer has been through Internet Explorer. Try this, go back to that file, right-click it and select "Open with" and Choose another app. In Windows 10, the IE icon should display (images below) in Windows 11 you will have to go to Program Files to find IE. then "Open with" IE, and you should get the following, including all of the drop-down information.

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info. I just did what you said and it works, it comes up in Internet Explorer, looks just like your screenshot, and the dropdown arrows work. I didn't even know that browser was on this computer, and I never would have expected it to be the solution anyway. I'm perplexed why Firefox, Chrome and Edge don't work. I even made a new Firefox session with no adblocker, same thing. But anyway, the logs are now readable to me, I guess that's what matters.

Thank you!