Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Why did Bitdefender decide to Update, 20 mins into a system scan?

Hi,

When Bitdefender subscription expires, won't be renewing the five licences.

Not going to do system scan and 20 minutes into scan Bitdefender wants to update, reboot device.

System scan starts again, I'm now 25 mins behind schedule.

First and last time this will happen!

Answers

• Hello @Notimp,

This is the expected behavior of the antivirus because the update is prioritized in the above scenario.

But chances are, you won't be encountering this on every system scan, it just happened that the new build reached your device at the same time while you were scanning it. I agree this may create an inconvenience, but speaking for myself here, I wouldn't ditch an awarded cybersecurity solution because of that alone. I would restart the scan and carry on. But that's just me.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

And if you wanted to make sure the scan went uninterrupted, make the quick adjustment in the Update setting by choosing one of these options.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Good point @Scott, I totally overlooked this possibility.

Cheers

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Guilhermesene
    Guilhermesene Defender of the month ✭✭✭

Hi @Notimp,

A tip is also to leave the option "Scan only new and modified files" checked in the product settings.

That way Bitdefender will skip scanning certain files that have already been scanned since the last time.

Another tip is to leave the option "Scan for compressed files" unchecked in the product settings. After all, there is no need for this because in order to get infected by a malicious file you will need to decompress the compressed file, then Bitdefender will detect it and start the protection/cleaning services.

These two tips are important and save a lot of unnecessary time during the scan.

Take care, stay safe.