Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

bdservicehost.exe is using 2.5GB+ or RAM

Options

New user to BitDefender here. Switched from ESET about a week ago.

I'm noticing unusually high RAM usage by bdservicehost.exe, as I said, around 2.5GB of ram being used at idle (no scans or anything happening).

So far I've tried turning BD services on and off, and also manually activating movie profile (as those things were recommended by some people on a similar thread), but to no avail.

Using Windows 10 Pro (22H2), with BitDefender Build 27.0.25.116

System Specs:

Core i7 6700K

32GB DDR4 RAM

RTX 3050 Graphics Card

Samsung 950 Pro nvme SSD

Why is this happening? Is there a solution?

Best Answer

• Raynor1511
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Update: I uninstalled and then re-installed BitDefender Total Security.

Currently after doing this and after allowing the initial assessment, and also running a manual update, at idle bdservicehost.exe is sitting at ~300MB of RAM, with a Maximum utilization of about ~600MB when the aforementioned processes were running.

Two notes:

1. The product version seems to have been downgraded from Build 27.0.25.116 -> 27.0.25.115. So this is after running an update, the "latest" version is now .115
    2. I used the installer from the Bitdefender central with my license already pre-loaded onto it. As opposed to just using the generic installer that I did originally, and having to enter the license manually.

Don't know if any of the above made a difference, but just thought I'd mention it.

I guess for now the problem is "solved". But I'll keep monitoring the situation and update if it starts going RAM hungry again.

Update #2: Shortly after posting this message, the product updated itself to version 27.0.25.116 again. RAM usage is still stable, so no issues there.

Answers

• Funny how I'm talking to myself here basically. Anyone on this forum wanna give their 2 cents?

So after running the first full scan, the RAM usage gradually went up and peaked at around ~2.7GB. However, after the scan was finished, it just stayed at that level and did not go down.

Only after restarting my PC did the RAM usage go down again, and is now sitting idle at ~540MB.

Is this normal BD behavior?

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

@camarie can provide you more information on this.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hello Raynor..I don't want you talking to yourself, so here it goes :)

If you can, uncheck your thread as Answered, which may help to give it some attention.

Also, this has been an issue for some regarding BD hitting 1.5GB and beyond, and I'm not sure it's been resolved. There was a mod who posted over last weekend the same thing happened to him with a clean install of Windows, but I don't see that post anymore.

As far as 500MB and below that amount, is considered normal for BD.

If you want to try these steps below, may or may not help. Otherwise, maybe @camarie or @Alexandru_BD have some new insights on what can be done.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @Raynor1511,

For starters, I'll share this article which explains more about bdservicehost:

Then I also 'summon' @camarie for additional insights. 🙂

I think he's offline at the moment, but maybe he'll get back to us when he sees this.

Cheers

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    Options

Hard to tell. Judging from the restart that fixed the RAM consumption, it might have been a Windows update pending, or the scan did not release the memory - which I doubt. Anyways, I am not directly familiar with the scan, but there might be other background operations as well after the install that might have propped up the RAM usage.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello.

My specs:

Asus X551CA

Core i3-3217U 1.8GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 4GB DDR3, 120GB SATA-III SSD

OS Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64 With Latest Windows Updates Installed

Installed On 18.01.2023

OS Build 19045.3803

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

BD Total Security 27.0.25.116

Engine Version 7.95792

Just did a test and wanted to share the results with you:

when idle:

when update in progress:

when system scan in progress:

NOTE: For "System Scan", "Scan task priority" is set to "High", which takes much more resources (CPU, RAM, disk, power) than "Low" and "Auto", but decreases the time needed for the scan process to finish.

Regards.