Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Update on Startup

Options

Please add Update at Startup. I would like to have fresh definitions as soon as I start using the computer in the morning when I turn it on.

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

Bitdefender updates automatically when the database is available. By default, the difference between two successive updates is one hour. @Alexandru_BD can provide you with more information regarding the feature of introducing Bitdefender updates at Windows startup.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• spaceweasel
    Options

I am aware of the automatic updates every hour, but I thought it would be a nice feature to have Bitdefender update its definitions, immediately on startup, after being shut down for the night, automatically.

I, manually, update the definitions every morning on startup.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    Options

Kaspersky does this...showing a system tray download arrow on startup. Otherwise, I do the same thing, a right-click BD system tray icon update.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Guilhermesene
    Guilhermesene Defender of the month ✭✭✭
    edited January 4
    Options

I understand what @spaceweasel meant by the topic and I'll briefly explain my experience.

I used ESET for 3 years uninterrupted and one of the best experiences I had with the product was that when I started the computer (either by shutting down/hibernating or suspending) ESET would update itself. This is fantastic as it gives you a feeling of always being up to date and secure.

This mentioned by @spaceweasel has also been one of my wishes for Bitdefender for years.

I understand that we can manually click for Bitdefender to update itself when we start the system, but it would be great to have a basic function like this already built into the BD to automatically update itself when we start the system.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello.

As far as i know, Bitdefender automatically checks for updates 5 minutes after you turn on your computer and every hour after that.

@Alexandru_BD Is that correct?

Regards.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello,

By default, Bitdefender performs automatic updates when you turn on your computer and every hour after that. When an update is detected, it is automatically downloaded and installed.

Taken from this article:

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Guilhermesene
    Options

Hello @Alexandru_BD,

We still have to wait 1 hour after the device has started for the update to take place.

Why not create a function so that when the system starts or when an internet connection is detected it is updated automatically? I believe that for the development staff this should be something simple to develop 🙂

Regards,

Guilherme

• spaceweasel
    Options

Having this feature would ensure our computers are protected from overnight threats the moment we start our computers.

• Guilhermesene
    Options

I certainly think so too 🙂 I'd love to see this simple feature implemented

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi @Guilhermesene,

We still have to wait 1 hour after the device has started for the update to take place. - Bitdefender takes into account the fact that product updates and signatures may have appeared while the PC was off, so it will start searching for updates as soon as the device is powered on. It won't wait 1 hour after the reboot, but it will search for updates as soon as you start your computer and then every hour after that.

I hope it's clearer now. 😁

Thanks

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

@spaceweasel to sum it up, the antivirus already does what you have requested. 🙂

• spaceweasel
    Options

Then why do I have to update, manually, when I start the computer? Bitdefender does NOT do that.

• Guilhermesene
    Options

Hello, everyone,

I think I know a process that can make Bitdefender update itself as soon as the system starts automatically...

Well, unfortunately I can't comment here... but @Scott knows what I'm talking about 😙 (I posted something similar in another community)

I just need some time to get organized, format my system and get everything in order...

Maybe this week I should work on something and run some tests 😗

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

As previously stated, by default, Bitdefender performs automatic updates when you turn on your computer and every hour after that. When an update is detected, it is automatically downloaded and installed.

If you have reasons to believe this is not happening, I would recommend to get in touch with the support engineers regarding this, because they can have a closer look and find out what's happening there. All successful or failed updates appear in notifications, so you can easily check for information there. Do you have any profiles enabled? These will also interfere with the updates. My update settings look like this, for reference:

• spaceweasel
    Options

Please re-read the previous posts.

We are not requesting the definitions be updated during the first hour of operation. We are requesting the definitions be updated AS SOON as the computer is started.

Many other anti-virus programs provide this option.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

The updates take place as soon as the computer is started and hourly after that, please see my previous comments.

If this doesn't happen for some reason, then the behavior must be investigated further, but the software is designed to look for updates as soon as it wakes up. 🙂

• spaceweasel
    Options

I've used Bitdefender for years, and it has never updated on startup by itself.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

@spaceweasel I understand. On topic, I found another thread where one of our members reported that automatic updates are not working for him, so I've asked our engineers to have a closer look. This one is in German, right-click to translate:

The user does mention that he has 2 PCs and according to him, the automatic updates are apparently working for one of the devices, so it could be an isolated case as well and we might need specific details from the device where they are not being applied. I've also made an inquiry regarding any other similar reports that may have been handled by the Support teams, but I couldn't find any. My recommendation would still be to get in touch with the Support engineers to investigate this behavior further, otherwise we can only make assumptions, because without logs we cannot know for sure why the updates are not being carried out automatically..

Regards,

Alex

• spaceweasel
    Options

I left my first comment as a suggestion. I saw something that could make Bitdefender better.

I don't wish to be in a running debate about the meanings of words or whether Bitdefender does this already, so this will be my last post.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

I understand. But by all means, this doesn't have to be your last post, we are happy to have you here and you can chat with us anytime. 🙂

• Guilhermesene
    Options

@Alexandru_BD I'll send you a private message :) I ask you to see what I'm going to send you... I think I'll try to do that with BD

• CoDgerry
    Options

It does not update itself when I wake my computer from standby.

last update was 8 hours ago.

the next time it will check for updates is 1 hour after I wake the PC from standby.

Just have it update itself after a user logs in. 😘

• CoDgerry
    Options

@Alexandru_BD

sorry but I have to bother you. what do you think of my suggestion (comment above, last sentence)?

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @CoDgerry,

I think this behavior needs to be investigated in-depth in order to establish an accurate diagnosis. Bitdefender should look for updates as soon as the device is turned on, so if this doesn't happen for some reason, more information is required from the device where Bitdefender is installed, and this should be provided to the Bitdefender Support teams for further analysis. Bitdefender performs automatic updates when you turn on your computer and every hour after that, this is the expected behavior and indicates the correct functionality of the antivirus. If the hourly updates take place, but the one at startup doesn't happen for some reason, a more thorough investigation is needed.

Regards,

Alex

• CoDgerry
    Options

Hi @Alexandru_BD ,

I suspect that it does update when Windows gets properly shut down, but only then.

Which is a problem because the Windows 10 and Windows 11 standard setting is to do a sort of hybrid between shutdown and hibernation/standby. It seems as if in that case, the automatic update is not triggered.

Also, some people almost never really shut down their systems, they just hit "Standby".

But then again even if I properly RESTART my system, it does not automatically update on startup.

It would be nice to more aggressively trigger the auto update when a user signs in.

This might avoid some 0-Day attacks, no?

• CoDgerry
    Options

meh, nah the "full" shutdown didn't help.

• SeriousHoax
    Options

In my case, fast startup is disabled and Bitdefender updates signature 5-6 minutes after turning on the system. Tested on three different systems. Two real machine and one VM. All SSD users should turn fast startup off.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @CoDgerry,

In newer versions of Windows, shut down or sleep is no longer equal to restart, due to performance considerations of the operating system. So unless the user explicitly restarts the system, he would no longer be able to replace the update files as he used to do before. This is what happens for product updates. I also think the machine needs to be shut down properly for Bitdefender to start looking for signature updates when you turn it back on.

As far as I can tell, It seems to be working as intended for @SeriousHoax..