Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Win 7 Pro - False Positive C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Update Manager\bin\iumsvc.exe?

Options

I have a Windows 7 Pro SP1 machine which is not routinely used. About 7 days ago, BitDefender began reporting malicious application alarms on C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Update Manager\bin\iumsvc.exe.

I scanned the file with BitDefender and it did not find a problem.

What is the procedure to determine if this is a false positive?

Best Regards

Comments

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello.

Only the anti-malware researchers at Bitdefender Labs can help you with the issue.

You should report the file(s) as false positive to Bitdefender Labs here:

You could also follow the steps from this article:

Regards.

• Mark957
    Options

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I have reported the, hopefully, false positive as you directed.

Best Regards

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

Could you also share the VirusTotal link here? Although the behavior blocker detected the file as malicious, you can still check if any other vendors also detect the file as malicious.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Mark957
    Options

VirusTotal did not find any issues

Best Regards

• Peter2468
    Options

Same for me using a Windows 10 PC. Happened immediately after Bitdefender did a product update.

I have submitted it as false positive. Thanks for posting about the problem. It's less worrying when you find others are having the same issue.

• Thank you for your posts as my Win10 system has reported the same application block alert.

Full SCAN of course says Your system is clean. I have also used and posted the file using the false positive page. This is a MS win10 pc upgraded from win7 some time ago.

I can also add it seems to correlate to the product mentioning an update - new look.

Somewhat unnerving in the present

• vmserv
    Options

Same for me with W10. My computer came new with W10 loaded, some years ago. I have used Bitdefender for about 1 year, what is starting to look like false positives started on Feb 2. I have since followed Bitdefender's data gathering system, this took about 40 mins from start to finish. The results file created occupied circa 100M, I had to contact Bitdefender for an upload address. I have not heard from them since the upload. Bitdefender's last update before this started was Jan 26, my computer booted several times thereafter without both incident and further software changes until the complaints started on Feb 2. I have not reported a potential false positive to Bitdefender. When I spoke to Intel, they said it might be a driver issue but this is an area I know nothing about. Bitdefender has updated itself after the problems started but the reports still keep coming.

• vmserv
    Options

I received an email reply from Intel who told me that my drivers were out of date, I had Intel update manager 3.4.1942 from 7Dec2016 and they suggested I update to Intel driver & support via the link supplied. The reply has taken me into the realms of my Windows ignorance ...

Getting rid of update manager was a bit of a problem, downloading driver & support was straightforward but ruinning it was slightly concerning. I was warned that I was about to overwrite something (presumably from 2016) by an older version of itself, replacement declined. At the end of the install, I was told there was 1 update available. I decided to apply it and received the following error I did not understand ...

Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers (Archived)

Installation failed with error code 0x80070007 (-2147024889)

2/6/2024 9:37 AM

Description:

This download installs the Intel® Graphics Driver for 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th generation, Apollo Lake, Gemini Lake, Amber Lake, Whiskey Lake, and Comet Lake.

Version:

x.x.x.7870Release date:

February 19, 2020Size:

321.64 MB

Learn more about this update

While all this was going on, Bitdefender updated itself so I had two concurrent processes possibly attacking the same problem. I rebooted again before I started to add this to yesterday's log. 30 minutes in Bitdefender has not complained about Intel driver & support so problem solved ... but please do not follow blindly in my footsteps unless you underdstand drivers.

• Mark957
    Options

As of today, 16-Feb-2024, my Windows 7 Pro SP1 machine has not reported the error for several days. I presume a routine update has remedied the problem.

Thanks!

Best Regards