Bitdefender vpn unifiedSDK.service.exe error in windows reliability monitor

Petersl
Petersl Defender of the month ✭✭✭
in VPN

Hi everyone,

There is an issue when the bitdefender vpn is installed it gives an unifiedSDK.service.exe error in the windows reliability monitor, this error occurs every time after boot.

The vpn does connect but when closing the vpn app and then restarting it I also sometimes get a "the service does not work at this time. Restart your computer" error. After restart the vpn works again.

It started after I reinstalled bitdefender last year and with this install the "Tap adapter" was replaced with the "Wintun Tunnel".

I have a ticket with support about this issue since December 2023, they did fix it once in an update but then with the next update the issue returned. Bitdefender support is aware of this issue and are working on a fix.

I have unistalled the bitdefender vpn until there is a permanent fix.

Thx

Comments

• Hello @Petersl,

Do you already have a ticket raised for the Support teams on this topic? If yes, they will get back to you as soon as possible and assist further.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Petersl

Yes @Alexandru_BD I have a ticket with support.

Thx

• Alright @Petersl, thanks for letting us know.

Please do update us on the status and your findings, as we would very much like to find out what's causing this error and hopefully help others this way.

Thanks.

• Petersl

Hi @Alexandru_BD

Bitdefender support has let me know on the ticket that they are aware of this issue and are working on a fix. The fix will update automatically with bitdefender total security.

I'll let you know on this post when they have fixed it.

Thx

• Tester4321
    edited May 20

Many users have this problem and it has been reported here for several months - but without success. We have three computers running BD with VPN, and the error occurred on all of them. After the last VPN update it was only on 2, but unfortunately it wasn't fixed for everyone.

—>

• Petersl

Hi everyone,

I have an update about the "UnifiedSDK.service.exe" issue:

I've reinstalled my bitdefender total security and now I'm no longer getting the "UnifiedSDK.service.exe" error. My other windows devices also update the vpn to the new versions and they're also not getting the "UnifiedSDK.service.exe" error. This "UnifiedSDK.service.exe" issue seems to be fixed at least on my device.

I did not get an update form support yet though that this "UnifiedSDK.service.exe" issue was fixed on my ticket with them so I assume they're still working on it, I've let them know though that I'm no longer getting the "UnifiedSDK.service.exe" error.

I do however still get the error "the service is not working right now, reboot the pc". I don't get this error the first time I start the vpn but after I have closed it and restart the vpn, sometimes only after starting and closing a few times I get this error. Rebooting my pc solves it and the vpn connects.

• Petersl

Hi @abuislam

Since the latest update of bitdefender vpn I no longer have the "UnifiedSDK.service.exe" error when booting my pc as mentioned in my previous post.

I do still have the "the service is not working right now, reboot the pc" error when closing the vpn app and restarting it, rebooting the pc fixed this error. The vpn does also work normal when first started after boot of the pc.

I will keep this post updated when I receive an update form support on my ticket about this issue.

Thx

• Tester4321
    edited June 16

The bug was gone for one version. Now I have him back. Is that the case with you too? Since the VPN was updated again, the error has returned. In the reliability history you can see exactly how long it has been gone and since when it reappeared. All red crosses were caused by the BD VPN app. The error disappeared for 10 days. Now it is back.

Version: 27.0.3.35

• Petersl

Hi @Tester4321

On my pc I no longer have the error right now, I also have version 27.0.3.35.

I did completely reinstall bitdefender total security 2 weeks ago, maybe this fixed it for me. I can't be sure however because before the reinstall I did not have the vpn installed but on my other pc where I did have it installed but did not have the error because that pc still had an older version of the app running then when it updated to version 27.0.3.35 two weeks ago it doesn't have the error anymore.

A few months ago bitdefender support had let me know that it was fixed in a previous version of the vpn app and for one version it was indeed fixed then but after the next update the error came back.

So even when I no longer have the error on my pc at the moment it could come back with a next update.

• Petersl
    edited June 18

Hi @Tester4321,

Oh the irony, just as I was drafting my comment about me no longer having the "UnifiedSDK.service.exe" error the vpn updated to version 27.0.0.39 and now the "UnifiedSDK.service.exe" error is back.

• Bonjour,

J'ai exactement le même problème depuis la dernière mise à jour. Version 27.0.38.163

Bonne journée

• Bonjour,

Voici le détail de l'erreur :

Description
    Chemin d’accès de l’application défaillante : C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender VPN\UnifiedSDK.Service\UnifiedSDK.Service.exe

Signature du problème
    Nom d’événement du problème : APPCRASH
    Nom de l’application: UnifiedSDK.Service.exe
    Version de l’application: 2.12.1.256
    Horodatage de l’application: 656f6b0f
    Nom du module de défaut: KERNELBASE.dll
    Version du module de défaut: 10.0.19041.4522
    Horodatage du module de défaut: f7a99bd4
    Code d’exception: e0434352
    Décalage de l’exception: 000000000002ba99
    Version du SE: 10.0.19045.2.0.0.768.101
    ID de paramètres régionaux: 3084
    Information supplémentaire 1: 3998
    Information supplémentaire 2: 3998e11cdad7bd019b0aece5d7dcf047
    Information supplémentaire 3: d598
    Information supplémentaire 4: d598d077aeb15b88a837b3b5a15b951e

Informations complémentaires sur le problème
    Identifiant de compartiment : 70dd8e3d0f1abf355ef1491acf6f9dc2 (2229643670023282114)

• I have same issue with Bitdefender VPN Premium installed on yesterday.(June.20.2024)

When unifiedSDK.Service.exe is stopped, I got 2 types of windows error event logs.

After Bitdefender VPN Premium uninstalled, those logs are stopped.

• Tester4321
    edited June 21

@Alexandru_BD Are you reading this thread?

• Yes. This is a known issue, work in progress. There are no updates at this time.

• Quick update here: reinstall to version 27.0.5.45 should solve it, the crash re-appeared because the devs had to rollback to an older version.

• Seems to work for my system. Installed 27.0.5.45(a) an at the moment no crashes during system start.

• Petersl

Hi @Alexandru_BD @Tester4321

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the bitdefender vpn and now have version 27.0.5.45(a) running and I can confirm that this version no longer has the "unifiedSDK.service.exe " error on my system thanks.

• OK this is good news, thanks for sharing your feedback here. 👍️

• Bitdefender VPN Premium 27.0.5.45 works well.

There were no crash of Windows Reliability Monitor and Windows Error Event 1000 when it was installed.

Thank you all. 🙂

• Petersl

Hi everyone,

Update: Bitdefender support contacted me and they had me download a file and run it:

"Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

In order to resolve the issue you encountered with Bitdefender VPN, please follow the simplified version of the previous email. I am sending them to you once again, in order to make sure that you were upgraded to 27.0.5.45(b) instead of(a).

1. Open Bitdefender VPN, press on Settings in the upper right and go to Abouta) If you have version 27.0.5.45, proceed to step 2.
      b) If you have a version older than 27.0.5.45, download and run https://download.bitdefender.com/bdvpn/windows/27.0.5.45/bitdefender_vpn_64b.exe and after a maximum of 1-2 minutes, you will receive a message that the new version is ready to use. Open Bitdefender VPN and confirm you have version 27.0.5.45
    2. Connect and disconnect the VPN. Please follow this step even if the VPN doesn't connect. It is important to try a connection.
    3. Download the file attached to this email and rename it from bdvpn.batx to bdvpn.bat
    4. Right click on bdvpn.bat and click Run as Administrator
    5. If you receive a notification that the file is from an Unknown Publisher - please ignore it as it is normal and click Run Anyway.
    6. After 1-2 minutes, open the VPN normally (from the desktop icon, for example) and connect to the VPN.

Check if the issue has been resolved.

Looking forward to hearing the results!"

This has solved the "the service is not working right now, reboot the pc" error. The bdvpn.bat that support had me run updated the vpn from version 27.0.5.45(a) to version 27.0.5.45(b). It also installed 2 new adapters "Bitdefender_1" or "Bitdefender_2" and "Bitdefender Tap Adapter" and now uses "WireGuard Tunnel" instead of the "Wintun Tunnel".

I no longer have any issue at the moment with the bitdefender vpn, it works as it should at least on my pc thanks.

• Since BD VPN 27.0.5.45 (a) Internet often not works. Content is not loading. So I have to close VPN and restart. Is this a problem with 27.0.5.45 (a)?

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited July 22

Hello,

@Petersl thank you very much for posting this comprehensive solution received from the Support teams. This is exactly what I was referring to on other threads, when I recommended to contact the Bitdefender engineers, because as you have noticed, there were a couple of steps necessary to fix this and I was unaware of the full procedure. So again, I appreciate your post and I'm happy to hear this solved the issue. 👍️

• John7
    John7
    edited August 14

I contaxted them 3 days ago as my new laptop started to get the errer a week ago. I uninstalled and reinstalled both VPN and Bitdefender but evey time a boot I still get the errer. Doing W11 updates today ended with 4 errers, original booting then updat did two boots and the final loading! The problem is my versions are via Netgear so are old versions.

• Had reply from support, passed me link for Netgear, ends up with them again talk about passing the buck!

• Petersl

Hi @John7

Have you tried installing the vpn directly from the bitdefender vpn install file?

Uninstall the bitdefender vpn (only the vpn), then download the bitdefender vpn exe file from:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/34175/

Install the bitdefender vpn from the file and reboot to see if you still get the error.

• Thanks but will that work as I use the netgear version?

• Petersl
  • Thanks

• Hi @John7,

I cannot pronounce myself here, because I don't have all the details of your open ticket with the Support teams.
    Netgear is not my specialty, unfortunately, so I don't wish to steer you in the wrong direction. However, based on my findings, you were requested to provide a Support Tool log? Can you get back on that ticket and reply to the support representative providing the required information, please?

• Thanks I have given up with Netgear and changed to my ISPs hardware and bought Bitdefender direct. The VPN from them hasn't crashed as yet so if I had to wait for Netgear to catch up it would have been months