VPN is dropping IP address

My phone has been having the issue of the IP address being dropped or not assigned with new re-connection. Anyone else had this issue?

Comments

• Hello,

Does this happen on an Android device? If yes, check if this article helps:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2099/

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• No none of that works. I have an s23 Ultra fyi. Problem still occurs every so often

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited August 13

Check if the steps below help.

1. Restart your device: A simple restart can often resolve temporary glitches that might be causing the IP address issue.
    2. Check your internet connection: Ensure you have a stable and reliable internet connection. If possible, try connecting to a different network to see if the problem persists.
    3. Switch VPN servers: Try connecting to a different VPN server location. This can help bypass any server congestion or regional network issues.
    4. Update the app and your phone's software: Make sure you're running the latest version of Bitdefender VPN and that your phone's operating system is up to date.
    5. Reinstall the app: If the issue continues, try uninstalling and reinstalling Bitdefender VPN.

If the issue persists, kindly contact Bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help

Select, How to's & Troubleshooting Bitdefender productsTroubleshootingI don't knowContact Support→ You will get the option of chatcall or email.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Everything is updated, and pretty much have done everything. Changing network appears to cause that issue. Whenever I manually change from mobile Data to a Wi-Fi.

• Smithjohn012
    Smithjohn012 DR. WEb
    edited August 15

Yes, many users have reported issues with VPNs dropping IP addresses. This can be quite frustrating, especially when relying on a stable connection. Let's explore some potential causes and solutions:

Potential Causes:

VPN Server Issues: Overloaded servers, technical glitches, or maintenance can lead to IP drops.

Network Congestion:

High network traffic can interfere with VPN connections.  
    Device-Specific Problems: Outdated software, conflicting apps, or hardware issues might be culprits.
    VPN Client Issues: Bugs, incorrect settings, or outdated versions can cause instability.

Troubleshooting Steps:
    Check VPN Service Status:

Visit your VPN provider's website or social media for any service disruptions or maintenance notifications.
    Try connecting to a different server location to see if it resolves the issue.

Restart Your Device and Router:

A simple reboot can often fix temporary glitches.

Update VPN Client and Device Software:

Ensure you're using the latest versions of your VPN client and device operating system.

Check Network Settings:

Verify that your network settings (Wi-Fi or Ethernet) are correct and stable.
    Temporarily disable any firewalls or antivirus software that might interfere with the VPN.

Try a Different VPN Protocol:

Some VPN protocols are more stable than others. Experiment with different options (e.g., OpenVPN, WireGuard, IKEv2) to see if it helps.

• "Yes, many users have reported issues with VPNs dropping IP addresses."

This is my second VPN I'm using, first was Surfshark, and I haven't had any experiences like this with that service as far as I can remember. It may be something I'll have to live with. Thanks