Bitdefender Mobile Security - Scam phone number intercepting/blocking

Hi everyone,

I was wondering and not sure if this was brought up before but would like to give an idea for the Bitdefender Mobile Security where if it is possible to add a feature where it can intercept calls and notify the users if they are getting called scammers/fraudsters.

Key Features:

Real-Time Scam Detection:

• Leverage AI algorithms to detect patterns and behaviors typical of scam calls (e.g., rapid calling frequency, spoofed numbers).
  • Identify and flag suspicious numbers even if they aren’t in the global scam database yet.

Automatic Blocking & Warning System:

• Automatically block known scam numbers from calling or sending messages.
  • For new or unverified numbers, provide users with a warning screen before they answer, indicating the potential risk based on community reports or AI analysis.
  • Continuously update the app with new scam numbers and tactics based on global trends and user reports.
  • Offer insights on the nature of blocked or flagged calls, such as the type of scam (e.g., phishing, robocalls, tech support scams). If this can be integrated with the scam alert.

I understand phones like samsung are or already using these kind of features, but other brands may not have this in which that these feature. As for android I know that there is a feature to block numbers not in your phone book and block private numbers but say for instance there are say new clients, ISP technical team etc tries to call you, you will have to disable that so that their call can come true which then again sometimes we forget to turn it back on which will then leave the users back to square one.

I look forward for your reply😊

Best Regards,

Flanksy😉

The guardians of the digital realm

Bitdefender Premium Security, Digital Identity Protection user

Bitdefender Gravityzone user

1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• They can introduce this feature and partner with Truecaller. @agozob, any thoughts on this?

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

Personally, this is a feature I would like to have. I already use the one integrated in my Samsung smartphone but I find it not efficient enough. Therefore, I am always vigilant when I receive a call from an unknown number that I never answer.

Regards,

Windows 11 Famille 23H2

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.70 GHz

Bitdefender Premium Security Plus

• Hello,

I think identifying scam calls just by looking at the number can be challenging, as scammers often use techniques like spoofing, where they disguise their real number to appear as a local or familiar one. Now, this is where such a technology could come in handy, to identify a spoofed number that is most likely going to be used with malicious intent. Technologies designed to detect and mitigate call spoofing exist, for example protocols that work together to verify the authenticity of the caller's number by attaching a digital signature to the call. This signature is then validated by the recipient's network, ensuring that the number is legitimate. STIR (Secure Telephony Identity Revisited) and SHAKEN (Signature-based Handling of Asserted information using toKENs) are protocols developed to combat caller ID spoofing:

https://www.fcc.gov/call-authentication

Of course, this is just an example meant to illustrate what's being done to prevent these scam calls in America, but I think the concept of identifying and blocking scam calls on a bigger scale by using a dedicated technology based on the digital signature of the call, one that also leverages available resources such as scam numbers databases is nevertheless an interesting proposal.

Thank you for sharing your suggestion here @Flanksy ! 👍️

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited August 26

And like you said, we need to keep in mind that we also receive legitimate calls from numbers that are not saved in our agenda in various scenarios, takeaway orders, parcel services, technical teams we solicited for services, etc.
    So there are calls that you want to receive, thus blocking private numbers is not really a solution, in my opinion.
    But I think it's good practice to block callers who are not displaying their caller ID, of course. I mean, if someone hides their phone number when calling, there can really be two reasons for that: either to prank you or to scam you.

• Flanksy
    Flanksy ✭✭✭

Good day @Flexx and @Alexandru_BD,

Thank You for your advice on this as well as the explanation on STIR and my apologies on the late reply. Currently yes I do have the block private number on by default but there are still some of those robo scam calls that comes through.

Reason why I brought this up was also because the Police Department of my country have teamed up with Whoscall, a similar company like truecaller and gave 1 million people a year subscription for free and after that each of those users will have to pay at least 88 ringgit to maintain that premium use of finding whose number it is, unknown caller ID, Portal reviewer, Security ID, Automatic spamc call blocker and number update and no ads etc. It works better than the default built in scam/spam block in the sense that it will highlight to you if its telemarketing, scammer etc, similar to true caller. I'll provide the link below for your reference but most probably you may need to translate the page just incase it comes out in Bahasa instead of English.

https://whoscall.com/ms/premium

I look forward for your warm replies 😉

Best Regards,

Flanksy✌️

• Flexx
    Flexx mod
    edited August 27

Malwarebytes had a specific post on their online support forum that was regularly updated with scam/fraud call details from various users. These details were used to block such calls in their Malwarebytes for Android product until it was decided that the feature was no longer useful, and the scam/fraud blocking function was removed from their Android product. Below is the forum link related to this.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/238-report-scam-phone-numbers/

That being said, nothing beats Truecaller when it comes to detecting scam/fraud calls.

Regards

• Flanksy
    Flanksy ✭✭✭

Good day @Flexx,

Thank You for your advice on this and will have a read on the link that you have give as well😉

Best Regards,

Flanksy✌️

• A quick update here @Flanksy, it is my understanding that research is being done on this topic.

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

I share with you my recent experience.
    Yesterday, I received a fraudulent text message pretending to be a French government message. He was referring to a so-called "road ticket" unpaid.
    The Scam Alert feature in Bitdefender Mobile Security for Android alerted me immediately to delete the message.

The fraudulent message made me smile because I do not own a car. 😁

Regards

Windows 11 Famille 23H2

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30

Hello everyone,

Today, I received two fraudulent sms that had the object of "delivery of parcels".
    Fortunately for me, the "Scam Alert" function alerted me immediately.

Regards,

Windows 11 Famille 23H2

• Today, I received an SMS stating that my mobile number has been credited with INR 15,000 ($178.82) for playing rummy.

I wanted to play rummy, but Bitdefender didn't allow me. @Alexandru_BD, this isn't right—Bitdefender should have let me play! I guess it's just jealous that someone is giving me free money, lol 😂

Regards

• @Flexx congratulations for the prize! Oh, wait… 🤣

• Thanks, Alex! If only my prize was as real as my gaming skills! 😂

Regards