I am new to bitdefender and can't download the installation file

Elwin
edited March 4 in Install and Updates

I am new to bitdefender and cannot download the installation file for Total security. Seems to have an outflow error. I figured my browser was stopping the download. I have disabled all security settings for Firefox and window defender. My machine seems to be wide open. However Bitdefender total security will not download. I can download the app to my phone. What gives. About to ask for a refund.

Gerald E Garrett

[email address removed by admin]

Answers

• me too

• Hello @Elwin and welcome to the Community.

Seems to have an outflow error. - can you share with us the exact error message you receive? This may help us pinpoint the possible cause, since there can be several errors encountered in the install process, depending on the nature of the issue.

Is it "Downloading one of the installation files failed", or does the installation window simply disappear without any errors? Have you previously installed Bitdefender on that device, or is there any other active security solution installed there?

Thank you.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Bitdefender seems to have corrected the problem with the distributor. Seems like the problem was not me. Thanks to all who responded.

• Alright then, thanks for following up @Elwin, glad to hear it's sorted! 👍️

• I annually buy the Total Internet protection from Bitdefender... and up to now could first time download and install with NO hassles.. now it is downloaded and the programm automatically "removed" the old/ last years programm but when I am supposed to click to OPEN to follow the instructions to install... it does not open, not with double click nor with clicking the OPEN instructions...it just stays unresponsive....??? ANY tips please in simple language as I am not a tech geck at all....

• Hello @JEN2 and thanks for joining us here.

If you are manually renewing your cybersecurity solution each year, you are not required to reinstall the software on the devices where it was previously installed, IF you haven't made any changes, reinstalled the OS or uninstalled the product.

Basically, all you have to do is to redeem the activation code in your Central account following the purchase and the product will update its configuration and validity according to the subscription active in the Central account on all devices that were protected by the previous license. In simple terms, the antivirus should always be linked to the Central account where the license/subscription is running, because it draws its validity from there.

So, my question is this: are you trying to protect another device with your new Bitdefender license and encounter the install issue, or are you trying to install the antivirus on a device that was previously protected by Bitdefender?

Regards,

Alex

• I am new to Bitdefender and all was going well, installed on 2 Pc's and 2 phones. The third computer stops at opening the download, there is no indication of why it stops. I have plenty of RAM and it is a Windows 10 unit. How does one get help. I bought 10 unit program so that's not it either. I was also able to download the VPN on the 3rd PC.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited June 4

Hello @Diane Tex,

Was Bitdefender ever installed on that device, previously? Are there any other security solutions present on the device? What OS does the 3rd computer have? Do you receive any error message? If this error message is received during the Bitdefender installation "Some installation files are corrupted" OR "There was a problem downloading one of the installation files", make sure that an Internet connection is available and try again. If available, click the Retry button from the error message.

Regards,

Alex

• VICTORIA24
    edited September 8

Hi. I am switching from Kaspersky and am trying to install Bitdefender Total Security. However, every time I try it states I have to uninstall Kaspersky. Kaspersky showed up twice when Bitdefender showed me what I needed to uninstall. I've uninstalled one of them, but the other is still there and won't go away. The message I get says "only valid for programs that are currently installed" or some such thing.
    There seems to be a Microsoft Windows driver verification file that is still there labeled Kaspersky that I cannot get rid of. Kaspersky is also still showing up in the Programs and Apps. Any advice on how to proceed? I have tried everything!

• Have you tried using the Kaspersky standalone uninstaller developed by Kaspersky, which can be downloaded from the link provided below?

https://media.kaspersky.com/utilities/ConsumerUtilities/kavremvr.exe

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hello, thanks for the response. I have all ready used the Kavre uninstaller from Kaspersky. Other ideas?

• Flexx
    Flexx mod
    edited September 9

Well, you can give it a try, but it will be a little lengthy. Kindly check if the steps stated below help.

1) Restart your PC in safe mode. You can follow this guide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

2) Open the Run command and execute the following commands one by one:

temp – delete all the files in the folder.

%temp% – delete all the files in the folder.

prefetch – delete all the files in the folder.

3) Run Disk Cleanup using this guide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/disk-cleanup-in-windows-8a96ff42-5751-39ad-23d6-434b4d5b9a68

4) Reset the Windows host file to default. You can find instructions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-reset-the-hosts-file-back-to-the-default-c2a43f9d-e176-c6f3-e4ef-3500277a6dae

5) Assuming your Windows drive is 'C,' open the following locations in the 'Run' command (Windows icon + R) one by one:

C:\Program Files (delete any folder with the name kaspersky)

C:\Program Files (x86) (delete any folder with the name kaspersky)

C:\ProgramData (delete any folder with the name kaspersky)

C:\Users {your PC name}\AppData\Local (delete any folder with the name kaspersky)

6) Open the registry editor through the 'Run' command (Windows icon + R) and then type 'regedit.' Once the registry editor opens, click on 'Edit' -> 'Find,' and make sure to checkmark 'Match whole strings only.' Type 'kaspersky' in the search box and click 'Find Next.' If any file or folder with the name 'kaspersky' is found, delete it. Continue searching the registry and deleting until the search reports no registry keys found.

7) Restart your PC in normal mode by deselecting the option you selected while running the system in Safe Mode, then click 'Apply.'

If the issue persists, kindly contact Bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help

Select, How to's & Troubleshooting Bitdefender productsTroubleshootingI don't knowContact Support→ You will get the option of chatcall or email.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited September 9

Hello @VICTORIA24 and welcome to Bitdefender and the community.

I think this is a task for the Support teams and from what I understand, you do have an open ticket with them.
    They will know where to look and what to advise next. Usually, the relevant uninstall tool fixes this behavior, however, in this case it seems that the situation needs to be investigated more thoroughly..

Let us know how it goes.

Regards