Updates Taking a Very Long Time to Complete

In the last couple of days updates to Total Security 2024 are taking a long time. It's been stuck on 0% for several minutes now. Update took about 15 minutes to finish yesterday.

There is nothing wrong with my internet connection and prior to two days ago updates were fast.

Comments

• @camarie will it be possible to solve/optimize the update process and times?
    It takes time and PC resources.
    Thanks. 😊

Nunzio ·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

• @camarie Thanks for the info and valuable support! 😉

Nunzio ·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good evening to everyone,

I have the same problem since updating to the latest version.

Regards,

Windows 11 Famille 23H2

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.70 GHz

Bitdefender Premium Security Plus

• Yip same here.

• Timothy M.
    edited September 7

Halle-freaking-lujah it's not just me and I'm not crazy! I am also suffering from this issue after the most recent version update.

Not only that but I've noticed another recent issue pertaining to updates.

After leaving game mode/profile (in this case 4 hours of playtime), when I check for an update after turning it off, it tells me I'm up to date, whereas before the most recent version update, if that much time had past I would get a definition update. Maybe nothing is broken in this regard, but I'm suspicious.

This recent version update broke something, and it's kind of frustrating that I've come to somewhat fear version updates because it seems like the past couple have broken something too.

• Teksonik
    Teksonik ✭✭✭

Yes this issue has only occurred in recent days although many years ago it was present as well but was eventually fixed.

I just ran a speed test and my download rate on this system is about 400 Mbps which is 47 megabytes per second so the issue in not on this end.

This morning's update took over 6 minutes with a significant portion of that time stuck on zero. Before this recent issue updates were much faster with more time stuck on 80%.

• Timothy M.
    edited September 7

Alright, follow-up/update from me. I think the issue is related to the update check.

After I made my post yesterday and logged off, I went and checked for an update and lo and behold, I got one despite minutes earlier BitDefender telling me I was up to date.

The "Checking for Update…" hung for a good five minutes before the update began to download and install. However, once the actual update download/installation began, it went along at the normal speed that it did before this whole issue started. (Finished in under 30 seconds) It seems like it's only the update check that's having issues for whatever reason(s) though I personally can't say for certain. (This behavior repeated itself today as well, and will presumably repeat until the issue is fixed.)

I also want to stress that the problem isn't with my Internet. I did a speed test just last night as I was dealing with this, and I had almost a full GB/s. (I also run my desktop with a wired connection.)

Also also, when I first experienced this I did two reinstalls of Bitdefender, once with the repair utility, and the second time was a clean reinstall, but the issue continued to persist.

• I’m experiencing issues after updating to version 27.0.41.194. As a paid user with premium security, I’m very disappointed. Every year, there seems to be a bug that requires waiting around a month to fix. I won’t be renewing my license this time, it feels like a waste of money. I’m changed to Kaspersky after this bug.

I’m a user from Malaysia. When I first downloaded Bitdefender, the speed was around 90+ Mbps. However, after the latest update, the update speed has significantly decreased and is now very slow.

• Teksonik
    Teksonik ✭✭✭

So this morning's manual update (because BDTS still will not auto update itself on boot up) took six minutes with five of those stuck on 0%.

Once the connection was "found" the update proceeded at a rate one would expect. So I agree with what Timothy M wrote above, it seems to be a problem initiating the update and it appears to be a problem on the BD side. I'd wager a guess that a bug was introduced in a BDTS update from several days ago.

For the record I'm still on Windows 10. Is anyone experiencing this issue on Win 11?

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning,

I have the same problem on Windows 11.

Regards,

Windows 11 Famille 23H2

• As the OP and others have stated, until the recent upgrade, updates were running fine once the issues around VPN were finally fixed from the previous update. As another poster noted, version updates appear to break things more than enhance the product. Are Bitdefender developers thoroughly testing all the updates and the interaction with the various modules or are the Bitdefender users being used to troubleshoot the program?

Recent updates have caused firewall module activation issues, update issues, VPN issues, scan on startup issues, etc., and this trend appears to be 'business as usual'. If it is 'a complex thing' then perhaps leave it alone so users can have a stable product or go back to the beginning create less spaghetti coding.

• Just chiming in to mention that I am also on Windows 10, and on Bitdefender Total Security version 27.0.41.194 (Latest version as of typing). It also seems like automatic updates are initializing just fine, the hang-up for the update check only seems to be happening when you do it manually.

I'll also take the opportunity to tag @Alexandru_BD and @camarie just to make absolutely sure that BitDefender staff are seeing this thread and the more recent updates from people.

It's unfortunate that we didn't report this issue until right before the weekend, sorry guys!

• camarie
    camarie BD Staff

Tag noticed and I already notified the team about this, if they were not already aware (I'm on vacation now so I am just sending emails to them). I am not working on the update modules so I cannot say what can be at a glance, but I forwarded to my colleagues who are more in touch with this thatn me. As soon as I have news I will update.

• IMHO It looks like the problem may be down to a Update Server connection issue as once it eventually connects it updates as normal.

• Hello everyone,

They are taking care of this as we speak, thank you for your feedback, patience and understanding. 👍️

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Still not fixed. Another update today stuck at 0% for several minutes.

• The fix is currently on testing and will probably appear in the next update.

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @camarie

Thank you for your clarification.🙏

Regards,

Windows 11 Famille 23H2

• I also have this amazingly long updating which has gon on through two version updates now. I'm on 27.0.41.197

• el_raberto
    edited September 16

I always manually update BitDefender at every boot up and I have had this issue too with builds 27.0.41.194, 27.0.41.197 then also, after what turned out to be a pointless reinstall, build 27.0.41.198 as well. For years updating only used to take a minute or so but now it sits at 0% for 7 minutes before sprinting to 100%!

• As I said previously, the fix was tested and merged into the upcoming release.

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @camarie

Thank you for your additional information.🙏

Regards,

Windows 11 Famille 23H2

• I simply bring it up because as of three days later the issue still persists. It's a follow up to my original bug report.

• Understood. The next week the fix should be on update.

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good evening @camarie

Thank you for sharing the information.🙏

Regards,

Windows 11 Famille 23H2

• Fingers crossed, the "FIX" works this time. I am tired of watching the Update sit on 0 for over 5 minutes every time.

• Teksonik
    Teksonik ✭✭✭
    edited September 18

This bug still exists. If the fix has been found and tested then release the update.

Update has been stuck on 0% for over four minutes, 12 days after the bug was first reported.

If we can't trust you to fix bugs in a timely manner should we trust your software to protect us from malware?

This will definitely affect my decision when it comes time to renew my license.

• dvsls
    dvsls BD Staff

✔️ 27.0.41.201version is available now and it will deployed to all users by the end of this week.

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19

Hello everyone,

Therefore, I consider that for me the latest version 27.0.41.201 has solved the problem.
    Thanks to those who worked on this issue.🙏

Regards,

Windows 11 Famille 23H2

• NOPE: I just did a manual update and, again, it took over 5 minutes to get off 0% and start downloading, as usual. So lets wait and see if the NEW FIX will work this time, after Friday, or Sunday?

27.0.41.201 version is available now and it will deployed to all users by the end of this week.

Fingers crossed 🤞

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 ✭✭✭✭✭

@deeleecan2

I fully understand your point of view but I can confirm that in my case the new version seems to have fixed the problem on my computer.
    I hope that the same will be true for other members of this community.

Regards,

Windows 11 Famille 23H2

• I have Bitdefender Home Plus updated to version 27.0.41.201.
    I tried to manually perform an update and it took about 39 seconds always remaining at 0% and at the end of 39 seconds it marked 100%

Nunzio ·

• That's nice. Consider yourself lucky. The rest of us have bought and paid for a version of Bitdefender that takes forever to update. They claim they have a "FIX" to solve OUR problem, by the end of the week.

• New here, hanging at 80% for over a hour now.

• Oh, Oh, That's different from our problem. Sounds like you need to force a re-boot, and maybe a re-install of Bitdefender. Good Luck. PS: I always do a disk clean-up before the re-boot when I get a hang-up like yours.

• Nope , same here stuck at 80% for about one hour…..

• dvsls
    dvsls BD Staff

The fix is included in the 27.0.41.201 update and is installed after the 80% configuration step. The fix will take effect with the next update (signatures or product).

• dvsls
    dvsls BD Staff

The fix is included in the 27.0.41.201 update and is installed after the 80% configuration step. The fix will take effect with the next update (signatures or product).

@deeleecan2 this happened after updating to version 201?

"NOPE: I just did a manual update and, again, it took over 5 minutes to get off 0% and start downloading, as usual."

• Update did finish here (indeed after a very long time) and demanded a restart installing latest version 201. Tested the manual update process and can confirm the problem is resolved on all machines here….thx for that :-)

• Flexx
    Flexx mod
    edited September 20

I thought you had the free version, but I was confused between oranges and strawberries. So you like strawberries now? It seems like you paid for strawberries, lol. Nice to hear that! 😂

That being said, for me, updates used to get stuck between 80-85%, but ultimately, within 5-10 minutes, the signatures and product updates would complete. I never faced any issues.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• LOL, actually, since I was 5 in Fall River, Nova Scotia, in 1959, I have only loved blueberries. I paid for Bitdefender Internet Security for 3 machines. It looks like the update I got this morning actually fixed our problem, but it took a long time to download = what else is new? But manual updates are now fast = yippee!

• I am happy to report that the issue has been solved here. This morning's manual update was back to as fast as it was before this bug. The issue took a while to get resolved but it is fixed now so that's all that matters.

• RedsFan
    RedsFan ✭✭✭
    edited September 21

Are you guys updated every hour or two ??

Because last time i used BD free ( a few weeks ago) sometimes after 7 hours a signature update, i don't think this is normal !?

• Signature and engine updates occurs as necessary, and although I don't know for sure how often, it can happen to be published on update servers quite often. Product updates are released more slower, for sure not 1-2 hours, except when an emergency update needs to be released.

• Had the update and bit better, 2nd manual update stuck on 1% for about 2 minuites then jumped to 100%

• Back to square one- Bitdefender update stuck at 84% for more than 1 hr….

• Hi @Xorbit,

I would recommend to get in touch with Support on this one, especially if the update is not progressing. They can help you out with this.

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

State your contact reason / choose request category, then choose from the available contact channels, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to reach them.

Let us know how it goes and what the workaround was.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Hi@Alexandru_BD

after cancelation and manual updating again, it quickly went to 100% and all seems back to normal.

Regards