Risk alert does not make sense relating to supposed app install.

I have Bitdefender for Android installed and for the past two days the dashboard has alerted me to an app that has supposedly been installed that represents a risk. However, I have not installed any apps in that period. I run the scan and when it finishes it says it needs to scan again. Once the scans are completed it says no issues found and that my device is safe.

I am concerned because it has done this twice in two days and I am wondering what it believes has been installed.

Answers

• Yeah i have the exact same problem as you do.

It is happenning since the latest update.

Nothing has been installed.

• same issue here. alert pops up over night. after a scan bd indicates the device as safe.

• agozob
    agozob BD Staff

Hello!

Could you please provide more information about the issue you're experiencing?

What is the exact version of the Bitdefender app and what device and OS are you using? Screenshots of the issue (notification, dashboard) would be very helpful for determining what is exactly happening.

• I am using Bitdefender Mobile Security 3.3.247.2457

Android Version 14 on a Pixel 7

• I'm using a pixel 7 pro and android 14 as well. I reinstalled the app and for now it seems that the pop up won't show up again.

• I am also seeing this issue on Pixel 7, Android 14 with the August Security patch and Bitdefender Mobile Security 3.3.247.2457.

• I have the same issue with Pixel 6a using Android 14 and Bitdefender version 3.3.247.2457

• pixel 6. android 14. bd Version 3.3.248.2458

• Hello,

Quick update on this, as I've seen new threads here:

And here:

Now I can confirm that this is indeed an issue and the behavior is currently being investigated by the BMS developers.

Thank you for your patience and feedback.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Same here (as also mentioned in the other thread) with version 3.3.248.2458 on Android 14 on Pixel 8 Pro.

• KTE
    KTE
    edited September 18

Is this issue specific to Pixel mobiles?

I am also getting the same malware alerts for the past few days, stating I have just installed a new app and divice could be at risk.

This is a real cause for concern, as I am not sure if it is a false alert or software bug.

• I'm on a Pixel 8a and getting the same alert over the past few days on a regular basis. The error message would be much more helpful if it said what the offending app (or apps) is.

• I have been having the same problem for over a week, having to manually run a scan everyday, which always comes back clean. I've been using bitdefender for 5 years without any issues until now. I have a pixel 6 and am running version 3.3.248.2460.

• Uta
    Uta
    edited September 22

Habe das gleiche Problem, 6 pro, Android 14 . und bitfender 3.1.10.127

Das nervt so sehr, dass ich den bitdefinder am liebsten runterschmeißen würde

• It does look like it's oddly specific to pixel devices, which begs the question ❓ did Google chance something with their September update?

• Sorry to take up space, but I jumped over from another thread which sent me here and I'm posting so I get updates.

• As above poster, coming here from another thread. Am on Pixel 9 and getting this issue since I converted from Pixel 8 a few weeks ago.

• Also... Agreed.. non sensical notification of "omg your new app you installed needs to be scanned" yet.. doesn't tell you which one?? :/

• Christian4564
    edited September 23

I also have the same error and nothing new recently installed.

Version 3.3.248.2461 on a Pixel 8 Pro.

I deleted and reinstalled the application from Play Store but problem persists.

If no solution, in a few weeks, I am up for subscription renewal and will jump ship,

as I need something reliable. Mobile Security is too important to risk.

• Good morning,

I have the same issue on my pixel 8. Every night , i have an alert of potentially unwanted application installed, but i have Never installed a New application.

• I would see this notification every morning, bit since a couple of days it's gone. Maybe it's solved?

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited September 23

Hello,

Judging by the latest reports, this appears to be an issue which manifests itself mainly on Pixel phones, however, I cannot confirm 100% at this stage. Nevertheless, I appreciate everyone's feedback here, we are following the thread and the developers are comparing the information with the inquiries received by the Support teams as well, and they are pushing for a resolution. We are keeping this thread as the main one.

Thank you all for your patience.

• Please do not imply that it is our fault because "this appears to be an issue which manifests itself mainly on Pixel phones". We are not buying new phones, but new security software is an option. If this was a few days old issue I would not have commented at all, but since it's been a year, then we start to lose confidence.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited September 23

I wasn't pointing the finger at anyone. For what it's worth, Pixel phones are good as any phones. It was just an observation regarding a pattern that emerges from the information we have so far.
    How did you come to the conclusion that "it's been a year" since the issue manifested itself? Because this is not true. Any resemblance to a previous problem is purely coincidental, because it doesn't take that long for such bugs to be spotted and addressed by the application development teams. Now, it can be that an issue resurfaces with an update, be it OS update or BMS update, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't addressed at the time it was discovered. There are no outstanding issues that have manifested for such a long period of time.

Thanks

• We are keeping this thread as the main one.

What is being reported 'now' in this thread seems identical to anecdotal reports that resulted in last years (starting October 2023) lengthy thread. And yet the last post in that one @Alexandru_BD wrote since this is an older thread unrelated to the current issue.

Is the distinguishing feature this time is that it is only occurring with Pixel phones?

• I don't think it's necessarily only on pixel phones, I think it is related to latest security patches and pixels are getting those faster than others. I have my pixel from August and I only noticed this bug in September, and I remember there was a big patch of updates in September, that could have caused whatever it is that reverted the fix from 1 year ago

• Es ist ja toll, dass an diesem Problem gearbeitet wird, nur das Problem gibt es fast einen Monat und nichts passiert. Wann gibt es endlich Resultate?

• I have the same issue. Pixel 5a. This has been happening for two weeks everyday. The only app I installed recently was SoundHound.

• Pulling a "ditto" - my wife's Pixel 7 is getting hit with this now. The one thing that seems to be frequent about its occurrence on her phone is it pops up when she's put it on the charger. Coincidence? Maybe, but that's the pattern for her device.

• I can confirm that my issue on Pixel 8 Pro is still current, just receiving another just now.

• wards242
    wards242
    edited September 24

I have the same problem on Redmi Note 12 Pro 4G using LineageOS 21. Updated last night to Android 14 September patch and no change.Might be of interest to the developers the phone looks like a Pixel 9 Pro for Google One backup.

• Marius@1412
    edited September 24

Another observation I made just now. The scan counter was sitting at 114 scans, I checked for apps updates and got about 15, clicked update and noticed each was scanned after/during install which is normal but later I also got the notification to manually scan the newly installed app, which there is none, I scanned manually too and now the scans counter sits at 116. So I think the scan is happening twice but for some reason the automatic one gets discarded and a manual one is promoted. Hope this helps narrowing down the behavior.

• VacationLover
    edited September 25

I can add two Pixel 5's with Android 14 to the list of victims.

But it isn't affecting our Samsung Galaxy Tab A7's with Android 14.

• Imagine Google installs something on your Android 14 twice a day, and Bitdefender... :P

Fix this... please!

• Hi,

We are waiting for news later today. Yesterday, the app developers were still working on a fix.

• Coming over from the old thread. This problem has been going on for at least 10 days now, are we closer to a solution?

I find it disconcerting that this problem looks the same as the old problem from earlier this year, at least from the outside. I hope it can be put to bed for good this time.

• Same here on Pixel 7a

• Hi,

A fix for this BMS behavior is still undergoing development. I do not have an estimated time for the release of the fix yet, but I will update this thread as soon as it's implemented by an automatic update of Bitdefender. Please keep in mind that all reported bugs require investigation time. Since product updates are usually released once a month, in some cases it may take even close to one month until a fix is implemented in the product - this does not include the debugging period, which may be long or short, depending on the complexity of the problem they are facing.
    Of course, a 'hotfix' for a major issue can be released earlier, once it's found.

It's like I've said for the other issue concerning the App Lock feature on Mobile Security for Android.

Testing an app, feature or fix across the multitude of Android devices and configurations poses a significant challenge for the developers, as you can imagine. There are so many different Android devices, each with unique screen sizes, resolutions, processors, RAM, storage, sensors, and more. This hardware diversity makes it difficult to ensure that a feature performs well on ALL devices ALL of the time, so as a developer you need to make sure of that. Otherwise, any problem you think you've fixed now may resurface later on and this is exactly what they wish to avoid.

Also, I think we must take into account that although Google releases new versions of Android regularly, not all devices receive updates at the same pace. This leads to a variety of OS versions in use, and developers must ensure compatibility across older and newer versions. Many Android device manufacturers (e.g., Samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei) customize the Android OS with their own user interfaces, features, and optimizations. These custom ROMs can introduce variations in how apps/features behave, adding to the complexity of testing.

And the list goes on, really. Now, I'm not making any excuses, nor pointing a finger elsewhere, but I wanted to show you the bigger picture. This will be fixed asap.

Thank you all for your patience.

• You do realise the same problem has been reported for at least a year in different threads that inexplicably become closed

• Same issue. Pixel 8a android 14

• Same issue on Pixel 6a….it's becoming very irritating !

• I am finding this very bizarre! Posted the above 5 days ago and since then I have not had the notification, thought it has been fixed, looked at my mobile this morning and it's back again?

• Same ' error' occurs on my brand new Google Pixel 9. Bitdefender is installed on other devices without this error.

• Getting these daily now, especially when in the morning when I wake up. Phone is a Pixel 7 Pro

• +2

My Pixel 7 Pro

My wife's Pixel 7

Both running version 3.3.248.2461

• J_S
    J_S
    edited September 28

Same issue on my Samsung S10e running Android version 12.

• Same issue here.

Also a Pixel 8 Pro, Android version 14, Security update September 5, 2024

Bitdefender version 3.3.248.2461

I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but for me the issue resurfaced again around the tme of the most recent Android security update.

• Same problem, Pixel 8a running Android 14.

Been happening from around the time of the last Security Update.

• It is not just a Pixel.

I have the original Samsung Galaxy Fold and this problem started around mid September