Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Deep System Scan - Error

Options

Deep System scan will never complete. I always receive the attached error message and then my hard drive starts working like crazy and there is massive slowdown unless I restart. I am able to run all the other scans normally. This has happened each time i ran the deep system scan. please help.

post-26666-1282604090_thumb.jpg

Comments

• stevenomes
    edited August 2010
    Options

yep it ######

• gordow
    Options
    yep it ######

This problem has been happening with my BDTS 2011 during deep scans as well ,, i wondered why it showed never completed.

Gord

• dmayo
    Options

I get the message, too, but my experience afterward is a little different.

Note that I start the scan before going to bed and check it in the morning. The indicator of time remaining shows many hours to go, but then it's not a very reliable indicator at any time. I dismiss the error alert by clicking OK. Hard disk access is indeed furious, but in a minute or so the scanning process window reappears. All the values are zero or empty, and the remaining-time indicator displays a "calculating..." message. After giving up on seeing any change in this, I cancel out of the scan. Then the main BD window shows the deep scan completed (not failed). If I look at the logs overview, I find that the scan "completed successfully" at the time I closed it. The log may show a remaining infection, as it did the first time I ran deep scan with BD IS 2011, or it may show a clean result, as it did the second time. The total number of files scanned looks about right for a completed scan -- I think; don't really know what it should be, but it's huge. Having done the above, I don't have to restart to make HD access stop.

I wonder if the scan might be running to completion but failing at the point of displaying the result. Either way, we need a solution.

• yeah this is pretty annoying. i mean i have used BD for a while and the scans have always worked without problem, it was always other issues the brought BD down. Ever since installing BTDS 2011 i have not been able to complete full scan. it even finds 1 issue but cannot resolve it because the scan failed. I have to restart HD will be at furious pace for a long time

• please help
    Hi stevenomes ,
    Please , post here a HJT Log , thanks .
    Kind regards
  • Deep System scan will never complete. I always receive the attached error message and then my hard drive starts working like crazy and there is massive slowdown unless I restart. I am able to run all the other scans normally. This has happened each time i ran the deep system scan. please help.

post-26666-1282604090_thumb.jpg

• Unknown
    edited August 2010
    Options

Hello everybody,

stevenomes: ticket ID: 201008261012473

gordow: ticket ID: 201008011004745

debitto: ticket ID: 201008261012671

wilbur: ticket ID: 201008251011849

The issue you encounter was escalated to the testing team. I will kindly ask you to follow the steps sent to each of you in the emails associated with your forum accounts.

Looking forward to your answer!

Kind regards,

• Daniel and All,

For me, this problem seems to have been solved. There was a 10MB product update requiring a reboot yesterday, and after that the Deep System Scan ran to completion without generating an error. Apparently BD resolved the issue.

Regards,

Debitto

• Both of my PCs running BDAV Pro 2011 ran Deep System Scans today, start to finish, no problems or hangs.

• I must reopen this topic to report the following:

* I was mistaken in guessing that the problem had been solved by a product update. After installing BD IS 2011 on a third machine, I found that the error message appeared as reported above, although I had installed from the latest download, which updated itself during installation and was updated again by me. I have also tried the solution to an unrelated problem (see "Disabling Real-time Antivirus Protection") thinking it might have been the unexpected solution to this problem as well, but it made no difference. I had also done all the things recommended by BD Tech Support before: running the Norton Removal Tool, etc.

* As I reported to BD Tech Support by PM in the earlier case, the error pops up about one hour after the "completed successfully" screen appears. After dismissing it, everything that remains (scan log, "completed" display, etc.) shows a successful scan. That means that users who close the Scan Status screen within an hour after the scan completes will never have reason to think there was any trouble with it. I'm assuming the error won't pop up in that case.

* Now, as far as I can tell, I have two computers on which the problem has "gone away" and one on which it persists in spite of everything. That's a ThinkPad X31 notebook PC running Windows XP SP3, which makes it similar to one of the two cured(?) systems but very different from the other, which is an Acer Aspire desktop PC running Windows 7.

stevenomes and others, are you still having this problem?

Regards,

Debitto

• Hi,

Are you able to update to the latest build on the computer having the issue ? Can you reproduce the steps exactly until the notification occur and post a screenshot with it ?

Thanks !

• Hi,

Are you able to update to the latest build on the computer having the issue ? Can you reproduce the steps exactly until the notification occur and post a screenshot with it ?

Thanks !

Hi Daniel,

I can update the product at will and am seeing large updates almost every day. I updated just before running the unsuccessful scan reported below. Of course, I'm referring to BD's updater; I don't mean I've downloaded and installed a newer distribution package. For details on the installation, please refer to my post above.

This time, I had a real crash. It didn't even leave a scan log behind. In addition to the error alert that we've been discussing, I got a critical error alert and submitted the crash report that was generated with it. I added a comment associating it with me, you, and this topic.

Here is the screenshot you requested, with the alerts arranged to show as much information as possible. I started the scan before going to bed and saw this result in the morning.

Regards,

Debitto

post-14623-1284254493_thumb.jpg

• Unknown
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Debitto,

I would like to investigate deeper into the issue. Please check your email and provide me with the requested information. Your ticket ID is: 201008261012671.

Thank you!

Regards,

• Hi Debitto,

I would like to investigate deeper into the issue. Please check your email and provide me with the requested information. Your ticket ID is: 201008261012671.

Thank you!

Regards,

Hi Daniel,

Have you seen my replies to your PM? I've sent two.

Regards,

Debitto

• I think Daniel worked over the weekend and is now having his days off. Just an educated guess. :)

• I think Daniel worked over the weekend and is now having his days off. Just an educated guess. :)

If so, I imagine someone would be covering his tickets. I was asked to prepare my computer to receive remote maintenance and let BD know when I would like to have it done.

• Hello,

Indeed Monday was my day off :) and no, I am alone working on the tickets I have assigned under my name.

@Debitto: I have sent you an answer on the ticket ID 201008261012671. Running the session as we speak.

Topic closed as the issue is resolved.

Regards,

This discussion has been closed.