Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Disabling Real-time Antivirus Protection

Options

I recently upgraded to BD Internet Security 2011 and now find that I can't temporarily disable real-time antivirus protection. When I uncheck the box on the Antivirus/Shield tab of the control panel, I get the usual prompt to choose a length of duration, but after doing so and clicking OK, I find that the check has reappeared and the message still reads, "Real-time protection is enabled."

OS: Windows XP SP3. The problem did not occur in earlier versions of BD IS (2009, 2010).

Comments

• Unknown
    edited August 2010
    Options

Hello,

Please switch BitDefender to Expert View from the Options button. Go to Antivirus tab and try to disable the Real Time Protection. When asked set it to Disabled Permanently and check if the issue still occur.

Looking forward to your answer!

• dmayo
    Options
    Hello,

Please switch BitDefender to Expert View from the Options button. Go to Antivirus tab and try to disable the Real Time Protection. When asked set it to re-enable Permanently and check if the issue still occur.

Looking forward to your answer!

Daniel,

Thanks for the quick response.

The problem does persist. When you say re-enable Permanently, I assume you mean disable Permanently. I've tried that and all the other options in the combo box, with the same result.

I'll assume that future instructions from you refer to Expert View, which I am using.

Thanks,

Debitto

• Hello,

I have checked the logs you provided me with and found few issues with it. First of all you have files, Windows registry entries and start-up entries found from a previous installation of a Symantec product. Furthermore I would also recommend you to uninstall Tune-up Utilities from your computer. Also I would kindly ask you to have Folder Guard disabled at the installation of BitDefender.

Last but not least please uninstall Lenovo Client Security Solution. Restart the PC after each uninstall !

When all of the above are completed run a Windows registry clean-up and clean your computer from any orphan files still stored on your computer. I would recommend you CCleaner or Argente

The full installation kit for BitDefender Internet Security 2011 can be found at:

32bits:

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...ty_2011_32b.exe

64bits:

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...ty_2011_64b.exe

Important: to remove all traces of the Symantec product you had install you need to use the specific uninstall tool they provide. You can find more details about this in THIS article.

Please let me know if the issue still persist.

Regards,

• dmayo
    edited August 2010
    Options

Daniel,

Thanks. I'm a little confused, so please let me check something with you before proceeding.

The logs I provided are for a different issue, Deep System Scan Crash. You've replied to that ticket, but the e-mail link to your reply takes me to this thread which I started yesterday, Disabling Real-time Antivirus Protection.

Is your solution for the deep-scan problem, or this problem, or both?

Regards,

Debitto

• The steps are as follows:

- resolve the Disabled Real Time Protection issue

- it should also resolve the scanning issue

The link you found in your ticket was added when I first created your ticket however, considering the logs results I do believe that cleaning your computer from the previous installation of Norton along with all the above steps will correct both issues.

Yours,

• dmayo
    Options

Daniel,

Here is my report after doing as you instructed; specifically, the following:

* Ran the latest Norton Removal Tool successfully

* Restarted, uninstalled TuneUp Utilities 2010

* Restarted, uninstalled Lenovo Client Security Solution

* Restarted, did a registry clean-up with CCleaner

* Restarted, uninstalled BD IS 2011

* Restarted, did another registry clean-up with CCleaner (BD had left a lot of entries behind)

* Restarted, disabled Folder Guard, re-installed BD IS 2011 successfully with the 32-bit full installation kit

Unfortunately, the inability to disable Real-time Antivirus Protection persists. Here is some new information about that, which I had not connected with the problem before: When I select a duration to disable antivirus protection and click OK, not only does the check reappear, but the Protection Level setting changes from Default to Custom with "Don't scan e-mail messages" and "Don't scan web (HTML) traffic." This was happening before, but I only noticed it once and thought it was something I had accidentally done myself. Now I see that it happens the moment I click OK in the disabling prompt.

Could this be an interface problem? It seems that the mouse click is registering with the Custom button on the dashboard, although I can't imagine why it would also uncheck e-mail and web traffic scanning.

I haven't had a chance to check the Deep System Scan issue; will do that during the night (Japan time).

For the information of others: The above process takes hours, and even a careful registry clean-up with a good program is liable to cause issues with other installed applications, which may need to have their product keys entered again. This time, it only caused MS Office to display a "configuring..." alert the first time it was run.

• dmayo
    edited August 2010
    Options
    the Protection Level setting changes from Default to Custom with "Don't scan e-mail messages," "Don't scan web (HTML) traffic," and "Don't scan IM traffic."

I should add that it also shows "Don't scan IM traffic."

Debitto

• dmayo
    Options

I've found that the same problem (can't disable real-time AV protection) occurs on a second machine. It's a new PC bought two weeks ago with Windows 7 pre-installed, and BD IS 2011 is one of the few things I've installed on it. It's therefore an extremely clean system. The problem is exactly the same as described above, including the switching of the Protection Level.

By the way, there is no such problem when disabling other features such as antispam protection.

• Hi Debitto,

You have mentioned that the OS was pre-installed on the second system. Based on my experience I would say that most of the pre-installed systems are delivered with an antivirus / security solution installed on it. I would kindly ask you to run and generate the logs on both systems to check and see all the drivers / files used that can cause this issue.

I have sent you an email on how to continue troubleshooting on this issue. Please send me the requested info. Thank you!

• Hi Daniel,

I think you're referring to possible causes of the Deep System Scan error, which we've corresponded about elsewhere in the meantime. However, I will note that the new computer came with an option to try an antivirus product, but I rejected the option without initializing the product and immediately installed BitDefender.

As for the subject of this thread, the problem with Disabling Real-time Antivirus Protection, I'll decline to get into the suggested troubleshooting for these reasons:

* The problem apparently concerns the UI, and not any activity such as scanning that seems likely to conflict with other security products. Also, it is limited to one part of the UI.

* Since running the support tool on my ThinkPad and sending you the results, I haven't added anything to that system; so the possibility of learning something new by repeating the process seems very slight.

* The problem occurs on a second system that differs from the first in almost every way, including the number of applications and data files, and it's independent of the type of pointing device being used (it also occurs if I navigate with the keyboard); so I think it's appropriate to ask you to inspect your code for a relevant flaw, instead of searching for the cause at my end. I realize you must not be seeing the problem on your test systems, but I think that working back theoretically from the reported phenomenon to the possible causes should be the first step in a case like this. Then if you would like my cooperation in testing a specific idea, I'll be glad to cooperate.

Regards,

Debitto

• Hi Debitto,

I need certain logs and dump files created on your PC, logs that must be analyzed as I was not able to reproduce the issue on three different test machines.

Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump, put all files from there in an archive, upload the archive on a file sharing server of your choice (such as www.sendspace.com) and send me the download link by PM.

Also please replace the file vshield.xml from:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\Settings with the one from:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\Ini\Default

Note: you need to make the changes (overwrite) in Windows Safe Mode.

Please let me know if the issue is resolved after following the steps above.

Regards,

• Hi Daniel,

I followed your instructions on my ThinkPad, and I think I can say that the problem has been solved by replacing vshield.xml. I'm not sure the behavior I see now is exactly what I was used to with earlier versions of BD, but it seems reasonable. What I see is this:

After I select a duration option and click OK, the checkbox (which I have just cleared in opening the duration prompt) flashes a check for an instant, but it disappears again. The Protection Level then switches to CUSTOM with the following items changed to "Don't...":

* scan files

* scan e-mail messages

* scan web traffic

* scan IM traffic

I don't remember seeing this switch in the Protection Level with earlier versions, but I wasn't really paying attention.

When I check the box again, the Protection Level switches back to DEFAULT or to my own CUSTOM setting, if that is what I am using.

I'm also sending you that link to the contents of my Minidump directory by PM. If I can't solve the problem in the same way on the Windows 7 machine, I'll follow up.

Regards,

Debitto

• debitto - I read where you said "ThinkPad" but you didn't mention a specific model. I have a new T410 running Win7 x64 (complete config in my signature) and so far (knock on wood) have had no conflicts with BDAV Pro 2011 running on my lenovo laptop with all of the extra lenovo factory software (but not any a/v software).

I disabled real time protection to see what results I got. Here is a screenshot:

post-35640-1283611024_thumb.jpg

If I read your post correctly, I saw the same result as you. I was able to disable real time protection (I picked 5 minutes) and saw the same changes in scan settings. After 5 minutes, real time protection re-enabled itself.

Hope your issue has been resolved,

Gary

• Gary,

Thanks for your information.

I neglected to mention the model of ThinkPad because Daniel of BD Support got that in the background of this discussion. It's model X-61, running WinXP SP3 and all the ThinkPad/Lenovo programs except, now, Client Security Solution, which Daniel recommended removing for the sake of solving a different problem (please refer to the thread Deep System Scan - Error, started on August 24 by another user).

I see in your screenshot that you have disabled Search Advisor while keeping the Antiphishing items. I've actually done the reverse and am wondering if I might as well disable Search Advisor as well. May I ask your reason for doing that, and also whether you see a compelling reason to use Antiphishing? Since I don't click dubious links, I've come to think of Antiphishing as an unnecessary drag. However, I don't mean to sell others on that attitude, and I'm willing to reconsider it myself.

Regards,

Debitto

• I see in your screenshot that you have disabled Search Advisor while keeping the Antiphishing items. I've actually done the reverse and am wondering if I might as well disable Search Advisor as well. May I ask your reason for doing that, and also whether you see a compelling reason to use Antiphishing? Since I don't click dubious links, I've come to think of Antiphishing as an unnecessary drag. However, I don't mean to sell others on that attitude, and I'm willing to reconsider it myself.

Regards,

Debitto

I and a few other users, discussed this in a little more detail in this topic:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=20968

I wanted the Phishing protection, but didn't feel that I needed it at the search result level. Its a personal choice.

Regards,

Gary