Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Application Configuration Incorrect

Options

Last night I updated my Windows and after that I am unable to run Bitdefender. Whenever I try to execute Bitdefender following error message shown

C:\ProgramFiles\BitDefender\BitDefender2011\bdagent.exe

The application has failed to start because application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.

What I did

1) Uninstall Bitdefender with its Uninstall Tool

2) Manually trace Bitdefender entries in Registry and the drive where it was installed and delete them.

3) Download fresh setup from the recommended links.

4) Re-Install Bitdefender

But even the fresh installation didn't fix the issue. The tray icon don't appear and there supposed to be a missing service too. Snapshots are attached.

Product: Bitdefender Total Security 2011.

A quick reply will be appreciated as my Laptop bits are no longer secured.

post-31288-1285394851_thumb.jpg

post-31288-1285394864_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Hello,

Please post what Windows updates you installed last time. You can find this info in the Update history (from Windows Update) or fro Add Remove Programs.

Cris.

• coolcool1227
    Options

Hi Cris

I somehow able to fix the subject issue. I restore my Laptop to the point before update were installed, and then I first upgrade Internet Explorer to Ver8 and performed the same steps I mentioned in my previous post and then again performed Windows Updates, and after that, the Bitdefender is working fine. Kindly check below link of the snapshots of updates from Add/Remove programs before and after updating Windows.

http://depositfiles.com/files/96fpsp9ae

I suspect that there was the conflict between Bitdefender and .Net Framework Version, which however resolved now(how???),but I'm not sure how the issue is fixed.

Waiting for your assessment however.

• As far as I can see from your screenshots, the ”initial” state of your system contained no Windows updates whatesoever. There seem to be just a few updates for IE8, and some updates for MS Office, but no Windows XP Updates.

And, basically, all Windows updates which appear in the ”Updated” screenshots were installed today (9/26/2010), which is a little peculiar, since you posted this topic yesterday (so you kinda posted this topic before you actually installed the updates). However, ignoring this kinda weird and (possibly) insignificant detail, let's move on...

Since the screenshots state that you installed all Windows updates at once, is kinda too hard for me (or anyone else) to start testing all updates to see which of them could cause the problem you described. But since most of the updates were actually released long before today, and nobody complained about them (that I am aware of), I think it's safe to assume that the updates themselves are not to blame. But instead there might have been some installation problems (for those updates), or other compatibility problems which occurred specifically in your system.

Moving even further, the problem you describe is actually specific to mis-installation (or no installation at all) of Microsoft C++ Runtime libraries. As far as I can see in your screenshot, the C++ runtime was installed correctly (both 2005 and 2008 versions), in both ”before” and ”updated” sets of screenshots. This is basically normal, since BitDefender installer will install these runtimes if they aren't already installed.

And because BitDefender worked fine before you updated Windows, the only reasonable explanation for why it stopped working after Windows Update is that the MSVC runtimes stopped working correctly (or were unregistered). Why this happened, I have no idea, but I can tell you for sure that BitDefender has absolutely no fault in this.

Using System Restore could fix this problem (and you said that it did). Also, if this problem appears again after updating, you can simply manually reinstall Microsoft C++ 2008 redistributable. You can find direct download link on Google (make sure to download it directly from Microsoft website to avoid further problems and/or security risks).

Have a nice day.

Cris.

• coolcool1227
    Options

Hi Cris

@And, basically, all Windows updates which appear in the ”Updated” screenshots were installed today (9/26/2010), which is a little peculiar, since you posted this topic yesterday (so you kinda posted this topic before you actually installed the updates). However, ignoring this kinda weird and (possibly) insignificant detail, let's move on...

Although I mentioned in my last post that "I restore my Laptop to the point before update were installed, and then I first upgrade Internet Explorer to Ver8 and performed the same steps I mentioned in my previous post and then again performed Windows Updates. So the sequence was

1) Install Windows Update (and Bitdefender crash dated when I post the topic)

2) Uninstall Bitdefender with its Uninstall Tool

3) Re-Install Bitdefender (but problem remain and I posted the topic)

4) Restore my Laptop to the point before Windows Update

5) Uninstall Bitdefender again as it was not working properly, but not displaying the subject error however

6) Install IE8

7) Install Bitdefender

8) Install Windows Update again(dated 9/26/2010 as you mentioned).

@(so you kinda posted this topic before you actually installed the updates).

Actually I installed the windows updates twice, but takes snapshots of latter (9/26/2010).

@Since the screenshots state that you installed all Windows updates at once

As I enable "Windows Automatic Update" option, so it automatically install updates all at once and to my surprise the updates were installed without any error message but causing the subject issue.

@ but I can tell you for sure that BitDefender has absolutely no fault in this.

I understand that it was an intermediate problem cause was MSVC runtimes libraries as you mentioned and Bitdefender itself is fault free as it worked properly otherwise when I perform its clean re-installation.

I highly appreciate your detailed reply.

This discussion has been closed.