Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Vsserv (same As Everyone Else)

Options

Seems that instead of dealing with the problem in a global way (instead, ea user has to upload logs to BD), they just close the existing threads. Just like everyone else, vsserv is using 30-60% of my cpu and 1.5 million of my virtual memory. I have malwarebytes, but it's the free edition, so no real time protection. Spybot teatimer is one, so again, no real time protection. windows defender is loaded (because it comes with Vista, but it is not on.

Seems that solutions posted are temporary at best (changing the httpproxy file, etc). Also, if you look back to the 2009 product forum, they have the same thread. WHY can't BD get their ###### together and fix the problems?? Seems they fixed the 2009 problem by releasing 2010, a product that just stopped working whenever it wanted to. So, they "fixed" the problem by going backwards and reintroducing the mega resources problem of 2009.

Comments

• Seems that instead of dealing with the problem in a global way (instead, ea user has to upload logs to BD), they just close the existing threads. Just like everyone else, vsserv is using 30-60% of my cpu and 1.5 million of my virtual memory. I have malwarebytes, but it's the free edition, so no real time protection. Spybot teatimer is one, so again, no real time protection. windows defender is loaded (because it comes with Vista, but it is not on.

Seems that solutions posted are temporary at best (changing the httpproxy file, etc). Also, if you look back to the 2009 product forum, they have the same thread. WHY can't BD get their ###### together and fix the problems?? Seems they fixed the 2009 problem by releasing 2010, a product that just stopped working whenever it wanted to. So, they "fixed" the problem by going backwards and reintroducing the mega resources problem of 2009.

This problem is starting to get friggin annoying. My comp is not necessarily running at high resources, but when BD is running everything is delayed by like 20 seconds. It must be BD doing this because when I uninstall BD everything runs fine and fast like it should. ACtually i just tried disabling AV module right now and it seems to be working fine. I guess i wont get any viruses because I cant use my computer since its so slow now...

• Hi!

I just installed BD IS 2011 and the vsserv problem was just there. What I did was to disable the automatic update function and no more high cpu usage from vsserv.exe . Now my comp works the way it should... just have to manually update the BD once in a while which doesn't bother me at all. You should also turn off the "Search Advisor" as I noticed it puts the vsserv on full throttle when you get the search results from google.

Try it and see if it works! ... hope it does!

• Johny. Yes I've done this before too. I usually put it on for every 4 hours or manual and do update before I go to bed. Not sure how much this really compromises computer security though.

• Steve do you have AVC / IDS enabled ? What you mean by 'everything has a delay of 20 seconds' ? You double click and the application you try to open runs after 20 seconds ?

I see you have 1 GB of RAM so a small delay may occur after installing BitDefender. Note that your PC meets the minimum system requirements.

mpsmom: TeaTimer.exe Description: SpyBot Sytems Settings Protector task which runs in the System Tray and which is installed when you install SpyBot Search & Destroy 1.3 or later. This task has the dual function of providing on the one hand a System Tray icon which enables the end-user to configure or run SpyBot options on-the-fly, and on the other hand it warns the user if programs which SpyBot does not know about, attempt to modify the Windows Registry.

While I think that SpyBot is a good product, it is my view that the majority of end-users will not have the required technical knowledge to really know when or when not to block Windows Registry changes, with the results that I have already witnessed too often where end-users end-up with vital software not functioning properly because the end-user thought it was a good idea to block the Registry change which TEATIMER alerted him/her to ! My recommendation, therefore, is to right-click on the TEATIMER icon in the System Tray and choose "Exit SpyBot S&D Resident" and to then disable this task on the Startups tab.

Once you stopped the TeaTimer real time protection repair BitDefender and the issue you encounter should be resolved.

Kind regards,

• Johny. Yes I've done this before too. I usually put it on for every 4 hours or manual and do update before I go to bed. Not sure how much this really compromises computer security though.

I don't think it compromises security at all. Think about it: how many new viruses could be developed between 2 manual updates, how many of these could you get on your comp all this time, and how many of this number of new viruses are entered in a new signature database by the bitdefender team so that you can be protected 100% if automatic update is enabled? Probably the number tends to 0... In fact, if any support team member is reading this, how often is the signature database updated? Is it updated every time a new virus is discovered or more often than that? What else is contained in the update besides the virus signature database?

• Danny,

What i mean by "everything takes 20 seconds to load" is that when i click a link it takes about 20 seconds before it actually starts trying to load the page. The first 5-10 seconds browser goes into "not responding". If i do ctrl + alt + del it shows browser not responding. Then I wait a little longer and the page will start to load and browser will be responding again. Note that this only happens when CPU is working very hard. It sounds like harddrive is processing at a very high rate. i check task manager and vsserv. is up to over 200K. See attached screen shot. It should never be this high for any reason should it?

post-26666-1286153507_thumb.jpg

• I am having the same problem - Just reupped for BD 20111 and now my computer is the slowest dog on the street. The CPU usuage of vsserv.exe is off the charts and my computer freezes alot. I use firefox as the browser and have antiphishing turns off. PLEASE HELP or I will have to find another program.

• mpsmom
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Steve do you have AVC / IDS enabled ? What you mean by 'everything has a delay of 20 seconds' ? You double click and the application you try to open runs after 20 seconds ?

I see you have 1 GB of RAM so a small delay may occur after installing BitDefender. Note that your PC meets the minimum system requirements.

mpsmom: TeaTimer.exe Description: SpyBot Sytems Settings Protector task which runs in the System Tray and which is installed when you install SpyBot Search & Destroy 1.3 or later. This task has the dual function of providing on the one hand a System Tray icon which enables the end-user to configure or run SpyBot options on-the-fly, and on the other hand it warns the user if programs which SpyBot does not know about, attempt to modify the Windows Registry.

While I think that SpyBot is a good product, it is my view that the majority of end-users will not have the required technical knowledge to really know when or when not to block Windows Registry changes, with the results that I have already witnessed too often where end-users end-up with vital software not functioning properly because the end-user thought it was a good idea to block the Registry change which TEATIMER alerted him/her to ! My recommendation, therefore, is to right-click on the TEATIMER icon in the System Tray and choose "Exit SpyBot S&D Resident" and to then disable this task on the Startups tab.

Once you stopped the TeaTimer real time protection repair BitDefender and the issue you encounter should be resolved.

Kind regards,

The only thing is, teatimer is NOT resident, there was a typo in my message. Teatimer is NOT on, so there is nothing to stop. There is nothing resident from Spybot, I only use it occasionally to run a scan. I have 4gb of memory and I'm having the same problem as everyone else. Everything runs at a snails pace and it is just since 2011. I tried turning off auto update, but that isn't working either. Vsserv STILL using 1.4 MILLION bytes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 times as much as any other program.

• vsserv will own you!

• vsserv will own you!

Simple but true. I've downloaded 2010 again and will probably revert back. I'd rather deal with the occasional random shutdown than a machine that is so well protected that I can't use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Oracle
    edited October 2010
    Options

I have written a few posts now about Vsserv and have finally resolved the issue.

Like DanyDan and others have said, if you have other security software in your system that is part of your 'start up' or is still in your registry, it will conflict with BitDefenders realtime protection. I had MalwareBytes and Advance systemcare Pro as part of my startup. I still have the programs installed but not part of my startup. Once I removed them form the startup, Vsserv does not become a problem, BitDefender and your PC will operate without any issue after a few minutes from log on or the commencement of Windows.

It's imperative to remove these security devices from start up. If you don't then the problem will remain.

I should add, and I am no authority on this, that some security devices like Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware may not be used at all, but I think you need to clarify that with a BitDefender technician. I know I had removed them a while back.

• I have written a few posts now about Vsserv and have finally resolved the issue.

Like DanyDan and others have said, if you have other security software in your system that is part of your 'start up' or is still in your registry, it will conflict with BitDefenders realtime protection. I had MalwareBytes and Advance systemcare Pro as part of my startup. I still have the programs installed but not part of my startup. Once I removed them form the startup, Vsserv does not become a problem, BitDefender and your PC will operate without any issue after a few minutes from log on or the commencement of Windows.

It's imperative to remove these security devices from start up. If you don't then the problem will remain.

I should add, and I am no authority on this, that some security devices like Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware may not be used at all, but I think you need to clarify that with a BitDefender technician. I know I had removed them a while back.

Oracle - thank you very much for posting your resolution! :)

It cannot be repeated enough - only ONE realtime security program installed/running at a time.

Again, THANKS!

• Oracle - thank you very much for posting your resolution! :)

It cannot be repeated enough - only ONE realtime security program installed/running at a time.

Again, THANKS!

My pleasure.

I would add that if this could be passed on to BitDefender sales team that somewhere in their advertising, there needs to be a disclaimer that if purchasers have other internet security software with realtime protection, they would need to uninstall it and clean registry before purchasing and using Bitdefender. I say this because in my situation, I wasn't aware that MalwareBytes and ASC (purchased versions) may conflict with my BitDefender purchase. If such a disclaimer was made, it may be a proactive way that may prevent purchasers from buying additional products and thewn become disgruntled that BitDefender wont function with other aditonal software.

• Unknown
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hello again,

@Oracle: When you install BitDefender 2011 a search is performed for several security solutions that have a real time protection included. Malwarebytes was added last week on my request. The list will be populated with software that we will find conflicting with BitDefender.

When you install the search is performed and, if any of those software are found in your PC, the system will restart and the cleaning will be performed. Keep in mind that sometimes not all Windows Registry entries will be removed that is why I strongly recommend even tho' it's not a must to use a registry cleaner BEFORE you install a new security solution or upgrading to a newer version of one already installed in your system.

mpsmom: Please complete the steps in THIS POST then send me a PM with the download link so I can start the analysis.

Looking forward to your answer!

This discussion has been closed.