Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bd 2011 - Unusably Slow Gmail

Options

I am having trouble with extremely slow access to/use of Gmail with anti-phishing enabled. Problem is extremely frustrating on my Dell Latitude D830 laptop with 4 gigs of RAM, dual processors and all the latest nasty-go-fasty hardware, etc. but absolutely intolerable on the many Dell D2400 office computers I own - all of which well exceed the "Minimum System Requirements" advertised by BD for 2011 AV.

Adding Google.com to whitelist is same as disabling anti-phishing and not an option. I have no other AV, Adware or other such products installed but am using Windows Firewall as, if I am not mistaken, BD 2011 does not have its own firewall.

I've submitted trouble tickets to BD, including installing the applet that tracks reproduced issues but no fix yet.

Systems with issues (all!), include numerous Dell 2400's with 1 gig ram and Pentium 4 Processors plus 2 Latitude D820's and 1 D830 all of the Latitudes pretty state-of-the-art with regard to system resources, RAM, video cards, etc and all of which FAR exceed minimum hardware requirments.

Also... for all:

OS: Win XP Pro (all updates installed as of today, including SP3)

Browser: IE 8

HELP... My office is crippled since installing BD 2011 AV

Comments

• To have tech support investigate your issue, please follow these steps:

1. First please unplug the Internet cable from your computer or disable the Wireless adaptor if you are using one. This prevents the supporttools files from being automatically uploaded.

2. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

3. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

4. Double-click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

5. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish

6. A file will be created on your desktop. Please move it to a location of your choice (i.e. move it on your c:\ drive)

7. Reconnect your internet cable (only after you have moved the file to the new location)

8. Upload the created file HERE

9. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

10. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about this particular PC - exact symptoms, hardware (CPU type/speed, Memory installed, etc.), OS and version, 32-bit or 64-bit, any other security software installed or previously uninstalled. Any other relevant configuration information.

It may take several days for them to analyze the files and respond depending on their workload, so please be patient.

Regards,

• tmk40126
    edited October 2010
    Options

Nikki605... Done.

(Also, do I really need to use SendSpace.com - looks like same tracking applet is available on BD Support page - without needing to create an account and FTP upload to SendSpace.)

• Nikki605... Done.

(Also, do I really need to use SendSpace.com - looks like same tracking applet is available on BD Support page - without needing to create an account and FTP upload to SendSpace.)

You don't have to create an account on SendSpace. Just click the Browse button, navigate to the file on your PC, select it and click Upload File. After it's uploaded, highlight the Download Link to select it, copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl+C) and then paste it in the PM you send to DanyDan.

If you use the BD Support page, it won't get directly to Daniel and his investigation will be delayed.

Hope this helps,

• Thanks... sent file yesterday. Looking forward to a fix.

• Thanks... sent file yesterday. Looking forward to a fix.

You're welcome. Give tech support a few days to investigate your dump files and get back to you.

Regards,

• Hello,

I have sent you an answer via email to the ticket ID: 201010251008148. Please follow the enclosed steps and the issue should be resolved.

Kind regards,

• Daniel,

Hopefully you got my email response to your suggested fix which failed miserably. I have now spent over 50 hours mucking around with BitDefender issues, including over 18 hours of downloading BD 2010 (1 time - as directed), BD 2011 (2 times - as directed), not to mention the other utility programs I was isntructed to download and the now FIVE (yeah... 5) dumps I have using BD's support tool (supporttool.exe).

After 9 days of screwing around, I've got an office full of barely functioning PCs as a result of installing BD 2011 AV, then BD 2010 AV - and still no workable solution.

For all having issues or reading these posts in contemplation of buying BD.... read this:

Daniel,

I precisely followed all the instructions below.

1) Uninstall downloaded and ran fine.

2) Ccleaner downloaded, installed and ran fine.

3) 32 bit version of BD 2011 downloaded and hung on installation. Got the "Please wait while the BitDefnder installer is configured" (see "Untitled.JPG" screen shot attached). I let it go for full 30 minutes - no disk activity, no other message appeared (except for continuously revolving "progress wheel" but, again, without disk activity and apparent no use of system resources during the entire 30 minutes!

4) Finally rebooted computer and tried a second time to run the file (downloaded from: http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...s_2011_32b.exe)

5) Installation hung again at same place.

6) Ran Ccleaner again and apparently no new files installed or ge entries made by (2) failed installation attempts.

7) Attempted to install BD 2010 (bitdefender_antivirus_2010_32b.exe) which I had downloaded at from BD's FTP site when all this first started.

8) Got an error message which I did not save and do not recall precisely which in essencee said the program could not be installed and to run the online AV scanner to make sure the install problem was not virus-related.

9) Followed link to online AV scanner and downloaded the (Java?) applet and all updated virus signatures and started online scan.

10) I left the computer for several hours and returned to find a message from the online scanner that the online scan had failed (0 files processed).

11) I attempted to install the already downloaded BD 2010 (#7 above) again and this time it appeared to install correctly.

12) After rebooting (which was SUPER slow - several minutes longer than normal) and I finally got a desktop, the read BD taskbar icon tunred grey and I got an error message that said something to the effect that "BitDefender Services" could not be enabled.

13) I rebooted again and (with another LONG dealy - again with a completely black screen and furious disk activity apparent) I finally got a desktop and the same thing happened as #12, above.

14) I ran PC Tools "Registry Cleaner" then UniBlue's "Registry Booster" both found registry errors and fixed a number of "issues".

15) I rebooted computer again and this time it booted normally with no long delay of completely black screen BUT.... BD 2010 icon did same thing (turned grey) and I got the same message about "BitDefender Services".

16) I had a BD 2010 icon on my desktop (not the taskbar icon) and clicked it and it "manually" launched BD and all seemed to work fine.

17) Attempted to run a Deep Scan only to have my computer lock up for the better part of an hour (again with tons of disk accesses but all the while completely frozen and unresponsive).

18) Turned the computer off while it was locked up and did a cold boot.

19) Wrote this email

HISTORY:

Until about 2 months ago I was using Kaspersky AV 2008 for which (in 2008) I bought numerous licenses for all of my Dell D2400 office computers and several Dell Latitude Laptops, including this machine - a Dell Latitude D830 (system configuration attached herewith as a pdf) which is the system I used in the above attempts to fix the slow gmail issue in accordance with your email instructions below.

In 2010, with the license for Kaspersky about to expire, I tried both Kaspersky 2010 and BitDefender 2010 so I could compare the two products side-by-side. Kaspersky 2008 was a resource hog and I was looking for a leaner solution that would not so heavily tax system resources. Never were both products installed on the same computer at the same time, and any install of either product was fully uninstalled, using the provider's uninstall routines, before installing a different product - so no conflicts should have occurred as a result of these trials.

In the process of assesing the two programs, Kaspersky discovered a Trojan on one of my external Western Digital Backup drives and it removed the virus. Afterwards, I ran several online scanners (including BitDefender's online AV scan) as well as both the newly purchased 2010 versions of BD and Kaspersky - to make absolutely sure no viruses reamined on any of the computers or drives - internal or external.

After doing numerous scans, I reformatted the hard drive of both the computer and the excternal drive that was attached to it and did a complete fresh install of the OS (XP Pro SR3) and all application software - including fully updating the OS and all the installed apps.

I decided that BD 2010 was less taxing on system resources and decided to install the BD 2010 software I had recently purchased, only to find at that time that the original disk was left at my Hawaii home (I was and still am in Indonesia at my Indo office with same computers as in my Hawaii office) on an extended business trip. Without the disk, I was faced with having to download and install the software for every computer one-by-one as the BD 2010 donwloadable software auto-installs, without option to save the native donwload file to disk first (and thus be able to use it for multi-installs, all licensed of course).\

I call BD Customer Support and was sent to BD FTP site http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...virus/final/en/ where I was told I could download BD 2011 and use my then almost new BD 2010 license/activation number to install the most current (2011) version of BD.

I spent hours downloading the 32 bith BD 2011 Av file at that site, only to have it fail when I tired to install it (I don't remember the precise failuer but it could well have been the same failure detailed in #3 above.

Frustrated by the failure to install 2011, I then downloaded the 32 bit BD 2010 AV file located at the same FTP site (which is the source file for the install I ended up with per step #7, above).

After reading the information on 2011, I later ended up downloading and installing the 2011 "trial" product from the BitDefender.com site (i.e the one that installs without the option to save the downloaded 2011 version to disk).

After installing 2011 I began to experience the "slow Gmail" issue which prompted all of the ensuing support requests and actions.

At this point I am about to give up on BD. I've wasted DAYS (not hours.... DAYS) of my time and still have no solution. Every install was always fully uninstalled but each new install had issues.

Do you a solution that works??? The one below failed as noted above.

I have again run your diagnostic dump for this (D830 Laptop), and attached it here - I hope it will help.

All my office computers have been running without phishing protection as, clearly, it is enabling phishing which causes the slow gmail issue. Not an acceptable solution but we simply cannot operate with out virus protection and email.

• Unknown
    edited November 2010
    Options

I will try to answer your queries listed above:

- took few hours to download BitDefender: What Internet connection do you have ? I believe the issues at installation were due to a corrupt installation file not being downloaded correctly / incomplete - caused by a poor internet connection;

- the first reboot after installation will take several minutes however this should not occur anymore on the second PC restart

- I am sorry about everything you went through in installing BitDefender however, it is clearly stated in several topics, the manuals etc not to use multiple security solutions and to be sure you cleaned your PC from eventual old files from previous installations. You should have contact Us or me in the forums when you failed to install BitDefender the first time.

- you don't remember the precise failure message: you should create a screenshot for the error message - I need more details

- What is the current issue you are facing with BitDefender ?

- where have you attached the log file ? No attachment in the topic

Please reply with all the info you can provide regarding the issue you are facing and the PCs involved.

<ia name="LiveUpdate 3.2 (Symantec Corporation)" version="3.2.0.68" publisher="Symantec Corporation" install='"C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate"' />

I have sent you an answer via email. Please check your Inbox. If you agree with the remote session please send me a reply via email.

• Danny... see my responses "<<TMK40126 Wrote>>" below....

I will try to answer your queries listed above:

- took few hours to download BitDefender: What Internet connection do you have ? I believe the issues at installation were due to a corrupt installation file not being downloaded correctly / incomplete - caused by a poor internet connection;

<<TMK40126 Wrote>> You would not recognize my ISP - I am in Indonesia on a busiess trip and using and ADSL service called "TelkomSpeedy". I downloaded the BD 2011 installation file twice and got the same error - hard to beliee it was precisely similar corruption. Also downloaded BD 2010 and it installed fine.

- the first reboot after installation will take several minutes however this should not occur anymore on the second PC restart

<<TMK40126 Wrote>> OK...

- I am sorry about everything you went through in installing BitDefender however, it is clearly stated in several topics, the manuals etc not to use multiple security solutions and to be sure you cleaned your PC from eventual old files from previous installations.

<<TMK40126 Wrote>> Getting tired of saying this (both ion this forum and in my emails to support staff - you?) - THERE IS NO OTHER Security Solution Installed - both BD 2011 & 2010 AV preinstall routines mistakenly identify "Norton" (and once also "Windows Defender") as being installed and ask if I want to delete them. As I have emailed tech support several times in response to requests that I uninstall these two programs NEITHER are installed on my computer - no reg entries I can see, not listed in Control Panel "Add or Remove Programs", not showin in Start>Programs. Never had any version of Norton AV installed on this box; had Windows Defender installed a while ago but uninstalled it long before the issue with BD 2011 surfaced. I DO have Norton Ghost 12 ("NG12") installed. As I've said in several emails, NG12 is NOT a security program. Its a disck imaging/cloning program and nowhere have I seen of been advised that any conflict exists between BD 2010 (which has worked fine with NG12) or BD 2011 AV.

Further You should have contact Us or me in the forums when you failed to install BitDefender the first time.

<<TMK40126 Wrote>> Look back at my posts and emails - contacted BD as soon as I realized the gmail issue was BD 2011 related - at least 2 or 3 weeks ago!

- you don't remember the precise failure message: you should create a screenshot for the error message - <<TMK40126 Wrote>> I sent you a screen shot!

I need more details

- What is the current issue you are facing with BitDefender ?

<<TMK40126 Wrote>> Again... Bitdefender 2011 takes forever to load when Anti-Phishing is enabled and each operation (opening an email, etc. within gmail is intolerably slow - several minutes for every operation!

- where have you attached the log file ? No attachment in the topic

<<TMK40126 Wrote>> I emailed one copy to you created from running the local executable dump routine (can remember its name - as instructed), and on two other occassion I used the web based (same program) to generate to additional/separate dumps and send them in as directed on this forum.

Please reply with all the info you can provide regarding the issue you are facing and the PCs involved.

<<TMK40126 Wrote>> Come on guys.... sent you complete details of all the Dell boxes and laptop, OS's, RAM, Video, etc.

I have sent you an answer via email. Please check your Inbox. If you agree with the remote session please send me a reply via email.

I agree and have sent you an email confirming it.

This discussion has been closed.