Slow Down Of Computer After Installing Internet 2011

I installed a brand new WD Black Scopio HD and Windows 7 on my laptop (P8400 2.26ghz, 4 gigs ram) yesterday afternoon. I only loaded up the needed drivers and installed Firefox, no other programs installed of any kind. I have a cable modem set up. Web pages loaded instantly, videos were instant, etc. I then purchased the 2011 Internet Security and I was very disappointed. My Comcast homepage, is now a 6 to 8 sec load time, searches take 8 to 12 secs, web pages 6 to 10 secs. I'm hoping this is due to my not having an option checked/unchecked and not what is to be expected from the product. Any information that can be provided would be great.

Comments

• Disable the antiphishing and webtraffic scan then it should be fast again

• Hello,

Please try to follow the steps below and let me know if the issue still persist:

1. Open BitDefender in Expert View (Go to Options in the upper part of the Window, select Expert View and click OK)

2. Go to the Antivirus tab.

3. Click on the Custom Level button, uncheck the Scan web (HTTP) traffic and check if the issue still occur.

4. Disable the Search Advisor module and check if the issue still occurs.

5. If it does, Disable the Antiphishing module on that browser and check if the issue still occurs.

6. If it still does, click on Advanced Settings and disable the AVC module and IDS module (by default IDS should be disabled).

Please let us know if any of these steps solved your issue.

Regards,

• thanks, it's help a lot. But, still I examining this performance, later

BD should be disable this on default install.

• Hello,

We allow everyone who is using BitDefender to make the respective changes and set it as it best fits their needs. By default the IDS is the only option set to Disabled, considering that it's a more strict feature in preventing unauthorized access.

• I don't know if this has anything to do with "slowdown" issues, but one of the things I noticed in the ReportingEvents.log file (C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution) is that BD is checking every hour for MS updates. Here are some entry examples:

{64BFD609-ACFE-4B03-AA62-3EEB489AC5C8} 2010-08-30 17:57:28:921-0400 1 147 101 {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} 0 0 BitDefender Scan Service Success Software Synchronization Windows Update Client successfully detected 0 updates.

{874196CB-909A-4269-8E09-960E1E2A8C31} 2010-08-30 18:57:25:031-0400 1 147 101 {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} 0 0 BitDefender Scan Service Success Software Synchronization Windows Update Client successfully detected 0 updates.

{DEBE5F8A-64BE-4FFF-B83D-31A36C3B08A4} 2010-08-30 19:40:03:078-0400 1 147 101 {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} 0 0 BitDefender Scan Service Success Software Synchronization Windows Update Client successfully detected 0 updates.

{2ED6B879-41BF-41A5-920F-81DA3251E81C} 2010-08-30 20:39:56:984-0400 1 147 101 {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} 0 0 BitDefender Scan Service Success Software Synchronization Windows Update Client successfully detected 0 updates.

{208DC31B-1904-4A13-8638-4CE58B49CB9A} 2010-08-30 21:39:41:984-0400 1 147 101 {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} 0 0 BitDefender Scan Service Success Software Synchronization Windows Update Client successfully detected 0 updates.

{8F7DB22B-BF06-403B-AEC0-559857E49284} 2010-08-30 22:39:59:515-0400 1 147 101 {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} 0 0 BitDefender Scan Service Success Software Synchronization Windows Update Client successfully detected 0 updates.

Maybe it isn't generating a lot of internet traffic, but it made me wonder...

Just as a test, I've disabled the following Monitor's on the Vulnerability-->Settings tab:

- Critical Windows Updates

- Regular Windows Updates

- Application Updates

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Gary

• columbo
    columbo
    edited September 2010

DanyDan, in your post #3, isn't that disabling some of the nice protection that BD offers, especially if the Antiphishing is turned off to increase web browsing speeds. I ask this, as I am trying the trial version of the 2011 AV Pro version, and would like to know before I purchase it. I do remember when I purchased the BD version #10, that disabling the HTTP Scan Web helped speed things up, but with the highly rated Antiphishing abilities (PCMagazine Review) I would hate to start disabling things that serve a good purpose. :)

• Good morning,

@Gary: after you disabled those 3 updates, any improvement on the browsing speed ? I truly doubt that checking for those updates will generate a traffic worth taking into consideration.

@Columbo: I have asked in my post #3 to disable those features as a test. Keep in mind that even with your Antiphishing disabled, BitDefender Real Time Protection will keep your computer safe and secure.

Regards,

• Daniel - No. But then, I wasn't seeing any browsing slowdown in the first place. My only concern was having another program that "phones home." I already have enough of those. Windows checks for its own updates. My applications check for their own updates. Each application adds its own overhead to the overall PC and internet performance. I'm just trying to control that overhead. Granted, BD may only add a small fraction of that overhead, but I have 48 processes running on this WinXP desktop. If they each add their own "small fraction" of overhead, it becomes significant. Its like having all the lights turned on in your house. Each light only adds a small amount to your electric bill, but when they are all turned on your electric bill gets significantly larger.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited September 2010
    Good morning,

@Columbo: I have asked in my post #3 to disable those features as a test. Keep in mind that even with your Antiphishing disabled, BitDefender Real Time Protection will keep your computer safe and secure.

Regards,

Good morning Daniel, and thanks for your reply :)

I guess that's the benefit of having a software with a layered approach, in that it has other back up security features for protection. I guess a little web slow down is ok, if I know a known good Antiphishing filter is protecting me, some times we may have to make a trade off for a little speed verses the security provided.

• Not exactly the same problem as him, but I my internet has slowed down a lot. I have a very fast computer and have had no problems before but my firefox has been slowed down to a crawl and more often than not has been unable to connect to the server. Windows Explorer has been a little better but I'd much rather use firefox.

If there was an update coming out soon then I would be happy to wait but If I'm going to have to turn some features off I'm going to be quite unhappy considering I paid a lot more for total security.

I have tried reinstalling it and like before, the speed is just fine until about the second day where i gradually slows (a update?)

Thanks,

• Hello,

With all the respect rOB300 but you need to create a new topic, explain the issue you encounter and I will be more than happy to assist you further. Posting on a topic where a different issue is handled can create confusion. I have set your post to Invisible (Unapproved post) and I have sent you an email with instructions on how to further investigate the issue you encounter. Your ticket ID is: 201009031007165

Kind regards,

• Hello,

Please try to follow the steps below and let me know if the issue still persist:

1. Open BitDefender in Expert View (Go to Options in the upper part of the Window, select Expert View and click OK)

3. Click on the Custom Level button, uncheck the Scan web (HTTP) traffic and check if the issue still occur.

5. If it does, Disable the Antiphishing module on that browser and check if the issue still occurs.

6. If it still does, click on Advanced Settings and disable the AVC module and IDS module (by default IDS should be disabled).

Regards,

Thank you so much, DanyDan. Disabling Scan web traffic and the Search Advisor solved this issue for me. :)

• Hello,

Regards,

I too have been experiencing extremely slow browsing since getting bitdefender (which I bought and had installed on my new laptop, which, other than a few programs, is still completely empty). I've followed these instructions:

- disabled scan web (which I'm assuming scans any new website before it opens up, yes?)

- disabled search advisor (which, from what I can gather, alerts the user to any sites in a search engine search that could be harmful?)

- disabled the anti-phishing module for firefox

This seems to have solved my problem, but I'm a little concerned about not having anti-phishing protection now. You semi-addressed this question above by saying the computer would still be protected by Real Time Protection, but I'm not clear exactly on how that works. Is there still anti=phishing protection, or do I have to forgo that option if I want my browser to load sites faster than 15-30 seconds?

• Unknown
    edited November 2010

Hello Hellohillary,

The scan http traffic is part of the Antivirus module, however you can have it disabled and still be protected. Consider this option as an extra layer of security for those who are heavily surfing the web.

The Search Adviser is scanning the results in the Search engines such as Google. You can have for example: the site adviser disabled and the Antiphishing enabled and you will be protected and notified whenever an infected / suspicious website is found.

Considering the fact that this topic was open for another issue - check the topic title - but everyone is posting here ( no idea why instead of having your own topic ) consider this topic CLOSED.

This discussion has been closed.