[resolved]Firewall Turned Off On Start Up Issues

Yesterday and today I have been having an issue with my firewall in bitdefender internet security 2011. When I turn on my computer bd firewall is off. I get a warning from windows action center, but bitdefender gives no issue warning. When I check my firewall it is unchecked and set to allow all. I check and fix it, it stays fine until I restart my computer then it is off again. I am running windows 7. I ran virus scan offline and the only thing it found was 27 cookies that it deleted. I ran an online scanner too and it found nothing. It is only happening on my desktop, I have seen no issues with my laptop. I did not have this problem until yesterday.

Comments

• still having this issue....any ideas of whats going on and how to fix it?

• Same issue here

May be linked to the last update

• Hello,

I do not believe that the issue you encounter is due to an infection. Follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file.

Looking forward to your answer!

• Hello,

I do not believe that the issue you encounter is due to an infection. Follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file.

When I tried to start the suport tool it asked for an email address to send it to, I wasn't sure what to put there, it will not start without filling out the email address, what the issue is and details about the issue. Also how long does it take to create the report?

Thank you

• I forgot to add I did have the computer offline when I tried to do the support tool. Still waiting for a reply

• Enter your email address that you registered BD with.

The SupportTool was originally written to be automated. That is, it will generate the log files, place the zipped file on your Windows Desktop and then automatically upload the zipped file to BD's servers where a tech will evaluate them and respond to the email addess you provided with what he has found in the logs and suggest a resolution.

When users on the forum post a problem and DanyDan asks for the log files to be sent directly to him (his turnaround time will be much quicker) the internet connection needs to be temporarily "broken" so that the zipped file stays on your Windows Desktop rather than be automatically uploaded to the BD "cloud" and subsequently removed from your Desktop. That is why it is important to move the file to another folder BEFORE re-connecting to the internet. If you re-connected to the internet and the zipped file was still on your Desktop, it would be uploaded to the BD "cloud" anyway.

With the zipped file moved off the Desktop, you can now re-connect to the internet and upload the file to a file sharing website like sendspace.com, where DanyDan can go get it once you provide him with the download link in a PM.

The time it takes to generate the files will vary depending on your PC speed, memory and how much data is on your HDD for the SupportTool to go through. With that in mind, I would give it at least 30 minutes (I'm guessing here). Don't be in a rush thinking it may be "hung."

Hope this information helps,

• dragonstorm
    edited November 2010
    Enter your email address that you registered BD with.

The time it takes to generate the files will vary depending on your PC speed, memory and how much data is on your HDD for the SupportTool to go through. With that in mind, I would give it at least 30 minutes (I'm guessing here). Don't be in a rush thinking it may be "hung."

I tried again and put my email address in ect....but an hour and half later the bar did not move to show any progress. My computer is only about 7 months old and is a decent computer. HP Pavilion HPE-170F Elite Desktop PC with Intel Core i7-920 Processor & Windows 7 Home Premium, or will this computer take longer, am I looking at several hours? The reason I asked how long was so I can plan it around my homeschooling and work. I also dont want to start in the evening just for it to take longer then I want to stay up lol.

Should I try a reinstall or try to wait hours for it to run?

• No, if you waited 1-1/2 hours, something else is wrong. Since the SupportTool doesn't seem to want to run, we'll have to step back and use a different tool. Cancel out of the SupportTool and re-boot the PC. Then, please follow these steps and let us know if you were successful:

1. Download this file: http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...ile/sysdump.exe

2. Locate and open 'Sysdump.exe'

3. A command prompt window will appear on your screen. Please note that the information gathering process can take several minutes therefore please wait until the window disappear by itself.

4. The result will be the file called 'SYSDUMP.TAR' and will be located in the same folder where you ran sysdump.exe from.

5. When you have the sysdump.tar please upload it HERE

6. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your problem symptoms. Also provide any other relevant configuration information.

Depending on their workload, it may take several days for them to respond.

Awaiting your reply,

• No, if you waited 1-1/2 hours, something else is wrong. Since the SupportTool doesn't seem to want to run, we'll have to step back and use a different tool. Cancel out of the SupportTool and re-boot the PC. Then, please follow these steps and let us know if you were successful:

1. Download this file: http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...ile/sysdump.exe

2. Locate and open 'Sysdump.exe'

3. A command prompt window will appear on your screen. Please note that the information gathering process can take several minutes therefore please wait until the window disappear by itself.

4. The result will be the file called 'SYSDUMP.TAR' and will be located in the same folder where you ran sysdump.exe from.

5. When you have the sysdump.tar please upload it HERE

6. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your problem symptoms. Also provide any other relevant configuration information.

Depending on their workload, it may take several days for them to respond.

Awaiting your reply,

followed the above instructions and sent message and file link to danydan a few minutes ago

• OK, great. Hopefully, DanyDan will find something in the sysdump that will explain your difficulties.

Thanks,

• Decided because of the several issues with loading web pages, my firewall and getting the info first asked of me that didn't run, I decided to try a complete uninstall and reinstall, so far after rebooting the firewall shows on, if something changes I will update

• Hello,

How exactly did you do the re-install ? Are the logs before or after the reinstall process ? What I have noticed in the logs you sent me is that the Real Time Protection driver was not installed correctly.

- If the logs were generated BEFORE re-installing BitDefender please generate a new set of logs.

- If the logs were generated AFTER re-installing BitDefender please let me know

- If the issue does not occur anymore please let me know so I can close both the ticket you have open with Us and this topic.

• dragonstorm
    edited November 2010
    Hello,

How exactly did you do the re-install ? Are the logs before or after the reinstall process ? What I have noticed in the logs you sent me is that the Real Time Protection driver was not installed correctly.

- If the logs were generated BEFORE re-installing BitDefender please generate a new set of logs.

- If the logs were generated AFTER re-installing BitDefender please let me know

- If the issue does not occur anymore please let me know so I can close both the ticket you have open with Us and this topic.

It was before, so I have sent you the one after. I do believe my firewall issue is resolved with the reinstall, although the system tool didn't seem to work but I don't think that is as big as of an issue (I hope)

I used the uninstall tool located on the message board and then reinstalled it

• Indeed the new logs are clean. Please check your Forum inbox for details. Issue resolved upon re-install, topic closed.

This discussion has been closed.