Found this Twice

What exactly is this?

"VirTool:Win32/DefenderTamperingRestore"

Here's a screenshot of the tool I've used. The Microsoft Safety Scanner picked this up twice in different time periods.

According to a quick research I've found this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/malware-encyclopedia-description?name=VirTool%3AWin32%2FDefenderTamperingRestore&product=13

and https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-wanna-know-what/de198fd5-c38c-4b67-aa80-58135d7c4e2c

If I interrupted something with the Bitdefender AV, how do I remedy it? If not what do I do?

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

VirTool:Win32/DefenderTamperingRestore is not malware in itself. It's a detection triggered by Microsoft Safety Scanner when it observes behaviors related to Windows Defender's self-protection mechanisms.

What's happening:

• Windows Defender Tamper Protection: Windows Defender has a built-in tamper protection feature that prevents unauthorized changes to its settings and components.
    • Third-Party Antivirus Conflict: When you have a third-party antivirus like Bitdefender installed, it often takes over security functions from Windows Defender. This can sometimes lead to conflicts or trigger the tamper protection feature, causing Microsoft Safety Scanner to flag it as a potential threat.

What you can do:

1. Ignore the Detection: As long as you have Bitdefender installed and updated, and you haven't noticed any unusual behavior on your system, it's safe to ignore the VirTool:Win32/DefenderTamperingRestore detection.
    2. Disable Tamper Protection (Optional): If you want to avoid future detections, you can disable Windows Defender's tamper protection. However, this is not recommended unless you have a strong reason to do so.
    3. Keep Bitdefender Updated: Ensure Bitdefender is always up-to-date with the latest virus definitions to provide maximum protection for your system.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Ah! I see. Before I had bought Bit defender I had bought Kaspersky and the same thing happened. Alright thank you for the clarification.