new user of BitDefender av, after install browsers cannot connect to internet

Hello friends,

Yes indeed, I have searched a few times for this topic!

BD AV for Mac OS is my problem. After default install, browsers no longer connect to internet. :-(

I uninstalled BD VPN, which was accidentally installed by default settings.

Not using parental controls yet either. Need to get at least ONE product working, before trying out any others.

The rest of OS and BitDefender itself still appear to work. Indeed, today I updated the Mac OS, no problem.

And https://central.bitdefender.com sees that this device is unprotected, as I've permanently turned OFF Bitdefender, ALL of it, for now and until the browsers can work again.

However, other internet based softwares still work.

Indeed, ONLY the browsers stopped working, right after installing Bitdefender with default settings.

Please help! — Kind regards, SafeBD User

I can follow step-by-step directions, but ask for help in finding things, like folders or settings. Sorry for being a newbie.

Wanting to be smart and not needy. So will save the fix that works to not ask this again. Thanks!

Comments

• I'm thinking it is not going to work out with BD, despite a good faith effort.

Browsers in MacOS still blocked, no one thinks I am worthy of even a response. This is disappointing! :-(

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

The admin and support staff are not available on the forum on weekends; the best way for you to proceed is to contact Bitdefender support and get in touch with them via chat.

Kindly contact Bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help

Select, How to's & Troubleshooting Bitdefender productsTroubleshootingI don't knowContact Support→ You will get the option of chatcall or email.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Thank you! :-)

• Hello @SafeBDUser,

We do our best to help everyone here, but unfortunately I was unable to provide a rasponse in good time on this thread, as I was on a leave. Can you tell us if the issue persists, or if you contacted Bitdefender Support already, and if yes, what solution did they provide?

Thank you

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Hello Alexandru,

First, thank you for replying. Even delayed, it is appreciated. No problem! :-)

Yes, issue persists. So, I am open to any help and we can work together with clear directions to troubleshoot.

Thank you for your kindness. — Stephen

• Hello @SafeBDUser,

Due to the unusual nature of the issue you are encountering, I would also recommend contacting the Bitdefender Support teams for further assistance. Before contacting them, head to the link below to learn how to create a debug log on your Mac using Bitdefender Profiler. The Profiler utility is used by the Bitdefender support team to diagnose and troubleshoot Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac installation failures or product issues. The tool gathers logs and product usage information, necessary for further investigation:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1863/

When you contact Bitdefender support, a representative may ask you to provide detailed technical information and additional details may be required to troubleshoot in this scenario. You can get in touch with the Bitdefender engineers by choosing one of the contact channels listed here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

State your contact reason / choose request category, then choose from the available contact channels, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to reach them.

Kindly follow up with the community, if possible and let us know how it goes, so we can help others who may encounter this issue in the future.

Thank you and best regards,

Alex

• The issue is now resolved.

I found this step recommended by BitDefender Support was effective:

• "Proxy and VPN Configuration: Verify that no proxy or VPN settings have been inadvertently applied. You can check this under System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Proxies. Ensure no proxy is enabled unless intentionally set."
    • It turns out that, even despite UNinstalling the former ESET with its own custom uninstaller, the poor quality of ESET left behind two items within this Proxies-setting. Very disappointing!
    • Once removed, all is working well. ESET sux.
    • Switching from ESET to BitDefender is now proven even MORE the right choice. Thank you BitDefender! :-)

• @SafeBDUser it's good to hear this, thank you very much for closing the loop and for providing the resolution! 👍️

And last but not least, your patience and resilience to fix this is appreciated! I'll send your feedback to our Support teams.

Regards,

Alex

• It seems like Bitdefender might be blocking your browsers through its web protection or firewall settings. Here's a simple fix:

Open Bitdefender on your Mac and navigate to the protection or firewall settings. Temporarily turn off web protection or the firewall, and check if your browsers start working. If they do, you can adjust the settings to allow browser access.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, try reinstalling the browsers or clearing the cache. Once the problem is fixed, re-enable Bitdefender's features one at a time to ensure everything works smoothly.