[Feature Request] Information about TrafficLight

Hi,

TrafficLight could be integrated into the UI. There is currently no information about the existence of this browser extension. You can also directly select the browser for which you want to install it.

1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Your feedback has been automatically shared with the Bitdefender developers. However, it’s highly unlikely that the Bitdefender Traffic Light will be integrated directly into the Bitdefender product itself. This is because the Bitdefender product already includes the Web Protection feature, which functions in the same way as the Traffic Light extension. There's essentially no difference between the two.

Introducing two products with identical features is redundant, and as far as I know, Bitdefender’s Web Protection already provides perfect protection without the need to install the Traffic Light extension. So, if you’re using Bitdefender with integrated Web Protection, there's no real reason to use the Traffic Light extension as well. Adding it would only duplicate functionality, offering no additional benefit.

@camarie, anything to add or correct here?

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• TrafficLight is not installed. Sometimes I see the security symbols in front of the links in a Google search and sometimes I don't. It's rare that they appear. Does Bitdefender's WebProtection itself work differently?

• Flexx
    Flexx mod
    edited September 21

This happens to me occasionally as well. However, I've never been concerned since Bitdefender's web protection feature runs in the background, safeguarding against malicious and phishing websites. That being said, @camarie can provide some insights here.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• It would be great if security symbols were always displayed in Google searches.

• TrafficLight is a separate, free extension. This is why it is not integrated into the UI.

WebProtection functionality appears to be similar when talking about the browser where is integrated, but it does much more, being a set of system components (interacts with ignis network driver, detects banking links and notifies the product for possible Safepay handling etc.), not to mention it executes on another security level and it not confined to the browser where an extension is installed.

But that aside, yes, the main purpose is similar - web protection, as the name says.

About the security symbols not appearing sometimes: it is possible for a page to go thru cache load AFAIK, so no traffic is done and hence no network scan/interception is performed (the web page is load from disk, not from a network request). Since the security symbols are added on the fly by Web Protection, they are not saved into the cache (I don't know all the exact details since I am not involved directly in the core of the feature). I imagine that can be one cause of this - the difference between pressing F5 on a webpage, which can load it from cache, and Ctrl-F5 which forces a requery of the webserver and hence generating traffic. Or maybe it is just a bug manifesting, I cannot rule that - Web Protection is a really large and complex component.

I am forwarding this to the guys knowing more than me anyways.

• Thank you @camarie