No Settings Or Configuration Options, Just Deletes All My Files!

Before I pulled the plug on this application (Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition) I wanted to just post this on public forums. I tried to seek support from the bitdefender support portal (create a ticket and communicate via email) but that yielded no results other than an automated message.

Thank you for contacting Bitdefender Customer Care. This is an automated reply to confirm that we have received your request, and that we are working on resolving your issue(s) as promptly as possible. Your assigned ticket number is 2016051603500002. We advise that you keep this reference number in a safe place for further tracking/follow-up. Regards, Bitdefender Customer Care Team

Then an email right after...

Dear Arvo Bowen,

Dear [name],

First of all, thank you very much for choosing Bitdefender to protect your computer.
In order to respond to your Customer Care request, we ask that you please provide us the below data, depending on the situation you encountered:

SITUATION 1: Bitdefender found an infection on your computer and for some reason didn't manage to remove the infected file.
REQUESTED ACTION: Run a System Scan and send us the resulting scan report.
You can find all the steps on how to do that in our article:
http://www.bitdefender.com/support/-1473.html

SITUATION 2: You believe your computer is infected and the Bitdefender System Scan didn't find the infection
REQUESTED ACTION: Send us the following information in order to assist you:

a) a BDsys log. In order to generate the log, please follow the steps from our article:
http://www.bitdefender.com/support/total-security/-490.html

B) one or more screenshots displaying the effects of the infection

c) a detailed description of the situation

Should you have any other malware related questions, please reply to this e-mail and describe the situation you are encountering.
If possible, please also send us a screenshot, which will help us better understand the issue.

Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.
Bitdefender Customer Care Team

So after getting the to robot responses I responded back with 3 different emails and none of those got a response. The funny thing is Bitdefender believes that the only issues might have is A) the application could not delete a file successfully or B) the application could not detect the file successfully...

My issue was the application wanted to just delete what IT THOUGHT was a security risk and not give me a choice in the matter at all !!! This is the FIRST AV software suite I have ever seen that blindly just starts deleting files on your machine with no recourse or anyway to get the files back!!!

So...

Bad Bitdefender for deleting my files without warning and bad Bitdefender for not giving me settings to white list a file or directory!!! Goodby Bitdefender, I had you installed for just a few days and you managed to make me hate your software. I thought AVG was bad and since my subscription was up with them I tried looking at other's software. The first one I tried I didn't like the interface but the second one (Bitdefender) totally crippled me deleting files left and right without warning and no way to get them back! Looks like AVG was not that bad after all!

Tagged:

Comments

• MotherDawg
    edited July 2016

The Bitdefender Free Edition is like they say, you install it then forget about it but...

The interface has so little capabilities, you have zero control over it. Day to day usage becomes a struggle as it keeps doing it's thing regardless of your wishes. It's really discrete...

Until it starts a scan while your working and it slows things down to a crawl.

Until it decides to do an update while you're gaming online.

Until it decides this or that file is malicious and, click as you might on the Restore button, you're never gonna get your file back.

There is no possibility to schedule scans.

There is no possibility to schedule updates.

There is no possibility to control things in any useful way.

I had switched to it to get away from the Avast popups... but since Avast has a useful interface, I guess I will have to get use to the popups because I'm reinstalling Avast.

It's been fun... not really.