After a system scan is completed, clicking "Show Log" shows headings but won't show details.

After a system scan is completed, I clicked "Show Log" and the section headings appeared.

When I clicked any of the down arrows to see details, nothing happened. In the past, clicking a down arrow would show details.

What is wrong?

Best Answer

Answers

• DSperber
    DSperber ✭✭✭

Related to this question, I would like to know how to ever see the LOG from scans AFTER THE FACT??

Are these scan logs retained somewhere so that I can view them later, after the scan window automatically closes (which is what I have as my runtime option because my scans run overnight while I sleep I don't want the window to remain onscreen forever until I next get to my PC)?

Is there a standard method to view old logs (and probably to "clear/delete" one or more or all logs)?

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Hi Member,

To see after scan logs and its storage, have a look at below link from bitdefender

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1477/

All logs get stored in the same folder, from where you can delete a specific log also.

If this helps, kindly click on agree.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender tester for 2019 & 2020 products)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Dsperber, that is a good question and many of us would like the answer. It should be much easier to access that log file than it is.

• DSperber
    DSperber ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

The article certainly provides the physical folder location in which the logs for both the quick scans as well as system scans are physically stored. And if I want to view those logs after the actual scan is completed and the "view log" option is still on the screen, knowing this log folder location certainly makes that possible.

However I have set my "Post Scan Options" value to be "close scan window", which means there is no lingering scan-completed window left on the screen when the scan completes but rather the window automatically disappears. Therefore I will NEVER be able to push the "view log" button to actually view the log, since the window on which the "view log" button appears has disappeared.

So it is is very important to me that post-scan I have a simple, very straightforward and user-friendly method to view the log which just got produced other than pushing the "view log" button. At the moment the product does not provide any such user-friendly built-in way of having a GUI-like access of the log folder, such that I can then push something like the original "view log" button again... to simply view that very same log at a subsequent time, instead of using the "view log" button immediately when the scan completes.

Again, since I have opted for the window to disappear, I will NEVER have the "view log" option available to me. I suggest the product be enhanced to provide exactly such a feature, namely to have a built-in GUI-offered option (e.g. within the "Manage Scans" function itself) to navigate through the list of stored logs (showing the date/time of each log) and effectively push the "view log" button now, after the fact, rather than only allowing "view log" when the scan itself completes.

Secondly, the System Scan XML log itself shows nothing but the folders examined. The Quick Scan XML log shows absolutely nothing (it is about 4000 bytes, but presents a blank screen).

But for the System Scan log in particular, there is absolutely no mention in the log of WHAT WAS DISCOVERED, if anything! I don't know what might be discovered, but there certainly is nothing in the log aside from the folders that were scanned.

For example, I am specifically interested in the fully-qualified folder/file names of any "password protected" files which were not scanned because the needed password was not provided so that the file was skipped. I feel that this information should explicitly be shown in the log, which it is not. Furthermore, if I respond "skip this password-protected file and all subsequent password-protected files" such that the scan will now continue and never stop again awaiting a needed password, it seems expected that each and every such password-protected file that got ignored and not scanned would explicitly be enumerated in the log. Again... THEY ARE NOT.

So, just because the identified FAQ article shows me where logs are stored (and it is in a deep folder location in \ProgramData), that doesn't really provide what is sorely needed, which is a post-scan ability to review previously generated logs. In other words a post-scan "view log" function is needed, duplicating the original "view log" button right when the scan completes. Since I've opted to close the scan window when the scan completes I will NEVER have a "view log" option at that time. And that's why I need "view log" later.

Also, the log itself needs to provide more than just the folders scanned. It also needs to at least provide the names of the one or more password-protected files which got skipped.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited May 2020

Hi Member,

In that case you need to drop a feedback to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com ,which in turn will forward your query to development team, and if the development team feel like to improve the requested feature they will do it by a product update.

Regards

Flex

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)