Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

What to do when BD Antivirus Free installer says can't install because BD is already installed.

Options

I installed BD Antivirus Free, removed it and tried to reinstall it, but the installer says the program is already installed. A check of my apps shows it is not installed. I have run the BD Antivirus Free uninstaller several times and also several of the uninstallers designed for the trial versions of BD Antivirus because at one time that app was installed on my PC. I am using Windows 10. Apparently there are some leftovers from the previous removal attempts, but I don't know how to solve this problem. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hi Member,

Okay, so we need to go into safe mode now, to solve this issue.

1) Uninstall bitdefender agent and bitdefender free antivirus

2) Restart pc in safe mode (https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode)

3) As soon as desktop opens, assuming your windows drive is C, open below things in run command one by one :

C:\Program Files (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\Program Files (x86) (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\ProgramData (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\Users\{your pc name}\AppData\Local (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

4) Open run command again and run below command one by one :

temp ,delete all the files in the folder

%temp% ,delete all the files in folder

prefetch ,delete all the files in folder

5) Restart your pc in general mode by unticking the option that you selected to run the system in safe mode and then click apply.

6) Try reinstalling bitdefender free

Keep posted.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Spike
    Options

Hello Flex, thank you for trying to assist me.

I started my PC in safe mode and typed, "C:\Program Files" , minus the quotation marks, in the command prompt. After doing this I received the following message, "C:\Program Files is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file."

That was a surprise and a dead-end. Now what do I do to resolve this issue, so I can get on with the rest of your instructions?

Spike

• Flexx
    Options

You have to use the run command and not the cmd (command prompt) or manually go to the requested location.

Regards

Flex

• taims11
    Options

This is not working for me...

• Flexx
    Options

@taims11

Kindly create a new ticket for yourself. Not all solution work for everyone.

Regards

Flex

• Spike
    Options

Hello Flex,

Using the run command in safe mode, I deleted all files with the name Bitdefender or BD in the title. Now when I try to install Bitdefender I get the following message: "Cannot copy installer". Can you please tell me where I should go from here? Thank you for your help.

Spike

• Flexx
    Options

Well you did not had to use cmd (command prompt) for removing the folder. Instead you had to use the run command. The word "command" here meant run command. But it is also ok that you deleted it via cmd (command prompt).

Well did you tried and install the software in general mode, meaning restarting the pc in normal mode, since no software installation takes place in safe mode. Safe mode is only meant for troubleshooting.

If the issue persists, kindly drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com briefing them about the issue and solutions you have done till now.

Regards

Flex

• Spike
    Options

Flex, I did use the "run command" for the file deletion, as you suggested and it worked great. I was able to delete all the files with Bitdefender or BD in the titles. When I tried to reinstall Bitdefender in "general mode", I got the "cannot copy installer" message. I guess now I will try sending an email to support at bitsy@bitdefender.com as you suggested.

Thanks for all your help.

Spike