So It Seems The Security Widget Is Gone For Good?

Answers

• I don't understand the arrogance of companies who decide for their PAYING customers what they really want and don't want. I came to BitDefender from Kaspersky, but will return to them in a few weeks when my subscription expires. To remove a valuable feature without replacing it is a unique brand of arrogance. Sorry BD, but you shoot yourself in the foot don't expect people to hang around and feel sorry for you.

• As a 5 year user of Bitdefender I have come to rely on the Security Widget.The widget at a glance let's me know all is well on my system. I've come to rely on it.

It is one strong reason why I liked this software over the close competition, now I'll be comparing several other programs for equal value!

Always was easy to turn off if it annoyed you!

Hopefully someone in marketing will push the engineers to reconsider!

My subscription expires in 60 days!!

We'll see!

• I'm in the UK. Just updated BD to the latest version. The Widget has gone and I was looking to see how to set it on. Now it seems that is is no longer there. Surprised to find that the widget disappeared for some users way back in Sept (was that a Beta or a region thing?). It has only just happened to me and I am always updating BD to keep current. Shame as it has been said in the previous comments "how do you really know that BD is working?" without having to go in to the program.

I can get a small icon to show in the Windows taskbar.

Does that change when there are warnings to look at?

• I too have concerns. Don't know the real-time status anymore. Or are we being sold something that is not working? You have to dive into the program to find out what your status is. And by then it might be too late before you realized it. My subscription too will be coming due soon. As time progress all things must end. I foresee a mass exit from Bitdefender because of missing real-time status widget. Does anyone know of the next best anti-virus program that gives the end user a good fussy feeling that it is working or not?

• Actually, after searching around, I did find one. Apparently, not only does Comodo Internet Security (their highest tier PC security suite) come with a widget, it's quite extensive: https://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-451-4704-the-widget.html

• As a long time user of BD, I appreciated having the little round Security Widget displayed on the desktop for easy access. I never noticed a problem with system resources and would like to see it returned. I don't find right-clicking on the red BD icon in the taskbar and selecting Show as a convenient alternative and do not like the arrangement of choices compared to the widget.

Bring it back, Jack!!!!

• Hi...That's quite the widget. Maybe a little too much going on there. I'd be happy with a widget that just turned color depending on the severity of the issues. I always liked the widget but to be honest , I was a little surprised at the amount of negative reaction to its removal and I'm betting Bitdefender was too. I'm sure the powers that be are paying close attention and if people keep up this protest, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the widget return.

• I just had a look at Comodo Internet security and it seems that they must be aware that BD users are searching for alternatives...

They're now selling Comodo Internet security for 29,99USD/year.

• I just received my 2021 update and checked the forum, to see what happened to my favorite feature. Wow.

Decided like that it was no longer needed.

It is certainly very anoying, But the great thing is my subscription is up soon and after 5 + very satisfactory years I am leaving.

Thanks for those good years BD, And just like that, I am out of here.

• Why remove such a simple visual option to ensure that all is OK and that your PC is secure? This is not a good move by the development team.

• Please bring back the Security Widget ! It was one of the cool features and I used it a lot!

I looked at it just to see that everything is ok.. is that why the dev team concluded that it is not used ?

Not everybody drags and drop files there all the time..

PLEASE bring it back.

• After being a long time user of Bitdefender Total Security, please bring the security widget back this was one of the best features, and as said before those users that did not require it could turn it off, since this new update has been pushed out, I have also noticed I no longer get any notifications at all, so I'm very dissatisfied with this new version this is not what I have been subscribing to for many years, unfortunately I have only recently renewed my subscription with 314 days left.

After reading all the dissatisfied users regarding the security widget I can clearly see I am not alone.

Message to Bitdefender software developers please bring the security widget back along with the notifications.

• For your information

A dissusion would have taken place in the development service concerning a possible reintroduction of the Widget the admin spoke about it I attach you his post here

• Hello,

Bogdan here from the Product department.

My colleagues and I appreciate your feedback and the passion you show in helping us make our products better. We also love the widget, and it was not an easy decision to remove it from the product.

The main reason for doing so is that it creates a lot of issues in terms of performance on devices that are very used by most of our users and performance is one of our main concerns when releasing new versions. We prefer to remove functionality if we can't find a proper way to make it work smoothly for your devices, to avoid any interruptions of your work or leisure time.

However, following your feedback, we will do further tests and search for other solutions to make it work without a significant impact on your devices' performance because we would also be very happy to bring it back.

We'll keep you posted on our progress.

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

hello and thank you for your answers it is well adaptable on the 2021 version we have managed to do some tests and have been able to make it work, after those who want to use it know that they may be facing small problems this n is not new. so as it is a free option for everyone to activate or not quickly bring back please

I also have a video showing the use of the widget on the 2021 version very well suited.

I have a lot of clients and none have a slowdown as said although there will be a slight slowdown, those who use it know

• do you think it is still possible to have it in the 2021 version of the product? If you quickly find a solution

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited November 2020

Hi @BogdanB_BD

Well, instead of running multiple test, why not integrate the widget back into product and provide an option to enable and disable it in settings. This way user with high end PC specification can enable it and it will not cause any degradation in their system performance and the user with low end PC specification can disable it in order to maintain their system performance. By default you can set widget as disable in settings. I hope this may not cause an issue.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hello

the developer's speech does not hold, there are fewer functionalities because it was necessary to remove some, more speed and performance of the system, so the widget will be faster and therefore less greedy to operate alone.

why wait to reinstate it you can very well reinstate it and then do the tests and the solution to make it even faster.

thanks for restoring it in the next few days.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭

I concur with immediate reintroduction of the Security Widget. The user has the option to turn it off. If you want to lessen the resource load that it imposes on less capable computers, then by all means, do so. That would be great.

Right now, there are many of us who want the Security Widget back now, as it was/is presently. It was a significant factor in the decision to purchase, and renew subscriptions, to your otherwise very good product.

Respectfully Submitted,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Flexx
    edited November 2020

The bitdefender support is already aware of the widget thing. Atleast hundreds of email have been sent to bitdefender support. Bitdefender support works independent of community forums. Community forums have their own bitdefender representatives to resolve user query.

Reviewing and implementation are two different things. If the development teams plans on implementing the widget back again, the bitdefender support might get notified. So, since currently the widget is being reviewed, hence development team might not have updated the support team, due to which the support team relies on old clarification given to them by development team for the removal of widget.

So, again, if the development teams plans on implementing the widget back again, the bitdefender support might get notified.

Regards

Flex

• Flexx

That was like going into the future and seeing the reintroduction of widget in the product,lol . Well we still hold on the assumption of seeing the introduction widget in next few days.

Regards

Flex

• a @Andy_BD & @BogdanB_BD

To summarize and to send to the development department:

We therefore wish the immediate reinstatement of the Security Widget as it was in its last years, in parallel with its improvements.

This may be entirely possible given that some features were removed last July, giving the widget more capacity and system performance.

Thank you for doing the necessary quickly!

We continue petitions and mobilizations until its reintroduction

• The second phase of our mobilization begins

We contacted the product managers

Peter Craig

Bogdan carlescu

razvan cobzaru

To ask them to reintroduce the Security Widget with immediate effect.

• Also vote for the reintroduction of the Security Widget with immediate effect!

https://www.mesopinions.com/sondage/medias/reintroduction-widget-securite-bitdefender-reintroduction-bitdefender/13600

• Hello,

I am writing to you because my activity has been sanctioned for 1 week, the withdrawal of the Security Widget is currently compromising my activity with the go-mail.fr site, one of the promising e-mail address creation sites in Europe.

We have been using this one for many years.

Since the Widget has been shut down we have to constantly open the software and go to notifications, it's a colossal waste of my business time.

We have used this Widget constantly to keep us informed of the slightest notifications (Problem, injection etc .... or a failure on our system etc) our computers are constantly running and we are not always in front, and this Widget has allowed us to find out What's going on.

We have used its scan feature to scan customer files or folder contents much easier than opening the program or right clicking.

What to do ? Is this a temporary problem?

Cordial greetings

The staff of Go-mail.fr

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Hello

opening of a website for the reintroduction of the Security Widget it details the events that have occurred, take note of the facts!

Those in charge of development must be warned !

You will discover the many testimonies

Also come and post your opinion on what you think about the disappearance of the Security Widget

A notice form available on the site

• I have been with BD for more years than I care to admit. I have always depended on it to such a degree that I have always extended my licenses for many years out.

This last engine update removed my widget. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the program to make sure it was not a corrupted update. When that failed to return the widget, I came to this forum for answers thinking there was a "switch" hidden in plain sight that I was overlooking, only to find BD has removed it. I have never been more disappointed in a program than I am now with BD.

I am not a techie, nor am I in IT. But I do know my way around computers, having been working with them since they first came on the retail scene back in the 70's. My opinion is just that, my opinion, but it does carry some weight with my family, friends and co-workers so it does not just affect the devices my license covers. I have a question about the statement from BD developers stating that only 0.5% of users utilize the widget. How are they determining the percentage of users that actually use the widget? Personally, I opt out of any tracking and/or sharing options (reports, feedback , usage stats, etc.) in software whenever possible and includes BD.

Today's society is forcing our senior citizens to use alternative means of communication than they are familiar with. Most people have become comfortable with using computers, smartphones and tablets to replace the "land line" and "snail mail." But there are those that still need simplicity that the widget has provided. As for the widget, just because there is usually no need to interact with it (because it shows the system is protected and all is ok) does not mean it is not being "used." I use the widget constantly, as does everyone I know that uses the program (on my recommendation), to serve as a "call to action" when necessary. Luckily it has never been too often as BD has been able to stop most threats before becoming a problem. I cannot even remember a time that BD allowed a threat to become a problem, but I can remember multiple times when BD had alerted, through the widget, where my intervention was required to eradicate the threat.

Removing the widget is removing a major end-user functionality. I sincerely hope the developers listen to those that have actually taken the time to respond. I have posted my option in this instance because, giving BD the benefit of the doubt, do not feel they may have a real sense of the numbers who use it; and hope others like myself, who normally do not post in the hope there will be enough feedback to correct the situation without getting involved, will do the same.

• @Flexx so any news regarding the email sent to the ceo?

• Flexx

Not yet, still waiting !

I guess they are ignoring stuff.

Regards

Flex

• @Adriana_S I see you logging in but no comments regarding the Security widget, can you tell us more about it now.

• Kindly bring back the Security Widget. It was very useful, and a big selling point for the product.

Thank you!

• BRING BACK THE WIDGET !!!!!!!

• stay up-to-date with the latest news on the widget and ongoing actions. we must always and always remain mobilized don t forget we are the users we are those who make them live and exist.

• Another new update of the product that brings nothing, we note again and again the non-presence of the Security Widget. The mobilization therefore continues.

• The return of the Security Widget is announced, we have won the fight :)

https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/83687/the-return-of-the-security-widget

• It's coming back! Yes, you heard it here first!

We were so impressed by the outpouring of feedback about the widget over the past few months, that we took some time and worked out a plan for the widget's return!

We're making some improvements and giving it a facelift.

When will this all happen you ask?

It's going to be back in Q1 2021. It may seem like a long time, but next year is right around the corner.

What happened in the first place?

From our perspective, we tried to cut down the resource costs on our users' systems so that our product would run even more efficiently than it already does. As such, we looked at some usage stats for our features, compared that with how much they pulled in order to run and the widget came up as the main contender.

Naturally, it seemed like the right choice until we realized how much value it brought to our users. While we decided to bring it back, we also thought to give it a few touch ups on a technical side and a visual facelift to keep it in line with our visual language all throughout our UX.

Thank you all so much for your contributions and your passion. It's great to see so many people come together and voice their opinions over something they like.

Hop on over to this thread - where we're going to show you a sneak peak on what we're working on for the return of the widget.

• Thanks but why wait for the first strimsetre 2021? why not put online and offer an update directly for the next day which will be much better.

• Please read the When? paragraph on this post for more details on why it's coming in Q1 2021.

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Yes but he does not really explain why to wait for the first strimestre as I see he is ready after the capture.

There was a product update yesterday or before it could have been integrated at the same time right?

Because an update for Christmas would have been a great gift for the users

It will also be good to update this article for the Widget and also explain its comeback and make them comeback :)

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/32563/

• Flexx
    edited December 2020

@BogdanB_BD

1 more things that are to be reconsidered & 1 more thing to introduce.

1) The percentage of scan that has been removed while scanning the system.

2) Introduction of time left to scan in the scanning menu so that one can know how much time will be needed for a particular scan to be completed. This is inturn important for people that have busy schedule and need to go to different places, so they can have a specific known time as to when to run a manual scan at different intervals. This is different from scheduled scans.

And I guess this does not even takes and resources.

You only have to add 2 basic thing, reintroduction of percentage scan with a new introduction of time left to scan.

@Andy_BD, @Alex_A, kindly share this with development/ product team and get some information on this till the time @BogdanB_BD sees this comment here.

Regards

Flex

• This is a major relief! Great news, thank you. This truly saves me from having to put a ton of extra effort into helping the 30+ other people (clients, family, friends) that I help manage systems for and have purchased BD TS for years at my recommendation, and saves the trouble of them asking me to help end their BD TS subscription and look for a different product. I think BD might not even realize how many customers you just retained instead of losing. A true win/win for everyone!

Thank you to everyone who made the effort to make this happen - users here / BD staff / BD developers alike.

Using Bitdefender Total Security. Paying BD customer since 2012