Full system scan caused hard crash

Hi there
Like the thread title says: I attempted to run a full system scan on my PC on 01/May/2021 using Bitdefender Internet Security. After running for a few minutes the scan "froze" and seemingly caused a hard crash on the system:

- The mouse cursor remained visible and mobile, but the Bitdefender interface would not respond to attempts to close it.
- The date-time display in the task bar stopped working (it showed 23:18 when the scan became stuck, and was still showing 23:18 ten minutes later).
- The computer would not respond to ctrl-alt-del, alt-tab, etc.
- All other elements of the Windows UI were unresponsive.
- The computer's fans were running at full speed, suggesting 100% CPU usage.
- After waiting for 20 minutes and observing no change in Bitdefender, a hard reset (holding the power button to force shut-down) was the only way to regain control of the PC.

Bitdefender was fully up-to-date and had run one previous system scan successfully. Windows 10 had been fully updated prior to the installation of Bitdefender. I was not running any other security software in parallel with Bitdefender.

Is this a known issue with current versions of Bitdefender Internet Security? I switched to Bitdefender after being badly let down by Avast's software and support, and it's very worrying that this has happened only two weeks into a two year licence.

Comments

• FlexxFlexx ✭✭✭✭

There is currently no issue pertaining to bitdefender product. The scan may sometime use more resources if there are other background services running. Since bitdefender has to compete with the sharing of the resources with the other background processes, and if your system requirements are not met with minimal system requirements needed to run bitdefender product, it may end up in hanging of the system.

Kindly collect bitdefener logs (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8919/) & drop an email to bitdefener support at [email protected] with your query. Also attach the logs with the same email.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

• > @_lex said:
    > Is this a known issue with current versions of Bitdefender Internet Security? I switched to Bitdefender after being badly let down by Avast's software and support, and it's very worrying that this has happened only two weeks into a two year licence.
    You should note that it is better to have a new cpu like core i3 8100 or i5 6100 or i3 6100or better for example or ryzen cpus.(I mean your cpus have at least 4 core and 3.2ghz for good working when using bitdefender).
    I mean that using old cpus like intel pentium (r) core duo 2.7 ghz or 3 ghz not recommend for bitdefender and for bitdefender it is necessary to run on ssd to don't slowdown your pc.
    I don't say you can't use it on hdd but it is very ideal to use it on ssd (because forexample its startup is take much time even on ssd and in normal using may lead to hanging or some slowdowns for your system if you use hdd).
    And for ram it is good to have at least 6 or 8 gigabyte or ram.
    and I should note that I don't have your problem when I select my hdd partitions to scan but I think bitdefender have some problems on scanning the hdd drives because it have make some bad sounds and high sounds of hdd that I think it is not happened on other antivirus product like kaspersky and eset.
    One of the way they can fix this problem is that they use smart scan method that forexample eset use that and it detect all of the virus if its database has them.(I mean this method works greatly and bitdefender can use that scan way.)
  • I also have this issue when running a system scan. At some point during the scan, various elements of Windows will freeze until eventually the entire system has locked up. This occurs regardless of the scan's priority. It even occurs when the system is totally idle, causing screensavers to freeze.

I have checked Event Viewer but it shows nothing other than the unexpected shutdown.

These are my system specs:

• Intel Core i5-9500 (6 cores/6 threads, 3.00GHz base/4.4GHz turbo)
    • 16GB DDR4 2666 RAM (dual-channel 2x8GB)
    • Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB
    • 512GB NVMe SSD boot drive
    • 2TB NVMe SSD
    • 480GB SATA II SSD
    • 1TB SATA III HDD
  • Since bitdefender has to compete with the sharing of the resources with the other background processes, and if your system requirements are not met with minimal system requirements needed to run bitdefender product, it may end up in hanging of the system.

• I have a BEAST of an HTPC with Win 10 64 Ent, 64GB RTX 2080 11GB Intel 10980XE with 18/36 cores - full system scan CRASHES with nothing else running - not acceptable - and bitdefender's manual 'gather logs' method is also not acceptable - when a crash occurs the customer should have the EASY button to click to send all the logs up to bitdefender - no manual steps needed - fix your product and your process

• I am another customer who is having a full system crash because of this. Overclocked gaming rig, so this should definitely not be happening! This needs to get sorted, 4th May seems like a long time for something like this to be ongoing.

• I am facing similar issue, basically Bit defender System Scan (Full Scan) does not work as of now.
    My system has SSD, 16 GB RAM & I5-10400 CPU
  • same here with bitdefenders full scan
  • Add me to the list. PC far exceeds minimum specifications. Hangs on scheduled full scan that occurs each day at 4am while I am sleeping. No other apps/activities running. No change noted when I set scan priority to Low, Auto, or High. Frustrating.
  • I also have a fullsystem scan crash. My Computer is a modern day build. I update regularly. I updated before doing a fullsystem scan. I have had this happen numerious times. I am leaning towards changing providers, if this issue is not resolved. My virus scanner should be the least finniky software on my system, let alone be the factor of my system crashes. I had no other software running this should have been a smooth operation. Please Bitdefender look in to this trend.
  • I have over 350 endpoints running BitDefender. Last week one started locking up when BitDefender did it's nightly scan. Scan starts at 9pm after business hours. At 6am the machine is unresponsive. Uninstall BD and everything works fine. Reinstalled, locks up when scan starts. Machine has been running BD for about 10 months. i7-7700, 32GB DDR4, 500GB SSD
  • I have ten BD Internet Security licenses for 3 years. This issue had better be taken seriously besides the usual dribble about system resources. some of us out here have a clue and know how to recognize something in the software behavior that wasn't there before. I am having to avoid full system scans in todays scamming/hacking environment because my antivirus software locks up Windows 10 and forces a hard reboot? Unacceptable. No other operation / software on computer locks up system (not a memory or hardware problem). Unfortunately, as of today , no recognition that someone at BD is taking this seriously? After researching this for some time I was pointed to Intel Management Engine and multiprocessor issues set up for Network Administrators and remote access WOL. after applying a Intel ME BIOS patch, issue resolved for 2 months. Then today after Bitdefender update and reboot, this issue has happened twice. If your trying to drive customers away come renewal time continue to do nothing to assist with this issue. I will be seriously reconsidering renewal at this time. Please help with this issue and do not remove the Widget as it helps senior users.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit 10.0.19043 build19043 not OEM

CPU: i7 9700K 8 core not overclocked

Memory: DDR4 64GB Corsair not overclocked

SSD: Samsung 980 Pro Nvme not compressed boot drive

Storage Disk: Western Digital HDD 2 TB

TPM: TPM 2.0 enable and secure boot

PS This issue stops scan clock and every time I have noticed a lock up, scan was on SysWOW 64 or Windows update files.

• I have ten BD Internet Security licenses for 3 years. This issue had better be taken seriously besides the usual dribble about system resources. some of us out here have a clue and know how to recognize something in the software behavior that wasn't there before. I am having to avoid full system scans in todays scamming/hacking environment because my antivirus software locks up Windows 10 and forces a hard reboot? Unacceptable. No other operation / software on computer locks up system (not a memory or hardware problem). Unfortunately, as of today , no recognition that someone at BD is taking this seriously? After researching this for some time I was pointed to Intel Management Engine and multiprocessor issues set up for Network Administrators and remote access WOL. after applying a Intel ME BIOS patch, issue resolved for 2 months. Then today after Bitdefender update and reboot, this issue has happened twice. If your trying to drive customers away come renewal time continue to do nothing to assist with this issue. I will be seriously reconsidering renewal at this time. Please help with this issue and do not remove the Widget as it helps senior users.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit 10.0.19043 build19043 not OEM

CPU: i7 9700K 8 core not overclocked

Memory: DDR4 64GB Corsair not overclocked

SSD: Samsung 980 Pro Nvme not compressed boot drive

Storage Disk: Western Digital HDD 2 TB

TPM: TPM 2.0 enable and secure boot

PS This issue stops scan clock and every time I have noticed a lock up, scan was on SysWOW 64 or Windows update files.

• I have the same issue, hard crash caused seconds after starting bitdefender full scan.

Managed to have a successful quick scan that showed no problems. I have Windows 7 32-bit

• Yep same issue. Powerful desktop but everytime i run a full scan it freezes my whole PC.

• Hi All, same issue here. Any solution so far?

Im in touch with BitDeff support but no luck yet.

We are using SSD M.2 disk, i tried to install same Windows image to SSD and all scans were without issue so I guess its related to SSD M.2.

Support still wants some logs but Im not able to generate it once computer freeze.

If there is someone with solution please let me know. Thx a lot.

• I have same issue, I have an Acer laptop aspire VX15 (has i7 cpu with 16 gigs of ram), the system freezes up after about always 20 min into the scan, I can still move the mouse curser but nothing responds when I click on it and even Ctrl Alt Del does nothing, only option is to do a hard reset (the scan does sometimes complete without issue but it freezes my system more times then it successfully scans).

I bought total security in June for 3 years but only have the issue a couple of days now, scanner worked without issues before so it's unlikely that it's an issue with my laptop; maybe a bug in the latest version of bitdefender?

Could you guys from bitdefender please let us know if you are aware of this and if there is a workaround until you fixed the issue?

• I have same issue, I have an Acer laptop aspire VX15 (has i7 cpu with 16 gigs of ram), the system freezes up after about always 20 min into the scan, I can still move the mouse curser but nothing responds when I click on it and even Ctrl Alt Del does nothing, only option is to do a hard reset (the scan does sometimes complete without issue but it freezes my system more times then it successfully scans).

I bought total security in June for 3 years but only have the issue a couple of days now, scanner worked without issues before so it's unlikely that it's an issue with my laptop; maybe a bug in the latest version of bitdefender?

Could you guys from bitdefender please let us know if you are aware of this and if there is a workaround until you fixed the issue?

• FlexxFlexx ✭✭✭✭

@Mike_BD, @Andy_BD

Kindly have a look.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

• I have the same issue!!!

I've been using Bitdefender for past 5 years and never had any problems with the scan on any of our devices.

This problem only seem to arise recently. Please help

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.