Can Bitdefender prevent usb drive connections?

Can Bitdefender prevent usb drive connections? I ask because I tried to connect two different external usb drives to my PC (Win 10 - 64, up to date) and it will not read them. I use the drives for back up.

Tagged:

Answers

• Hello @Nosrac55 and welcome to the Community!

Bitdefender will not prevent usb drive connections, but will scan such external devices to make sure they are clean.

If the USB drive connections are not visible, this is not related to the Antivirus. I would recommend restarting the device, as a first step.

Let me know if you have found the root cause.

Stay safe.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• USB mass storage spontaneously stopped working for me last night. It happened on my mother's computer a few days ago too. Drives are only mounted if they're plugged in during startup. Anything plugged in (including after being removed) shows an error (code 38) in Device Manager. And, of course, nothing shows up in Disk Manager.

Non-storage devices (keyboard, mouse) are unaffected. This has effected all USB storage devices. Flash drives, external HDDs, and even an external DVD burner.

This morning while troubleshooting, it occurred to me that the only thing the two computers have in common is BitDefender Free - at least it's the only thing that has auto updates enabled, which is the only way something could break without user intervention. (Windows update is disabled on both machines.)

So I uninstalled BitDefender from my mother's computer and her problem went away after a reboot. Tried it on my computer and fixed it there too.

Go figure. It's weird because I'm posting this over a fortnight after OP started having the problem and another member of my household had the issue days before me. If BD was to blame, it should've happened to everyone at the same time.

• Hi,

I am having the same issue.

USB mass storage with error code 38 when resuming from sleep.

Was looking online for a solution, uninstall driver, reinstall driver, reboot. Works until next sleep. Then I stumbled on multiple posts where the solution is to uninstall BitDefender Free.

• Hello,

Based on your description of the situation encountered, I would recommend contacting the Technical Support Teams, as more information might be required to troubleshoot this. The engineers may request some logs from you, to determine if Antivirus Free is causing this.

@JDogg I have noticed you also have a Total Security subscription in your account, valid until April 2022. To benefit from this paid subscription, you can allocate the protected devices to it. Below you will find detailed steps on how to do this:

This won't necessary solve the issue you have encountered, but you can benefit from the paid subscription that covers multiple operating systems, such as Windows, MacOs, Android and iOS.

I am unsure at this point if this is an issue that can affect multiple Antivirus Free users, thus it is best to have our engineers investigate.

You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Stay safe.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited February 2022

In regards to Antivirus Free, kindly note that this edition has been withdrawn at the end of December 2021.

Support for this edition is still available until June 30th, 2022. After this date, the product will also reach its End of Support Life.

Thank you for your understanding.

• @Alexandru_BD Just installed the "total security" version. (A gigabyte of downloads? Seriously?)

The problem hasn't come back yet, but that could be pure coincidence.

Still dealing with the bloat of features I don't need, so I'm not sure if I'll be renewing my subscription.

The free version was so much simpler.

• > @JDogg said:
    > USB mass storage spontaneously stopped working for me last night. It happened on my mother's computer a few days ago too. Drives are only mounted if they're plugged in during startup. Anything plugged in (including after being removed) shows an error (code 38) in Device Manager. And, of course, nothing shows up in Disk Manager. Non-storage devices (keyboard, mouse) are unaffected. This has effected all USB storage devices. Flash drives, external HDDs, and even an external DVD burner.
    > This morning while troubleshooting, it occurred to me that the only thing the two computers have in common is BitDefender Free - at least it's the only thing that has auto updates enabled, which is the only way something could break without user intervention. (Windows update is disabled on both machines.)
    > So I uninstalled BitDefender from my mother's computer and her problem went away after a reboot. Tried it on my computer and fixed it there too. Go figure. It's weird because I'm posting this over a fortnight after OP started having the problem and another member of my household had the issue days before me. If BD was to blame, it should've happened to everyone at the same time.

Exact same thing with me recently. BD Free machines will not recognize external hard drive or thumb drives unless they are plugged in prior to boot up. Non BD Free AV machines have no issues. Spent alot of time on this issue and then it dawned on me BD Free is the problem. Posts here confirmed my suspicion.
  • I have been trying to discover the cause of this problem for Days. I have re-installed drivers and tried numerous things to find out why after I use a USB flash drive storage device and remove it, I get the code 38 error on entering another PnP storage device. I'm not running the free version; I have Total Security and have used it for years. This has left me with no choice but to uninstall Bitdefender after more than ten years of faithful use of their products. The new USB immunizer has immunized my use of any USB device at all.

• Hello guys,

Please check my comment in the thread below:

This is a known issue now.

Will get back on the thread with updates, as soon as they are made available to us.

Best regards.

• Today my BitDefender Total Security made the same in my desktop and my laptop....

Just when I was working with 2 external hard disks...

It works on my laptop only when I uninstalled BitDefender...

And, when reinstall... the problem came back...

• I have the same problem with 3 of my laptops today (2 of which are running Windows 10 and one on Win 11 -- all 64 bit PCs), all due I think to a Bitdefender update applied yesterday. I manually selected "Update Now" and got that update yesterday. I am using BD Total Security. Never had an issue before yesterday's update. The issue I see is exactly what you are seeing:

Problem: Inserting flash drive wont’ show up in File explorer or in xTerm. Only way to get it to show up is to reboot then insert flash drive.  I can successfully eject it after that first insertion. Subsequent inserts give audible feedback that it has been inserted, but the flash drive does not light up nor does it show up in file explorer or in xTerm.

Then I went to DeviceManager and saw this...<note the warning sign on USB mass storage device>. Y'all are probably seeing the same thing.

I am currently working with BD tech support to see how to fix. Sounds like everyone was able to regain functionality by uninstalling BD, but it also sounds like the problem re-emerged when re-installing BD?

Whatever the issue is, it appears to be focused on that recent update. I will post a comment if we can figure out how to solve this.

• Update: BD tech support will send you this link: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/28557/

I did all the items listed there to deselect the modules, with the hope that this will help identify the problem. After doing so, and rebooting, it did NOT solve the issue. Just wanted to pass that along.

• Hello guys,

Thank you for reporting this. I hereby confirm that it's indeed a bug and other users have encountered this and reported the situation to our Support Teams as well.

What we have learned so far after gathering user feedback and testing:

Whenever a USB stick is inserted in the computer -> first time after boot, it will work.

If the USB stick is removed from the computer and re-inserted it or inserted a different USB stick, the expected result would be that the USB stick is detected by Windows and works normally.

However, the actual result is that the USB stick is not detected (drive doesn't appear in File explorer) and device manager shows error 38 for that particular device.

Other observations found by the engineers:

• issue does not occur with Bitdefender uninstalled;
    • according to reports, the issue started occurring since 26.0.12.52;
    • turning off modules + device scanning does not help, issue persists;
    • makes no difference if device scanning is on or not, if you let it finish or not, or if you properly eject the device or just pull it out.

Our developers are currently working on a fix. Your feedback is much appreciated, and I have forwarded your input to the technicians and this will prove very useful in the troubleshooting process. There is no ETA for a fix yet, but the developers are confident a resolution will be found soon.

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for your patience. I will get back to you with updates, as they come.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards.

• I'm having this issue too with a purchased license of Bitdefender Total Security both in Windows 11 and Windows 10 (fresh installed Windows 10 last night because i thought this was due to Windows 11...).

Bitdefender Total Security

Compilation 26.0.12.52

Last updated 03/03/22 22:15

Threat information updates 10796583

Engine version 7.91317

• Update: BD pushed an update in the past 24 hours. I did the update this morning and it fixed my problem discussed above! I am so glad it is fixed. I spent a good portion of the day yesterday trying to verify that BD was indeed causing the problem. Hopefully everyone reading this has had a chance to get the latest update.

• PS - The update today that I did put me at version 26.0.12.56. If you are wondering what version of software you currently have installed, click on the life-ring at the top right of your app and the product info will appear in the bottom of that page. So you hopefully will be happy with 26.0.12.56.

• Hello,

I hereby confirm the bug was fixed.

A big thank you for everyone that shared their input on this bug. The information was very valuable for the developers, as they managed to deploy the update containing the fix on Friday evening. It took some time for the update to reach all machines, but we have received confirmation that by Saturday morning, the fix was available for the entire userbase.

I remember seeing this thread were this issue was reported in the middle of February, but at the time I was unaware this could affect multiple users and I had no insight of similar reports coming from the Support Teams. However, it was soon revealed that we were getting multiple reports in various places and after gathering more information, the bug was acknowledged and the engineers moved in.

@Nosrac55 I think you might be the first member that reported this in the Community, therefore I owe you appreciation for your contribution and apologies for the delayed resolution.

Best regards.

• After running Bitdefender update; I too had the problem of devices connected to USB not being recognized. After trying several things suggested by Bitdefender support; I was instructed to create some logs... I had other things to do at the time so I uninstalled and reinstalled Bitdefender and the problem was fixed. This was the third problem I have had after running Bitdefender update. The first problem was Bitdefender update installed a Toolbar add-in into my email client and for some reason my incoming messages were being marked as "Read" as soon as they arrived. Consequently I was late in responding to some messages because due to the bug, I didn't realize there were new messages that I hadn't read. I contacted Bidefender and was instructed to uninstall the Bitdefender Toolbar add-in from my email client and that fixed the problem. It's infuriating that update will install unwanted items, and worse that the items cause problems. From now on I will uncheck the Product Update and only do Threat Information Update. I have never had security software updates cause problems; I don't intend on renewing Bitdefender.

• Just changed over from Eset for a similar problem with flash drives showing as not-accessible and read-only, only to find the same problem with Bitdefender. What gives?

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@TonyG

Hello.

-- STEP 1 --

Repair Bitdefender, by following these steps:

-- STEP 2 --

If the instructions from Step 1 didn't help, uninstall the Bitdefender program using the Uninstall Tool:

or

It will completely remove the program.

Next, reinstall Bitdefender from your Bitdefender Central account and see if the issue has been solved, as reinstalling the program usually solves the issues.

-- STEP 3 --

If the instructions from Step 2 didn't help, follow the instructions in this step.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue

and create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail:

or

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log file you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log file will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.