Why are options disabled on Protection/Antivirus/Advanced page?

Options

Why are the various action options disabled on the Protection/Antivirus/Advanced page of my newly installed Bitdefender program. All of the options on that page are greyed out and cannot be activated/deactivated???

Answers

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Options

Hello.

STEP 1

First, uninstall the Bitdefender program using the Uninstall Tool:

It will completely remove the program.

Next, reinstall Bitdefender from your Bitdefender Central account and see if the issue has been resolved, as reinstalling usually solves the issue(s).

STEP 2

If Step 1 didn't help, follow the next instructions.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue and create a log on your PC/laptop using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail here (scroll down to the bottom of the page):

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log file you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screeshot(s) and the log file will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

• Thanks for the reply. As instructed, I deleted and re-installed the BD program. I then discovered that when I navigate to the PROTECTION/ANTIVIRUS/ADVANCED page while logged into the ADMINISTRATOR account, the various options on the Advanced page are fully operational. However, when I navigate to that ADVANCED page while logged into a USER account, the various options on that page are all greyed out and cannot be activated/deactivated. Is this normal? Is the program designed so that only the Administrator can change the settings on the PROTECTION/ANTIVIRUS/ADVANCED page? And, if not, what should I do to enable the operation of the ADVANCED page settings while logged on to a USER account? Thanks for a detailed reply/instruction.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited April 2022
    Options

Kindly perform below steps & see if this helps you in anyway.

1) Uninstall the bitdefender product with add/ remove programs option in windows. 

2) To remove the remaining files download and run Bitdefender product uninstaller (https://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/Bitdefender_2022_Uninstall_Tool.exe)

3) Restart PC in safe mode (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234)

4) As soon as desktop opens, assuming your windows drive is C, open below things in run (windows icon + R) command one by one :

C:\Program Files (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\Program Files (x86) (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\ProgramData (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\Users\{your pc name}\AppData\Local (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

5) Open run command and run below command one by one :

temp ,delete all the files in the folder

%temp% ,delete all the files in folder

prefetch ,delete all the files in folder

6) Open registry editor through run command (windows icon + R) and then type regedit. Once registry editor opens, click on edit -> find, make sure to tick mark match whole strings only. Type bitdefender in search box and click find next. If any file or folder under name of bitdefender is found, delete it. Continue searching the registry and deleting until the search will report no registry keys found.

7) Restart your PC in general mode by unticking the option that you selected to run the system in safe mode and then click apply.

8) Try reinstalling bitdefender security software.

If the issue persists, kindly follow the resolution provided by @Gjoksi79_

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Thanks for the reply, but please answer my question; ie., should the program features on the Advanced page be accessible from a USER account, or are they only available when logged in to the ADMINISTRATOR account???

I don't want to waste time performing the above steps if the program is already performing normally. Thanks.

• I'm having the same experience (ie., ADVANCED page features not accessible from standard USER account) on each of the 2 computers on which I've installed the BF program so far.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited April 2022
    Options

The one reason can be due to the security product type you are using. If you are using bitdefender antivirus plus, then the features of bitdefender internet security and bitdefender total security will be greyed out, if you are using bitdefender internet security, the features of bitdefender total security will be greyed out, if you are using bitdefender total security then all the features will be enabled.

For better understanding can you share the image of each section with us here, the product you are using and the image of greyed part.

As far as the admin and user privileges goes, that depends on what privileges you have provided to the software. Most of the time only the admins privileges can make changes in the bitdefender software.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• I'm using BD total security, and this is the first time I've used any BD product. ALL of the selections on the ADVANCED page are greyed out when I access while logged in as standard user. Same thing happens on each of the two computers on which I've installed the program. Screen shot attached per your request.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@ple12345

Hello again.

It seems that STEP 1 (uninstall/reinstall) from my comment didn't solve your issue.

It's time for you to take STEP 2 (contact Bitdefender Consumer Support) from my comment.

Don't get me wrong, but i think that only the support/technical engineers can help you.

Regards.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @ple12345,

This is the expected behavior in Bitdefender, because only the admin can adjust the advanced settings of the antivirus. To solve this, you can transform the user account into an administrator. There is no other workaround available in the product.

Best regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user