Installed BD free version on Win 7

Sunsetlover8
edited June 2022 in Antivirus Free

Hi all,

Last week I installed the free version 26.0.18 on Windows 7, despite the announcement of Dec. '21.

So the first thing to ask, will the definition updates stop on June 30?

I have a couple of other questions. I watch task manager religiously. I noticed 10 BD processes running (screenshot attached). What is this last one, WSC Communicator?

Also, a full system scan (of 40 GB of programs) was taking an hour and 45 min (!), before I stopped it. Is this normal? Have you guys timed the full system scan?

Thank you!

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

The processes of bitdefender showing up in task manager is normal and they all are valid.

Additionally, the first scan usually takes around and hour or so to complete because bitdefender scans for each file on the device inclusive of files inside the archive which makes it take a little longer time to scan.

Additionally, the scan time also depends on whether you have a HDD installed or an SSD installed with the amount of RAM and Processor that your device has.

Once the first scan is completed successfully, the future scan will take less time to complete since a cache copy of scan files are created on the system.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hello @Sunsetlover8,

In addition to @mrmirakhur 's post, I would like to mention that the announcement made in December refers to the previous Antivirus Free, that was indeed discontinued. Bitdefender has since launced a new and improved free version this year, called Antivirus Free for Windows and I assume this is the one you have, as the previous version is no longer available for download. So, the virus signatures will be updated as usual and the changelog for new releases will apply for the free version as well.

You can find out more about the new free version by checking the articles below:

In regards to scanning, the speed of a full System Scan depends on many factors such as system specifications, large volumes of data, the computer resources are in use by another software, it’s the first scan since installing Bitdefender and, most importantly, the number of archives & over-compressed files/backups.

With every system scan, Bitdefender will index the files that have already been scanned and the scan time will greatly decrease.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Sunsetlover8
    edited June 2022

Thank you both very much. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, as I had not seen the notifications.

@Alexandru_BD One thing I don't like about this free version is that one cannot select the automatic "threat actions" to be taken when it detects malicious files. The button is greyed out. Also I don't see that it's possible to "pause AV for 5-10 min".

• Hi,

Bitdefender will automatically take the recommended actions on detected files. Only if there remain unresolved threats, you will be prompted to choose the actions to be taken on them.

A feature to pause the antivirus is not available by design and this also applies for the paid version. There were discussions on this topic in the forums, but the concept has been parked by the developers for now, as it raises some security concerns:

Best regards

• Thanks very much for the info. A couple of more observations/questions if you will. From the background processes I listed, which ones can be safely stopped? When Windows loads, just these processes take up about 600-700 MB of memory. When scanning, that can easily go up to 900 MB.

What do Discoverysrv.exe and wsccommnicator_ls.exe do?

The scans in general are very slow and CPU-hogging. Just now it finished a scan of an SD card, 21 GB of videos and photos primarily, in 1 hour and 5 min. I wonder what people do who have TBs of data. And all along at 50%-60% of CPU.

• You are most welcome @Sunsetlover8. Sure, we're here to help.

wsccommnicator_ls.exe doesn't seem to be part of the antivirus. Do you have any other security solutions installed on the device?

The speed of a scan depends on many factors such as system specifications, large volumes of data, the computer resources are in use by another software, if it’s the first scan since installing Bitdefender and most importantly, the number of archives & over-compressed files/backups. With every system scan, Bitdefender will index the files that have already been scanned and the scan time will greatly decrease.

A bit off topic, but here's a trick: to speed up a System Scan in general, if system resources are not a concern, the following solution may be considered: run the scan in high priority mode. This will instruct Bitdefender to compete for system resources on equal terms to other programs and decrease the time needed for the scan process to finish.

1. Click Protection on the navigation menu on the Bitdefender interface.

2. In the Antivirus panel, click Open.

3. Click the ••• button next to System Scan, then choose Edit.

4. In the Manage Scans window, use the drop-down menu to change Scan task priority from Low to High.

5. Click Next, then click Save.

6. Press Run Scan and wait for the System Scan to finish.

In regards to slowdowns and high CPU usage, I would recommend to have a look at the article below, for the most common reasons behind this:

However, to be 100% sure what is causing this, a more in-depth investigation of the machine is required and this can only be achieved with the help of our Support engineers. Should you wish to get in touch with them, head to the link below and choose one of the contact methods available at the bottom of the page:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

I hope the information is helpful.

Stay safe and have a wonderful weekend ahead!

• Thanks Alexandru. I'm very puzzled why you don't recognize that process. When I right click on it->Properties, I get the attached photo.

What about DiscoverySrv?

I'll try the "high priority" mode in scans and report.