Scheduled scans don't run (still)

If I had a pound for every time a scheduled scan in Bitdefender actually ran, I'd have £3.

What is so difficult about this? Time and time again I'm told to reinstall, uninstall, recreate, delete and then .... nothing. I don't understand why such a critical feature of an AV application keeps being broken.

I think I've been putting up with this shonky app for too long. No wonder it's so cheap on Amazon.

Comments

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

Open your Bitdefender program, go to Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and see if any of these options: "Activate profiles automatically", "Work Profile", "Movie Profile", "Game Profile", "Public Wi-Fi Profile" or "Battery Mode Profile" is enabled/activated.

When Work Profile is enabled/activated:

- All Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups are disabled

- Automatic Update is postponed

- Scheduled scans are postponed

- Search Advisor is disabled

- Special offers notifications are disabled

When Movie Profile is enabled/activated:

- Boost performance on video players

- Optimize product settings for Movie profile

- Postpone background programs and maintenance tasks

- Postpone Windows Automatic Updates

- Adjust power plan settings for movies

When Game Profile is enabled/activated:

- All Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups are disabled

- Search Advisor is disabled

- Special offers notifications are disabled

When Public Wi-Fi Profile is enabled/activated:

- Advanced Threat Defense is turned on

- The Bitdefender Firewall is turned on, and the following settings are applied to your wireless adapter:

- Stealth mode - ON

- Network type - Public

- The following settings from Online Threat Prevention are turned on:

- Encrypted web scan

- Fraud protection

- Phishing protection

When Battery Mode Profile is enabled/activated:

- Bitdefender Automatic Update is postponed

- Security Widget is turned off

Regards.

• Thanks for your reply.

Automatic profiling is turned on, so probably all the time one of those profiles is active apart from Public wifi and battery mode.

Postponed is one thing, but scheduled scans never ever run. I've had this issue before. Had to completely remove Bitdefender and reinstall. A scan ran once on a schedule and then never again.

So the solution would seem to be to stop using profiles in order to use scheduled scans.

I find Bitdefender pop-up messages overly intrusive even with profiles active, so I'm not sure if I could cope with the full onslaught.

I'll just have to manually initiate scans until I move to a better thought-out solution. Bitdefender is cheap and cheerful but the bugs and idiosyncrasies are getting tiresome and technical support is patchy to say the least.

• Same issue here. No profiles are enabled and "Activate profiles automatically" is turned off.

They ran consistently at the scheduled time before, but stopped working some time ago. This is happening on two home PCs.

Something strange is that if I go into modify the time or turn the automatic scan off, it doesn't update or change the current one I have set to run at 4am. Is this some kind of strange permission issue, or are config files not being updated properly?

• Hi @Hybr1dMoments,

If we rule out the Profiles, then there could be an issue here.

However, the engineers will require logs from the machine to further investigate. Unfortunately, this cannot be achieved on the forum. You can create a log file on your Windows device using the Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

Afterwards, get in touch with our engineers by opening a ticket where you can attach the logs. Access the link below and select the e-mail contact channel:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I did submit logs, and support mentioned remnants of an old Avira installation which they thought may be conflicting with BF scheduled scans.

Before I did this (no active files, but lots of Avira references in registry) I turned off the 'Postpone maintenance and updates' option under Profiles - Work Profile. This, so far, seems to have solved the issue for me but I shall continue to monitor.

• Strike that.

Bitdefender still fails to run scheduled scans.

Yet another ticket opened, they'll tell me to reinstall again ….

• Hello @Nige,

Keep in mind that you can also reply on the previous ticket and this will automatically reopen the case. This will make the troubleshooting history visible, so that you won't have to go through the same steps all over again. The agents will see what has been done up to a certain point and they can advise further based on the available information.

Regards

• Thanks.

The scheduled tasks still fail to run, so I'll do that.

I'm going to test on a brand new clean PC soon, so if the problem still occurs ...

• Nope. Technical support’s first response to my resurrected ticket it to uninstall and reinstall. Again.

• And now Bitdefender Central doesn't install Bitdefender at all.

Stuck on Pending for 10 minutes, then reverts to "This device is at risk".

Great stuff!

• Downloading free trial to see if that works.

Bitdefender is the only AV that I've used over 25 years that needs to be reinstalled multiple times a year.

• Re-installed Bitdefender (again).

Turned off Profiles (which reduces BF usefulness for me imho)

Create scheduled scan to run at system startup.

Restart system

Scheduled scan fails to run.

I've just created a scheduled scan to run in 20 minutes time. I won't be holding my breath.

And I have been here so many times before.

• New PC. Windows 11.

Scheduled scans still don't run.

Right click context menu and run Bitdefender on a file does nothing either.

Still the app will not turn off notifications. I have lost count of the times I've been asked if my connection is an Office or Home connection. The app still pointlessly tells me that it's protecting me in work mode.

Support just repeats the same old rinse and repeat.

There's no point having a guard dog if it won't do as it's told and keeps barking at the cat next door.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited February 2023

Hi @Nige

Could you post a screenshot of the contextual scan? Do you not have that option displayed when you right-click a folder?

Those scans do go pretty fast, so depending on the folder/file size, it may seem like it's not doing anything.

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Hello @Nige,

Regarding "the app will not turn off notifications. I have lost count of the times I've been asked if my connection is an Office or Home connection. The app still pointlessly tells me that it's protecting me in work mode", have you tried to disable the Wi-Fi Security Advisor? This should supress such notifications.

To turn on or off the Wi-Fi Security Advisor notifications:

1. Click Protection on the navigation menu on the Bitdefender interface.

2. In the Vulnerability pane, click Open.

3. Go to the Settings window and turn on or off the Wi-Fi Security Advisor switch.

Regards