Carbonite: Is Gen:Variant.Lazy.100712 Malware False Positive Or Not?

Bitdefender keeps putting out the statement:

The file C:\Program Files (x86)\Carbonite\Carbonite Backup\00004811.tmp is infected with Gen:Variant.Lazy.100712. The threat has been successfully blocked, your device is safe.

Carbonite is my backup software and I presume that when it is backing up files that it creates the 00004811.tmp file. This file is never there when I go look for it, and Bitdefender does not state that it has quarantined the file. The backup completes normally.

I am wondering if this is a FALSE POSITIVE for some reason. This is has just started happening, after running both Bitdefender and Carbonite for ages.

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• There are no hidden files in the folder currently. I will check it tomorrow morning, when it is doing the backups, to see if that file is created.

Thanks for the info.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

Only the malware researchers at Bitdefender Labs can help you with the issue.

You should report the file(s) as false positive to Bitdefender Labs here:

You could also do the steps below.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue,

create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

and

create a log file on your Windows device using BDsysLog, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail:

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log files you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log files will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

• Checked directory while backups were running and did not find the '.tmp' file, as had been mentioned previously in the warnings. In fact, I found NOTHING created in that directory while Carbonite was running.