Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

The Programm does not recognize Trojans, can I trust BitDefender?

Options

I have checked an .IMG File with bitDefender and the result was "Your system is clear" but Virus Tootal detected a Win32.Outbreak Trojan. This is not the first time that bitDefender does not recognize infected files when I scan them manually.

Am I doing something wrong or is to use bitDefender as anti virus program the wrong decision

Many thanks in advance for your replies

Ernst

Best Answer

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Can you share the virustotal links of all the samples that bitdefender failed to detect.

In future you can use the the link provided by @Alexandru_BD to report the samples directly to the malware research team. Additionally, make sure you have all the options selected and enabled as stated by @Gjoksi

You can also share the virustotal links here if you find that bitdefender is not detecting any sample in future and it will be taken care of.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

Answers

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @Ernst R,

At first glance, this looks like a false negative scenario.

A false negative refers to a situation where security software fails to detect an actual threat. Bitdefender detects about 99.51% of viruses in the wild, so it is possible, although very unlikely, that a virus will get past its filters. This is mainly because new malware is released continuously and there is a time gap between when a virus is created and when we add detection for it. Other situations concern PUA/PUP programs installed with the user’s consent in bundled packages, which do not trigger an alert because the user has accepted the license agreement to use them.

You can use the dedicated form located at the link below, to submit a sample to the Bitdefender Labs for further analysis:

Once confirmed, detections are corrected within hours.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello.

Only the malware researchers at Bitdefender Labs can help you with the issue.

You should report the file(s) as false negative to Bitdefender Labs here:

You could also share the VirusTotal link of the file(s) that was/were detected to the malware researchers.

Finally, here are my Settings for the Antivirus module:

At last, but not least, you should run a System Scan on your device, by following these steps:

NOTE: Exporting the scan log file is not mandatory.

Regards.

• Ernst R
    Options

Thanks for all your help. BitDefender already implemented the new trojan signature into their programm and the file is detected as infected now. This happens before I reported the file to them.

Nevertheless I must say that this is already the third case where other anti virus programs detected an infection but BitDefender did not so I always have a bad feeling when I scan certain files with BitDefender and I always have to countercheck the result with virus total.

Usually I am very satisfied with BitDefender and its features but when it fails to detect treats then i strongly think about resign my subscription and look for an other anti virus programm

In every case thanks for your prompt reply

Ernst