Web Protection on BitDefender phone app: "Illegal" connections

I just noticed there have been around 16,000 connections on my phone this week (around 25% of the total number of connections) which have been put under the "Illegal" traffic category. Last week I had around ~100 connections which fell under this category.

What does this mean? Should I be concerned? Thanks.

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Kindly contact the bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/ and scroll down to the bottom of the webpage where you can get in touch with support representative either by email, chat or over a call.

Alternatively, you can also share your query with bitdefender mobile support team by dropping them an email at bms@bitdefender.com

The support team will reply back to your query within next 24-48 hours excluding weekends.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited May 2023

Hello @Chipps and thanks for joining the conversation here.

Even though the respective category is called 'illegal', this shouldn't be alarming, as it doesn't necessarily mean that the user is attempting to do illegal things. It means that this category includes the domains that fall into this category, according to content about illegal topics.

In regards to the connections, some domains fall into several categories, so the sum of the connections presented in the category section may be higher than the sum of the scanned connections.

The information from the DNS server is sent in batches to the cloud/connect area where it is stored (and then displayed in the app) - sometimes it is not updated instantly.

Even if certain applications are not open / run in the background on the device, they can be woken up by the system at certain times of the day by Push Notifications or other rules programmed in that app where the apps update themselves and can make traffic on the Internet.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I do get many illegal trafic connection . What does it mean?